Just thought I'd start a conversation for anyone who's working on weight loss or maintenance. As most of us head into the colder months and we face holidays featuring candy, cake, big dinners, parties, etc., it can be tough for most people to stay on track and meet their goals. I can't offer a spreadsheet to help people track their weight each week like we've had in the past, because I know I'll never have time to keep it up to date. But please chime in if you'd like advice or support, need to vent, want to share a success story, etc.

I won't bore you with the details, but in the past year I've been fighting weight creep -- a few pounds here, a few pounds there, lose a few, gain them back, etc. Right now I'm about 5-6 pounds more than I was, though at times it's been closer to 10 pounds too much. I know that's not a huge gain, but the extra weight is concentrated in one area, making too many of my clothes too tight to wear. And I did not enjoy shopping for a new dress for a wedding that I'll be attending this weekend.

I try to follow Nancy Clark's advice about fueling well during breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack, then cutting back on calories at dinner. But I guess I've cut too much at dinner, because I end up eating candy afterwards. I've tried not buying any candy, but then I end up eating too much of some other sweet, like dried fruit or granola bars. (I seem to have developed adult-onset sweet tooth, since I never had much of a taste for candy or dessert until the last couple of years.) I've also made an effort to eat more protein-rich foods in the past year or so, to help with recovery after bike rides. I've worked on substituting protein for carbs rather than adding calories, which I would think would be better for weight management. I don't think it's helped, though.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Anyone else have a story to tell?