Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Is cycling in the rain wrecking my ride?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone! hopefully were all enjoying riding this fall. It's my favourite time of year. Not to hot, not to cold, and full of beautiful colours
    This has happened with two different bikes.......
    I've been out riding in heavy rain a few times this month and I've noticed after about 30-40 min I can feel a type of "grinding" sensation in the pedals on the downward stroke. I'm wondering if what I'm feeling is the chain slipping? Or is water getting into the crank and messing with the bearings? I was assuming the crank would be weather resistant if not waterproofed?. Other than oiling the chain more often than usual, I don't do anything else to the bike. I'm starting to wonder if there is something extra maintenance wise I need to be doing if I'm taking the bikes out in heavy rain? does riding In the rain wreck your bike?....gulp....
    No pressure No diamonds

Lot’s of bikes go through lots of rainy weather and have long lives…..personally I'd make sure my chain, cassette, chain rings and rear derailleur are grit free, cleaned, dry and then re-lubed after rides in heavy rain. I'd clean brake pads and rims too. Lubing the exposed springs in clipless pedals and cables can't hurt every now and then. If your frame is steel then ‘frame saver’ is a good idea if it’s going to be a rain bike.
    Cleaning can be messy but it shouldn't take too long once you get a routine down….but then I like cleaning my bikes.

Your bottom bracket is protected somewhat by a front fender. Even a sealed one should be disassembled and cleaned after a rainy season ends though. If the chain etc. cleaning doesn’t fix it you might want to do that. Cleaning and re-greasing hubs once or twice a year is a good idea too.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I think you may hearing/feeling a dry chain. It won't squeak or make that classic "hedge full of sparrows" sound if it's drenched in water, but it can feel sort of grindy.

Unfortunately rain here usually means low temperatures. If I have to ride in the rain I try to make sure to dry my bike out quite fast, by taking it inside somewhere warm and dry. When dry I relube the chain with a heavy oil, and let sit until the next use. I leave a rag hanging over the rear triangle, to remind me to wipe off the excess oil before I take the bike out again.

Other parts of the bike can get the oil washed out too, but the chain is by far the most exposed. I've routed my rear brake cable through a housing that goes the full length of the bike, zip-tied to the fram, to minimize exposure, seems to help. I've also lengthened my front fender with half a plastic bottle+zipties, which helps to protect the bottom bracket.

I think most bikes can handle rain quite well if they're allowed to dry quickly and re-lubed regularly, but the mud and sand that the rain can bring with it is worse.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Do you know of any good videos I could watch to learn how to do this?
    putting 'cleaning bicycles' into a youtube search brings up a few thousand results....I learned by figuring it out on my own and some web searches for tools, brushes for cassette etc., fluids and lubes and such. Youtube helps me with mechanical things if I need it. Most of my mechanical learning was working with more knowledgeable friends on their bikes. I think getting to know my bikes so well helps as another self confidence plus.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

We just take the bikes into the shower with us. the information is right here on TE;

http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_happy
    Last edited by Trek420; 10-24-2014 at 08:05 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    We just take the bikes into the shower with us. the information is right here on TE;

http://www.teamestrogen.com/content/asa_happy
    thats a good description of cleaning.....on the main community page the link to 'How-To Guides On Other Sites' has the basic sites i've searched on.

On ragbrai i had a farmer (who was on the road in front of his farm doing this for riders) completely soak me and my bike with a hose on a very hot and humid iowa day......that's kind of a shower