Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Gloves for colder weather

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, here in Central Iowa, the weather has gotten cold and rainy really fast! This is my first year back into cycling and because of trips and other things ( I had a garden I had to keep up with all summer) I didn't ride nearly as much as I had hoped. So while in Florida last week, I decided I was going to come home and ride as much as I could before winter. I get home and it's practically winter already!
    I started buying cold weather gear last spring so that I could get an early start, so I have base layers, jackets, and tights.
    The next thing I need is warm gloves. I remember my hands getting cold last spring and pulling the little knit gloves over my normal cycling gloves didn't cut it.

Any recommendations? I plan to ride until the weather gets to around 40, at this point anyway. I need more experience in the cold to know. But I don't think I want anything too bulky. So I 'm probably not looking for a dead of winter type glove. I was looking at the Louis Garneau Gel Ex glove here at TE. I also noticed what looked like a nice glove on the Terry website. It's tough not being able to see and feel them in person.

I've been riding through the winters for many years, and have used every brand of glove that is out there. For me, I've found that the xc ski gloves are much better, and I own several pair from SWIX. They all are sold with a temperature rating, which will give you a basic idea of your riding and the temps that you ride in. Good luck in your search and let us know what your thoughts are.

I have an older version of these (without the padding - I think it's a nice addition). They work well (for me) from low 60's (where I'll be warm) into the 40's (where I'll start wishing for more). There's an older version on sale (depending on your size).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I wear thin wool glove liners under Bontrager windshell gloves, which are unlined. This works for me down to 40 degrees, and below that I don't ride. It's a bit inconvenient dealing with two layers when you need to take them off and put them back on again, but I like the versatility -- if you start to warm up, you can take the liners off.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I love my Ibex Kilo II gloves. I've got a bit of Raynaud's, so if it isn't going to get much above 40°F for the duration of a ride I may need something additional, but they're plenty for a ride that starts below freezing if it's sunny and will warm up within a couple of hours. They're comfortable up to 60°F or so since they breathe, though they might get a little sweaty.

Remember that a lot of keeping your extremities warm actually happens in your core. Sometimes an extra base layer is the best thing I can do to keep my fingers warm.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Remember that a lot of keeping your extremities warm actually happens in your core. Sometimes an extra base layer is the best thing I can do to keep my fingers warm.
    Very true. Also I find that warm wrists and ankles are necessary for comfortable hands and feet.

I tend to have very cold hands and feet when I'm not riding my bike, and I need very warm mittens for driving or walking around in winter. But I haven't had much trouble keeping my hands warm when I ride, and except for the time of year when the sun is really low (within a few weeks of the winter solstice) I've been surprised at how easily I can keep warm above the waist. (My legs and feet are a different issue, however, and I needed warmer tights and booties than most of the friends I rode with last winter.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

All great suggestions! The great thing about the SWIX gloves that I forgot to mention is that they have long cuffs at the wrists, so no more drafts up your sleeves. Truly the best gloves around..

Yup, I wear Swix XC ski gloves as well as soon as I need something warmer than shorties. That's mostly because they're versatile and cheapish and I already have them for skiing, but I'm also happier with them than the cycling specific gloves I've tried. When it gets really cold I go to lobster gloves, I have thinnish ski ones from Swix and thicker bike ones from PI.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Was looking into this at our sports store today as our days will be getting colder soon too.

Which would be better for cold but not freezing temperatures (not riding when it is way too cold). But a nice fall ride - even without sun can be fun.

Classic Women`s Glove
    http://www.swixsport.com/eway/images...0144-90800.jpg

365-Training gloves Unisex
    http://www.swixsport.com/eway/imgstore/a0d3f6c4b5.jpg

I have a whole combo of things I wear. I have the lighter weight Terry full fingered gloves for temps below 55 or so. I generally like to wear my Ibex liners under these and let it go at that, down to about 45. But, I also have a pair of Mavic men's mid weight thermal gloves in a size small that fit me perfectly. I can wear them in the low 40's. I generally don't ride when it's colder than 35, although I have. I do have a pair of PI Amphibs, and they are extremely warm. But once, my glove got caught in the shifter and I haven't worn them since. My dexterity feels compromised in them, but I may try again. I bought a pair of lobster gloves, but I couldn't deal with them; I don't do well well with changes in how things feel/work, so I gave them to my son, who has little hands for a guy. He commuted through the winter one year, and he used them.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Helene, I have the classic Swix gloves in the photo, and like them. I'm used to and like the long cuffs, I don't like a gap at my wrists once it gets cold enough to start covering up. But I have "fat hands" and can wear shorties down to quite low temperatures.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thank you for your reply. I will try to see where in the area I can get gloves like those. If not, I guess any long fingers will have to do. It's not like I'd cycle 2000km in the cold. hihi

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Down to -5 degrees C, which we've had some mornings this wk., I just wear a pair of long gloves with some padding, but not too thin. Sorry I haven't followed up on the brands. I buy several prs. on discount whenever something fits me properly and good for hand protection.

Down to -10 degrees C and colder, I must wear my winter lobster claw gloves or something thicker, since I have some Raynauld's Syndrome in my fingers. They do get cold faster compared to 15 yrs. ago. I ride as cold as -24 degrees C in winter. So when you get quite cold, you will choose warmth, durability, water repellency --regardless of brand, how cool it looks.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

OMG...-24c. No way you'll see me on a bike. haha I'll be on my trainer, or snowshoes (but at warmer celcius). -24c we stay by the fireplace. haha

My LBS has a 50% sale on almost everything tomorrow (but bikes). Since we know him well he told hubby and I to get there before this week to avoid the crowd.

So I got myself some gloves that are good as down as 7c. That's good enough for me. Especially at half price. i'm rarely cold to the hands anyway so it should be good for me. I did not want the super thick gloves they had. So I took an in-between. Made by Specialized.

Also got some leg/arm warmers while I could benefit from that 50% sale.

Tomorrow should be 12-14c. I will need to wear those long covers. I should be good. But now it is raining and yacky out there. Viva Fall!!!