Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Compression for recovery - question

I just ordered a pair of CEP compression calf sleeves. I actually decided to buy them because I want something to wear during long car trips, and I figured they might also help after long bike rides. I don't want compression socks because I cannot stand to wear tight socks. Socks with extra tight elastic around the foot drive me crazy. Also in the summer I wear sandals and I don't wear socks with them. So I figured the calf sleeves would be good.

However I now see on CEP's website that they recommend against wearing calf sleeves for recovery or while on an airplane because they can cause fluid to pool in your feet.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this -- are they just being overly cautious in their warning, or do I have to return them (in which case I guess I won't be wearing anything compressive and will continue to have fluid retention in my legs)?

Thanks!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I've read the same thing on an exercise physiologist's blog. IIRC he actually did a comparo, with a sleeve on one leg and nothing on the other, and showed how much the un-compressed foot swelled. It makes sense to me, but I don't know anything more about it. Lost the link, sorry ....

I'm in the same place with my feet being wide out of all proportion to the size of my legs. I have one pair of hose that's 30-40 mm Hg that I can only wear for a short time until my feet hurt so badly I have to take them off, but I do wear them as long as I can after an event. Then I have a pair of drugstore brand thigh-highs that I think are 15-20 mm Hg, that I'll sleep in and wear for travel, and I do feel I get some circulation benefits from them without killing my feet.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Here's a short write-up: http://postinjuryrunning.com/Blog/?p=670

Heh! Same blog, different post, and yeah, I couldn't quite remember whether he was a PT or an exercise physiologist.

Here's the link to the post I was referring to. http://postinjuryrunning.com/Blog/?p=619
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I hate the compression socks for the same reason ny_biker but I do use them on long haul flights (6 hours or more, longest ~16 hours). I am always drinking water, though, and usually take an aspirin before such flights, sometimes also the day before, too. And I get up and walk any chance I get. The calf sleeves I have used in car drives (up to 6 hours), as well as compression tights.

You guys are awesome. BTW those red marks on his skin from the calf sleeve -- I get them from regular socks. And lots of other clothes. It's related to the chronic hives that I get.

So I'll return the calf sleeves. I might try a pair of the compression socks if I can find a pair that don't have that band around the mid foot. I think the Zoot and DeSoto socks might work.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by ny biker; 08-05-2014 at 07:24 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles