Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

You will probably be just fine splitting the load between the two of you with the two panniers, and the trailer is a bonus. For me as a solo traveller, a tent, stove, food, clothes, sleeping bag and pad, rain gear, etc. takes me up to four panniers.

Check the specs on the racks you plan to use. Many have weight ratings. Check out the Adventure Bike Touring Society site and also the blogs on crazyguyonabike.com for gear reviews and route ideas.
    2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2013 Velo Orange Campeur

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Think this has been covered, yes Cross bike is more aggressive geometry. What was interesting to us on Surly - The DH's city bike is the Surly cross check in a 58cm and fits great but he would actually go to a 56cm if he bought the Surly Straggler - again geometry.
    Touring Bikes - IMO - you don't want them to small, I'd much rather go to the longer tt and then change the stem if need be. For me, riding loaded, I like the balance a longer bike gives me. I hate feeling like I am perched over the bike, I like to be settled in the bike and become "one with the bike" I can ride a 52 or a 54 Surly LHT/DISC Trucker but like the 54 if I am using it loaded. When I was bike packing on the 54 I did put a shorter stem as I was a little to stretched out on the one that came with.
    Salsa is a nice brand of aluminum - both Salsa and Surly are divisions of QBP. We don't have Salsa only because they wanted us to carry their entire line of bikes - yikes, We are touring specific so didn't work my business model. (sorry for the digress)

Lots of shops in Maryland, Looks like Joe's Bike shop carries both brands.
    A cross bike may have a more aggressive geometry relative to a touring one (I am not sure about this) but the geometry is more relaxed relative to a road bike. Head tubes are typically taller for a more upright ride.

I'll second (third? fourth?) the Salsa Vaya. I own a Salsa Colossal, but when I was test riding bikes, I tried out the Vaya. It's very sturdy without being slow. Lots of fun to ride. I am 5'-5" and fit on a 52cm, so I imagine you would fit just fine on a 50 or 52cm.

I have a follow up question: Do we think its appropriate to buy a steel bike when it will be spending some time in the rain? I commute to work and have to lock up to an uncovered rack (security guards don't let me bring my bike inside). I'm not too worried about security because I've been parking my hybrid there for a year with no issues, and there's cameras and security guards around (fed building), but I am a little worried about my fancy new bike getting rained on. I probably won't bike in when its absolutely pouring but at the very least it will be exposed to mid-day drizzle. Does that change anything here? I mean I imagine touring bikes are built to get rained on right?

Treat it with Frame Saver prior to building, touch up scratches with paint or nail polish, and it should be fine. I don't worry too much about riding either my steel MTB or steel road bike in the damp and drizzly. Pouring rain requires some more post-ride care, but that's true for any frame material IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Msquared2 View Post
    I'll second (third? fourth?) the Salsa Vaya. I own a Salsa Colossal, but when I was test riding bikes, I tried out the Vaya. It's very sturdy without being slow. Lots of fun to ride. I am 5'-5" and fit on a 52cm, so I imagine you would fit just fine on a 50 or 52cm.
    Hey, I think I know who you are...and we're on another forum together (RunningAHEAD.com). Howdy!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2