Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

What a fun trip that wil be! Hope you'll have a few extra days for sightseeing on both ends, so much to see!

Clothing like those Pearl Izumi Impact capris will be perfect. You won't see much Lycra or high-viz being worn in Belgium and the Netherlands. Even for trips like this many people just bike in street clothes. Stores like REI carry a lot of casual cycling clothes these days - not Lycra but looking more like regular street clothes with a comfortable cut designed for casual cycling. Sometimes with chamois. That kind of stuff will blend right in and be comfy to ride in. Don't forget to pack some rain gear.

esoteric what a great tour that will be, that is close to our dream trip of cycling in the Netherlands...never would have thought of bringing my own saddle, but that is a great idea. Seems like you have all your bases covered really. Sounds like you won't be packing your own belongings, the tour company will do that for you?? That will make it so much easier. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

We always pack our own saddles and pedals for tours.
    A different bike is bad enough!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

All of our gear stays on the boat and it moves with us so we don't even have to pack up in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by esoterrica View Post
    All of our gear stays on the boat and it moves with us so we don't even have to pack up in the morning!
    I did a bike and barge trip from Brugges to Amsterdam a few years ago in late Sept/early Oct with VBT. It was fabulous.

We had our choice of bikes - road bikes or hybrids, and we chose road bikes since that is what we all used at home. We took our own pedals and seats however. Fortunately our guides were smarter than we were - yes they brought 3 road bikes for us in the appropriate sizes, but they also brought hybrids for us as well. Knowing the terrain, some of the areas we were riding had cobblestones, a couple unpaved paths. We used the hybrids but we did use our pedals. The 3 of us all used Frogs, so we were able to clip in, and still walk around for the sightseeing parts.

THe cycling was really nice, and you'll be there at a time when there will be more gardens to view. I have just moved to a new house, and if I could find my notes/itinerary I'd give you some of the highlights, but you may be enroute before that happens.

The UNESCO National Heritage Site where all the windmills are is especially beautiful, I forget the name right now. The ride into Ghent was good. The actual ride into Amsterdam was a little hectic - crowds, traffic, confusing but we made it.

There was one instance where the boat was not able to meet us at the appointed location - was not able to "lock-through" in time with the tide so we had a detour that day. The sag wagon would take you if you were too tired to ride.

One thing you might want to think about - our cue sheets were all in kilometers, and the bikes did not have computers. They are cheap enough that at least one in your group ought to bring a wireless computer set to km to help you navigate. We got lost a few times and had to ask for help more than once. When the cue sheet says go 7km and turn left at the trashcan on to an unmarked street you can see the potential for getting lost when you have no idea if you are at 6 or 8km. Your tour group may provide computers - ask.

The food was great, especially in Belgium. I wish I was going with you. Have fun!
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    The UNESCO National Heritage Site where all the windmills are is especially beautiful, I forget the name right now.
    the Mill Network at Kinderdijk-Elshout ?

I'll second BikeDutchess' recommendation for light rain gear.

Have a great time!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    the Mill Network at Kinderdijk-Elshout ?

I'll second BikeDutchess' recommendation for light rain gear.

Have a great time!!!!
    Yes that's it. And definitely bring rain gear, including pants. I think we wore rain gear for some portion of almost every day. We all brought saddles but I don't think any of us bothered to install them. The hybrids provided were really nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0225.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	17246

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0226.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	17248

Oh, and it's flat, but with flatness comes a price. Very windy!
    Last edited by withm; 07-05-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.