Hello all,

I thought I should introduce myself, having just joined the forum so here goes:

I've been commute cycling across town most of my life and these past two years since we moved to Cornwall (which is rural and very 'up and down!'). I've been cycling once a week or so to a very physical job and the cycle ride includes 31/2 miles each way of stiff hills and long inclines. The first week I thought I was going to die LOL and was unspeakably shattered after the ride plus a full days slog. It took a while but by the end of summer I was doing much better and even cycling faster! And as a bonus, I had lost weight and felt much healthier. This was all on a rather 'sit up and beg' Raleigh with iffy gears. With hubby's encouragement I tried a ride on his Trek and found it sooooo much easier so I'm now awaiting the LBS's call to say my new 2014 Trek 7.2 FX WSD is ready to collect!

I can't wait! I've never had any proper cycling clothing and have ordered a few bits also. I want to go out cycling my own longer circuits (the job will end soon so that's another incentive to keep cycling.)

I was reading on another thread about other peoples' perceptions of what 'I should be doing at my age' and that applies to me too. I fully expect all my acquaintances to start eyeing straitjackets when I tell them I'm leaving the job (so collective sighs of relief) but I'm upping the cycling! (Looks of pure horror) But I only have to see how hard they find it just to walk up the easy hill where our village is and I know I'm doing the right thing.

And... I'm so glad to have found this forum! So how do you do? Lovely to meet you! :-)