I met last night with my trainer. Spent 1.5h going through what I wanted, my goals, did some tests on my abilities, how well I can do the basic exercises (postures) for squats, lunges, plank, arm shaping with weights, etc. She was impressed as very minimal corrections were required in my moves. She said for someone not trained/or rather did little road bikes, that my technic was excellent. With time, we will work on putting all of what I want in place. She was also very impressed to see someone my age (yep…not always the case she says with people over 50) to be so motivated and ready to work hard!

She uses the SMART training method. She again was impressed by how ready I was when I met her. I did not know what smart was but I had all the answers she wanted to hear. She did not have to dig it out of me and I knew what my goals were. At least the “dream” I wanted to see come alive.
http://smarttrainingla.com/

She will put up my plan (which she has to create this week) on a website for me to go to (probably Thursday). We will be able to share notes, comments, track my training time, etc. in-between visits. I should meet her monthly to re-visit our goals, what works, and not. From what I understood, it will be 3h per week for lower intensity and a 4h block on weekend to push the limits. We’ll adjust as we go along as the 1st sets may not take as long as the repeats will be minimal. She will built something in the style of cross-fit, but adapted to my condition.

As I am not a fan of cycling vs the love of running (which no longer allowed due to knees) she said she will get me to love and have fun on my bike by not pushing it down my throat. As an example, she may have me do the bike for 15 minutes, hop on treadmill for 10-15 and then finish on the bike. Then extend the time on the bike and reduce the one on treadmill. But for now, nothing of this. We’re not there yet for my “safety”.

My main goal right now is to just regain my overall physical fitness, which should lead me to lose the 20 pounds I want to see disappear. I've been away from gym for over 9 months due to major injuries. So she will make sure my strength is better before I'm even allowed to run or cycle on intervals. My deadline is set for mid-June as I have signed myself (and hubby) for a 150km bike ride challenge. In a hilly part of our province! Still searching what bubble blew in my head to think of something like this. Deuh! For a challenge, it will be a huge challenge. I better work out hard to get there and finish, but it is do-able. We have enough time ahead to be top-shape!

I do not know my plan just yet but she said "No running" and no cycling on trainer. We will have to work on gaining on muscle strength more than cardio right now. Once my muscle mass is getting in better shape, it will be time to attack the cardio more seriously. Doing it this way she said will avoid more knee injuries (getting my lower body, including abs, in a better condition) and back injuries. She wants my large muscle groups and my core to be in better shape to attack the rest of the program.

She's a physiotherapist, plus a kinesiotherapist. So I am in excellent hands. I can't wait to see what my program will look like. But it will be a gradual thing.

Just the exercises that was done last night to check me out left me sore this morning. Promising. It was not even a full program. Hihi An $85 well spent. And I learned this morning at work that we have group insurance covering this up to $1000. I thought I would have to use my $600 gym activity type related allowance through payroll (taxable benefit) to cover those expenses. Nope. That is even better news. Paid by our group insurance and not taxed on it (note that with the premiums we pay at work, it’s not free!)

So the countdown has begun and there is no turning back. Let’s rock and roll as of tomorrow night!