Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

4 mile walk/run on the treadmill yesterday -- about half and half with intervals.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Oak - that's funny! I always wonder what other runners are thinking of me when I'm running at a speed that is clearly a challenge for me!

Today was an amazing run. I did 8 miles, which is my favorite route anyway, but on top of that, it was a spectacular day for running. Mid 40's, dry, bright sun, no wind... such a joy! I also stuffed my face full of food yesterday, so I my glycogen stores were well topped off and I could totally feel it. I was strong all the way to the end and I had to make myself stop running (even then, it was at 8.2 miles!). I need to file this feeling away for all the runs yet to come that I'm sure will totally suck.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    GLC, I think you nailed one of the fundamental issues a lot of women have with running (and other activities that require a high energy expenditure): they don't eat enough. It's a struggle to figure out how much to eat to fuel running and reconcile that with whatever programming each of us has in our head (and even harder if one is trying to lose weight). I am very sensitive to trying to keep my weight at a maintenance level, but I will often not eat enough. I'm getting better about eating foods with good fat and not freaking out; for years I ate too little fat of any kind. And there is no doubt that I run much stronger when I've had several days of good, balanced eating. Most importantly, in the fall I discovered that I run really, really strong the day after moderate red wine consumption. It was not a one-time experience!

Hubs and I ran out on the island in the Great Salt Lake today (Antelope Island). Conditions were sketchy but manageable; lots of old snow, ice, and some mud and it looked like the bison have been having parties on the trails (big bison foot holes everywhere). It was slow going, which was good. I don't need to be running fast these days. We saw a huge herd of pronghorn, probably 70-80 animals. Very beautiful. And we saw a grand total of one other person on the trail. I love running out there.

Had a beautiful 3 mi run today outdoors. I've finally discovered that instead of all-out stopping when it gets too tough, I can just slow down & plod along. It doesn't have to be full-bore or not at all. I think I live up to being an Aries in that respect
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    GLC, I think you nailed one of the fundamental issues a lot of women have with running (and other activities that require a high energy expenditure): they don't eat enough. It's a struggle to figure out how much to eat to fuel running and reconcile that with whatever programming each of us has in our head (and even harder if one is trying to lose weight). I am very sensitive to trying to keep my weight at a maintenance level, but I will often not eat enough. I'm getting better about eating foods with good fat and not freaking out; for years I ate too little fat of any kind. And there is no doubt that I run much stronger when I've had several days of good, balanced eating. Most importantly, in the fall I discovered that I run really, really strong the day after moderate red wine consumption. It was not a one-time experience!
    Yellow - I know exactly what you mean. Over the past 6 months, I've been diligently tracking my food, eating an incredibly nutritious and well balanced diet and being very, very consistent about it. BUT, I've spent a lot of that time in a deficit (intentionally as I'm working on losing weight). I've all but (temporarily) given up on recreational biking because I just don't have the energy stores to recover after a hard effort (like a hill). But running hasn't been too much trouble, mostly because I just don't run very hard. That said, I have now done two longer runs that have come after a day or two of really over-eating both calories and carbohydrates and the difference in my ability to stay strong for extended periods is remarkable. I'm really looking forward to the point where I'll be happy to maintain my weight (and eat more!)...for performance.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I haven't run since last Tuesday, but walking enough to make up for it. About 10 miles in at least ankle-deep snow on Saturday to get where I needed to go and then to get my dog her needed exercise, it left me more tired and sore than running that distance would.

Might get to the gym for a date with the treadmill later today, or might not. We'll see.

Damn, ladies. SIX PAGES of posts for a month in the middle of winter is awesome. Cold? Snow? Rain? Pshaw. We keep going (even if it is the dreadmill or a slow ambulation forward).

As of my lunchtime run, I have logged 100K this month. Not bad since I had not done any running since I got out of the military and swore not to run again (1996) and last summer.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Yet another treadmill run/walk -- 45 minutes on a chilly, windy, gray day on North Padre Island. High of 45 in the morning and getting colder from there. One of the three really icky days we've had here this month. Can't complain!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

We got out for 4 miles yesterday. It was about 15 degrees. We decided to try or rail trail and it was a frozen lumpy mess. We probably would have been better off on the trails. We got another 4 inches of snow last night and I have a delayed opening today. I think I might walk to school. I only live a couple of miles away and it is all neighborhood. The hubs does not like the idea but since when has that ever stopped me!

Sunday I did a 5K trail run. It's a pretty technical trail for these flatland areas. Its a mountain bike trail with lots of rollers and turns. I had fun. My overall time wasn't great but met an old friend there and we ran together. I never run with anyone...I seem to have a pace that is steady but slow, don't catch those fast ladies and pass the people that started out to fast and then turn to walkers. Anyway I had a fun time running with a running buddy and I do love that trail. Today (my day off) it is rainy and chilly (but not like the rest of the world). I don't know how you all still get out there. I guess it is what you get use to. I"ll be running in extreme heat and humidity again this summer! I plan to hit the TM again today. I did 30 minute walk with high incline yesterday and I feel it in my calves today!
    So I have a question...I have lots of workout equipment, bike trainer, TM, free weights, bands, boss...but lack motivation to push myself. I have always hated gym memberships and normally waste that money. I do feel that I may need a group activity to push myself. Even if I plan a workout here at home, I don't think I push myself like I should. I really have to get this weight off and I know part of it (a big part) is my diet. But I also feel like I need good hard workouts and not sure what to do. Looking to get motivated and find better ways to push myself! Advise?
    K
    katluvr

Well, I exercised totally at home for 2 years, while I was in grad school, except for one summer of yoga classes at a studio. I have a trainer, a treadmill, some weights, a ball, yoga dvds, and a winter cycling training program, that has lots of fucntional fitness/weights stuff. It was OK, I didn't gain any more weight or lose fitness than usual, but I did start to miss the group peer pressure. Mind you, I get most of my exercise outside, through riding, hiking, winter stuff. So, I joined a cheaper gym and go mostly for the "boot camp" classes. Occasionally, I go to a spin class or a yoga class. I think going to these boot camp classes 2 days a week has made me a lot stronger, and introduced me to new kinds of stuff. Some I could (and do) do at home. If you can find a DVD with these types of exercises, it might help, if you want to do it at home.
    I am pretty disciplined, but it is much easier to cheat doing it at home. I allow myself to give in a lot more when I am riding, than at the gym! I need to get back to doing more group rides.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Maybe pick up a training plan, kat? Working with a coach now, is a whole different mental trip from being self-coached. I think you could still get a lot of the motivation and remove a lot of the stress just by having *something* external tell you what your workout for the day was going to be.

I did videos at home for a few years in the '90s. It was finally the boredom that got to me. Having a stack of videos only helped so much. I'd smart off to the video instructors, parody things I knew were coming up, and it still only did so much to relieve the boredom. It just got to the point where I could not do it any more, and that's when I re-joined the gym.

GLC and Yellow - interesting discussion about fueling. I've honestly found that in the short term it's just about the carbs, laying down plenty of glycogen. If I go to the movies and scarf an entire box of candy, I'll run stronger the next day than I will the day after a nice clean dinner of fish and greens ... Not that I scarf candy every day, or that I don't feel the benefits of good nutrition. But as far as raw, short-term performance results, I really notice that. I've been thinking back to the few months I had anorexia after I hit puberty. I really don't know why it didn't set me up for a lifetime of eating disorders, or how I was able to get past it without help. But you've got me thinking that it was about the same time I discovered sports. I *didn't* have a conscious realization or decision that not eating was hurting my performance, as obvious as it must've been to my coaches and teammates. But I think maybe it helped me realize that my body was good for something besides being loathed.

Anyway ... just a little recovery run plus some drills today, and tomorrow's my day off. That gives me 137 miles for January. I'd been feeling like my mileage was kind of light, but I went through my logs, and it's actually in line with what I've done when I've been training for past spring marathons. The difference is just that I haven't been cycling. I miss it, a little, but I'm working plenty hard. On to February.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-30-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

<3 Food <3 The perfect ultra running trifecta of foods: Pringles, potatoes, and pop tarts. Truly an amazing combination. You could throw peanut butter (or almond butter) in there, too (quadfecta?). I have a friend who started eating avocados during ultras, just dip a spoon in and eat it. I might try that this year. Any excuse to eat avocados.

This is my 2nd week back on a "real" schedule although I am easing in to it. Did a progression run tonight and it was fine. I was afraid of it but I survived!

So I had a couple of good days with some increased activity (mixed things up a bid) and cleaning up my diet. I had to go back to my oral surgeon yesterday and had a bit of unexpected "re-work". I ran the day after my procedure last week and ended up with a LOT of unexpected swelling, not sure if the two are related but decided to skip the run today. Of course it is drizzling ran and only 50 (too chilly for me!) so that would of not made for a nice run anyway.

Interesting discussion about carbs and running. I probably have a pretty heavy carb diet...not sure I ever really can tell what helps or hurts my running. I do run better on fresh legs. I can go a week without running and then put in a longer than normal run and that usually is when I feel best.

K
    katluvr