Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

January rides -- outdoors!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just finished my first bike ride of 2014. I had expected it to be too cold to ride outside today, especially since Santa did not bring me the Firewall tights I had asked him for. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was sunny and 49 degrees with no wind chill this afternoon, so I pumped up the tires and went for a spin. I decided to keep it simple and just do loops around my neighborhood with some hill repeats to get the legs working. I rode for about an hour.

All in all it was nice, though my feet were cold for much of the ride. Right now I'm having a bit of a post-ride asthma-chest-tightness thing, but my lungs did not hurt during the ride, and I'm getting over a cold, so I'm more concerned about solving the cold-foot problem. I expect warmer legs will help -- today I wore Shebeest capris under my Midzero tights, and they worked pretty well, but still left my lower legs a bit cold. I ordered the Firewall tights from TE a couple of days ago and they shipped out last night so I should have them soon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Congrats on starting the New Year with a ride! I am truly jealous.

But...sigh....I won't be riding until Monday (no winter joy riding this far north this year) and it will be my coldest yet. December this year was like January of years past. Monday morning I'm looking at around -16F with a daytime high of only 0F. Arrgggh....at least there won't be snow. I can handle the cold, but snow still scares me.

May the descent to colder temperatures turn around so we can all ride with joy!
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

I am really not liking this winter so far!! I hope the colder-than-normal trends to not continue.

Fortunately we're not expecting much snow with the coastal storm that will hit the northeast tomorrow night, but they're calling for a blizzard on Long Island where my parents live, so I am concerned for them. And then we will all have very cold temps to end this week. Brrrrrrr.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I also had my first ride of the year - 25 miles on an old mountain bike I hadn't ridden in at least 6 years. Now that I mainly ride my road bike, the mountain bike certainly feels more sluggish. I feel like I burned more calories on the bumpy trail than on the road although Mapmyride claims otherwise! Happy new year, everyone! May 2014 be filled with lots of great rides and smiles.

They are calling for highs next week of ZERO and perhaps not THAT high!!!!!!!!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk (pulling warm blankets over my head and not coming out until spring)

8.5 miles for us on the mountain bikes. Gorgeous weather, low sixties. I'll put more about the ride in mountain biking.

Veronica

Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Yup, tomorrow night through Sat. AM is going to be around 0 F or less. Snowstorm starting at 4 AM, going through Friday at noon. I already cancelled my morning session, a meeting, and definitely the afternoon. Tomorrw's snow is supposed to be intermittent, getting heavy tomorrow night, but I have about 130 miles of driving and there is no way I am doing that, even in a small storm.
    Can't wait to start my new job, and this is one of the big reasons!
    But, the x country skiing will be awesome this weekend, with temperatures rising after the morning on Saturday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We started the year off yesterday with a team ride - temp was around 20-25. We managed just over 34 miles on the road.

It's definitely been cold here in the Northeast, and looks to continue. I rode outdoors every day in December but 5, and will probably see a similar trend in January (though I do have to go to Florida to visit my parents one weekend, and am not taking my bike). The fat bikes have helped - we've been riding in really cold conditions (Christmas Eve in Bethel was about 10 degrees) and in the snow. Despite the blizzard that has started here, we'll probably ride today/tomorrow as well.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Ooff. I don't know that we have reached "blizzard" status here yet, but the snow has been falling steadily since we got up. DH and I decided to head out on the fat bikes before it accumulated too much. All I can say is that was decidedly un-fun. Under all of the snow, the trails were complete ice. I fell no less than 1/2 dozen times, and determined that bar mitts are great for good riding, but terrible when you are trying to break a fall. The good news is that I just have a couple of bumps and bruises. Oh - and the temperature was 16 when we started, and 12 by the time we got home! BBBRRR!

SheFly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0015a.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	16866
    Looks beautiful, but under that snow is a LOT of ice. In fact, I am crashing right behind this photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0016a.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	16867
    Slow and steady trying to stay upright.

You don't make that sound like any fun.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Went to Palm Springs and rode from there to Joshua Tree National Park and brought the new year in with Joshua Trees, lots of stars and a good friend. Rode back to Palm Springs, got a great massage and dinner and we headed back home. 70’s during the day, 50’s at night and 145 miles total.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Got out for my first 2014 ride today. It was a short ride, and was snowing... although most of you are receiving the same weather. Cold here with lower temps and wind coming. But I definitely see a commute to work tomorrow on the Fatbike.

V - it wasn't. I just wanted to go home. Sadly, the only "safe" way back was the way we had come. I'm skiing tomorrow. Oh - and the temp is now 3... I am jealous of your MTB riding!

SheFly

It's nasty out there...
    Skiing/snow shoeing on the agenda for the rest of the weekend.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport