Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decembrrrrr!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Decembrrrrr!

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, no one has started a December thread?

After really battling with the cold last year, I seem to be doing better so far this season. I had two runs earlier this week when it was in the mid-teens and a run in the low 20s yesterday that had me feeling like it was a heatwave--I even had to take my jacket off. The trails are all in beautiful shape--packed, cold, dry snow--so the trail running has been really nice. Slow (because it is still like running in sand), but beautiful.

I seem to be doing better regulating my temp this year. Not sure what is different. I'm a little bit chunkier but not that much chunkier

Happy running, all, whether it be out in the big world or on the dreadmill!

Early in the week it was warm here, so warm that I was running in shorts! But I haven't run since Wednesday, due to a combination of oversleeping and really crappy weather. If it's as rainy tomorrow as forecast, I'll head to the treadmill. I've already packed my bag. I will do it I will do it I will do it..... (dreading the dreadmill)

I don't think it left the 20's at home today, but I'm actually in FL this weekend...and stuck here for an extra day because American cancelled my flight. Luckily, I'm staying with my parents, so it's not too much of a hardship (even though I miss my husband, dogs and home and I fly home at a *really* sucky time Monday night).

Anyway, I did my 10 mile training run today. Totally flat, certainly hotter than I'm used to (84F), but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Sunny, not unbearably humid, and a virtually traffic-free route. Yay! I actually nailed my target pace overall even with a couple of 'wilty' miles when there was no shade. I also saw a large turtle on the side of the trail, too.

Half-marathon (shooting for a PR) is next Sunday. Can't wait...I think I'm ready!!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

No treadmill for me today, hooray! No rain, just mist this morning, and it'd been warm enough over night that the sidewalks were almost entirely ice-free. 4.5 miles, and I was surprised not to see other runners out there. The next few mornings look to be a lot colder (and possibly snowy too).

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I don't think it left the 20's at home today, but I'm actually in FL this weekend...and stuck here for an extra day because American cancelled my flight. Luckily, I'm staying with my parents, so it's not too much of a hardship (even though I miss my husband, dogs and home and I fly home at a *really* sucky time Monday night).
    I've been in San Diego running barefoot on the beach and with shoes on the boardwalk -- weather at home in the Willamette Valley is hovering around 0. Portland apparently is warmer than the valley. We have lots of snow also. I am not looking forward to getting back home after dark tonight on the snowy, icy roads either.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Hee hee ... Sounds like more of us are trying to adapt to heat, than living up to the thread title! Well since I accidentally posted Saturday's race to the November thread, I'll chime in. I'm officially starting my training plan in a week, so right now I'm just trying to adapt to the heat and claw some fitness back from the long layoff. My foot is still hanging in there, which of course is great, but it's just one more example of how clueless doctors are. If he'd listened to my history and told me a month ago to roll my calf out super deep, like I finally figured out for myself, I'd have been back in business without losing so much fitness.

Anyway I did 7.5 today and omg am I out of shape, but hopefully it will come back quick. It's always hard this time of year trying to figure out my sodium intake, when I'm suddenly living and running in heat and humidity with no acclimation. Right now the salt shaker and the tubes of Nuun U Naturals are my two best friends.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I got out twice last week, neither run that noteworthy, just putting one foot in front of the other. It is supposed to snow today so I am hoping to get out for a snow run ( which I love) later today. I went down hard on my mt bike on Sunday and I am pretty sore, no joints just all soft tissue, so hopefully that will not be an issue.

We got out for an hour run yesterday on the rail trail. It was nice, big fat flakes coming down, nice and quiet.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    We got out for an hour run yesterday on the rail trail. It was nice, big fat flakes coming down, nice and quiet.
    Embrace winter!

We've gotten a couple of slugs of snow over the last week so the trails are now officially awesome. A little packed, not icy, and squeaky-cold with good traction. I've been going out after work (with a headlamp since the damn sun sets at 5) and have had the trails to myself. The cold is forcing the megafauna down into the canyon so I've been seeing lots of deer, elk, and coyotes. I think a moose is in my future.

Off to Vegas for a work conference for the rest of the week. Not sure if I will get to run while there

I am having some dental surgery today and I am not supposed to exercise for a week. Not sure if I can do that. But what scares me, is that I am pissed I won't be able to run this weekend!
    Is this a sign?
    I already did a hard interval workout on the trainer and yoga. I will give myself until Saturday for real rest and I may have to walk on the TM. Snow is predicted for Saturday and there is a good chance there may be some nordic skiing around on Sunday. I probably shouldn't do that, but...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin isn't skiing isn't exercising, it's playing in the snow, right?

It was the treadmill for me today as it was 20F outside. OK, that's not all that cold but I just couldn't face it. Only did 3 miles and it was kinda freaky that I was the only one in the room when I started at 6:15 am. Folks started flowing in around 6:30. It'll likely be the treadmill again tomorrow as we have a low of about 12 or so predicted. Or it may be an extra cup of coffee in my pjs on the couch...

Ha, ha. I am back from the surgery and my sentence is only 3 days, not a week. So I am good to go on Sunday.
    Yeah, it's going to be 12 here tomorrow morning, too. Happy for a rest day or two.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Ran my half marathon yesterday. It went well! It was a tad chilly and dreary, but considering the calendar date, it could have been so much worse that I won't complain. I executed my plan as well as possible - official time was 2:11:38 (10:02 min/mile). The target time on my training plan was 2:12:42, so I beat it. My Garmin had me at a 9:59 min/mile because it said the course was slightly long and I like that better since it starts with a 9 and not a 10!!

Overall, I'm pleased. I'm only slightly stiff today and my foot is a little bit achey. 2:11 is a PR by 4 minutes and my previous time was obtained prior to my injury/surgery. I like that progress!!

My goal for the next one is a 9:something min/mile. Now I just have to choose the race...
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Very nice GLC!! Congrats!

I'm starting my training plan this week. For as fast as my coach thinks I can run Boston, he's starting me off awfully slow. Which I kind of need to right now, considering my foot isn't 100%. So I don't need to be scared to death of the work ... yet.

Ten today, the weather was much cooler and drier, an absolutely beautiful day for a run, and it showed in my pace.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 12-16-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I am afraid my running went away when the weather got cold - so I won't be doing the Jan 25 night trail quarter marathon I was considering...and with cold-air induced asthma that was likely a wise choice. We've been doing a rowing challenge at my gym, but it ends in another week. Time to start ramping the running back up when the challenge ends! I do want to be ready for the Dirty Girl Mud Race in May, and want to hit the trails as early as possible this year. It would be nice if I didn't have to start all the way back at square one when I do that.

Congratulations GLC, sounds great! Oak, that sounds good as well, especially about not needing to be scared of the work