Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs up Great tips for mobilizing the hips!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I agree with the author of this post, early onset hip rigour mortis is an epidemic! Mobilize and stretch those hips!!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    I agree with the author of this post, early onset hip rigour mortis is an epidemic! Mobilize and stretch those hips!!
    Thanks! I find the pigeon pose from yoga to be very hip-stretchy, too.

Thanks!

Lots of yoga poses ... not just pigeon or the equally notorious Monkey and Lotus ... but simple seated pose, Warrior I, Triangle, Wheel, Dancer, Tree ... the list is very long. Oh, and my favorite, Happy Baby. But these are more dynamic and helpful in a different way!
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 11-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    These are awesome Wahine! My coach has us doing these, and many more, on a regular basis. The Pigeon Pose that Tulip mentioned is also a good one. We also do a lot of work against the wall, and I especially like (hate) the couch stretch. Here is a link to all of the You Tube videos on hip flexors by Mobility WOD (Dr. Kelly Starret) - there are some great ones here as well. Most of these I've done at one point or another. He also has some really good videos on how to counteract too many hours of sitting - though I am unsure of the ones I've in mind are free - he does have videos for his premium members ($8/month - well worth it).

Couch stretch video, this was one of his earlier videos so it isn't very clear, but clear enough and there is a good discussion about why and how to do the couch stretch and also how to work on the posterior tib & why.

I've a lot of hip issues so I do a LOT of work on my hips and glutes. The video quality of his videos do go way up over time, but even the earlier ones are well worth dealing with the quality of iPhone videos in 2010!
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-06-2013 at 02:43 PM.

These look great. Thank you.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Excellent -- I plan to try some of these. Thanks for sharing the information! Videos are so much more helpful than mere words to convey what the stretch actually looks like.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow