Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Exactly.
    I don't get why women think thongs are "inappropriate." I can't stand the feel of underwear and thongs are a happy solution for me. Besides, who sees them, except you and maybe a significant other? Nice underwear is a secret indulgence many people have and no one has to know!
    I'm probably the wrong person to comment on this topic, because my philosophy is, if you can afford it, buy it. Life is too short.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    See, that's the point though. If I walk around much with panties on, they're going into my crack. So one way of dealing with it is, the less of them there is, the better.
    I solved this issue by going commando years ago. I used to get awful yeast infections when I was lifeguarding from wearing a wet nylon suit all day and then switching to nylon panties (it was the 70's), my doc wanted me to go commando to see if that would clear things up, I got used to it and only switched back when I was wearing uniforms.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Exactly.
    I don't get why women think thongs are "inappropriate." I can't stand the feel of underwear and thongs are a happy solution for me. Besides, who sees them, except you and maybe a significant other? Nice underwear is a secret indulgence many people have and no one has to know!
    I'm probably the wrong person to comment on this topic, because my philosophy is, if you can afford it, buy it. Life is too short.
    The only way thongs are "inappropriate" is if they are worn in such a way that others can see them when you're out in public! Then again, it's not so cool if the public can see your underwear no matter what kind it is.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Me too. If I want it and I can afford it, I buy it.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Maybe we should start lusting after a Cervelo bike..after winning the lottery.

For instance, I've never had/worn a cape in my life. I've had my share of chic/cool coats...with the chicest ones from my mother...Some styles made in the 1950's are wonderful. And by today's standards, very high quality in tailoring.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    The only way thongs are "inappropriate" is if they are worn in such a way that others can see them when you're out in public! Then again, it's not so cool if the public can see your underwear no matter what kind it is.
    I don't have problems with my underwear showing. I can't find pants tight enough to stay up without a belt, let alone show seams through. I can understand not wanting seams to show throughworkout wear but I don't go to the gym anymore. I'm sure I'm just being resistant to change and still miffed over the EBAY incident.

Ah, I don't wear underwear under any workout wear... not just bike shorts. Never have, even way before I was a cyclist. Ouch, can't imagine wearing panties under running shorts or yoga pants any more than under cycling shorts.
    I agree with Jolt, in that I don't think the underwear showing look is really cool, but I usually only see that on teens.
    Shooting Star, I would *die* for some of the clothing my mom had in the fifties and early sixties. I have her "going away" suit from her wedding. Dark navy heavy wool suit. The skirt is plain A line, but the jacket is lined with some kind of navy fake fur, it's on the cuffs and collar, too. It fits me pretty well, but the skirt is a little tight. My mom weighed about 85 when she got married .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm lucky to have a coat from one of my grandmothers, circa 1965. Grey wool with a detachable fur collar and it fits like it was made for me.

The midlife indulgence I might well give in to one of these days is shaving my head. Or maybe getting a really short buzz cut.

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    The midlife indulgence I might well give in to one of these days is shaving my head. Or maybe getting a really short buzz cut.
    I'm with you there. Except it would actually be MORE work than the length I have now. Still thinking about it. I wonder how long it would take me to grow it back out if I didn't like it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    I'm lucky to have a coat from one of my grandmothers, circa 1965. Grey wool with a detachable fur collar and it fits like it was made for me.

I'm trying to figure out those who half-jokingly want a buzz/head shave: Because you're tired of coping with your hair/greying/hair colour?
    Some women look lovely ...if they have naturally well shaped heads.
    (I compliment my dearie because I honestly think he has a lovely shaped head as he grows increasingly bald. He doesn't have a squat/thuggish/lumpy looking head.)
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I would look like a mean thug if I shaved my head. I'm done with the short spikes. It was easy, but not flattering. My hair is still very short, but I have hair on top and side bangs. It makes me feel a little "sexy," rather than tough. And it softens some of my not so wonderful features.
    My DH hardly has any hair. It's cut really short, anyway, but I barely remember what he looked like with lots of hair. He was receding when I met him, at age 23, and both of my sons also have this problem, severely. I think the younger one is worse. He's already balding and he's 28!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm pretty sure a buzz cut would emphasize the grey - it sure seems to on everyone I've seen with one, male and female. Can you color your hair effectively without also visibly coloring your scalp?

It's just another hairstyle that conveys a certain look, no different in that way from any other hairstyle. I have zero interest in styles that need a lot of maintenance, which is one reason a buzz cut appeals to me more than shaving - I would think I could go several days and maybe up to a week between cuts. I've had my hair the same style for over 20 years now and I'm playing with the idea of changing my look. No different from why someone else might grow her hair out, or get a perm or color.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

They use number 4 clippers on me when I get my hair cut. It's not a buzz cut, but it's very short and super easy to take care of. I generally go 6-8 weeks between cuts. My hair grows slow.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I'm pretty sure a buzz cut would emphasize the grey - it sure seems to on everyone I've seen with one, male and female. Can you color your hair effectively without also visibly coloring your scalp?

It's just another hairstyle that conveys a certain look, no different in that way from any other hairstyle. I have zero interest in styles that need a lot of maintenance, which is one reason a buzz cut appeals to me more than shaving - I would think I could go several days and maybe up to a week between cuts. I've had my hair the same style for over 20 years now and I'm playing with the idea of changing my look. No different from why someone else might grow her hair out, or get a perm or color.
    For me, my hair is easier to care for and less maintenance when it's longer. The super short (not quite a buzz) cut was too much maintenance because my hair grows crazy fast (and there is so much of it that it was a pain to cut). My stylist NEVER got it to look the same every time, either. If I could have a cut that I could do myself, that would help.

That said, my grey/white shows MUCH more now that my hair is longer. When it was super short, the white parts were short too and therefore less noticeable. I would never have guessed that until I just went to look for the pic of me after my first 'cut off all the colored parts in one shot' haircut. It was so much darker looking than it is today (that was just over a year ago).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

My partner feels the same way. Hers is past her shoulders, one length with bangs in the front. She finds it easy and fast to fix. She also has a lot of hair and it grows fast.

Seriously, I can rub my head with a towel for 20 seconds and my hair it's dry. I love it. Haven't used a blow dryer in years.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse