Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    This came up on FB today and I thought it was apropos. Viewing generations discretely makes as much sense as viewing humans as disconnected from our environment. Attachment 16728
    big +1 from me.

Yes I was rebellious. Even in high school, I was out collecting rain water from a mine runoff. What are they going to do with a hippie kid anyway... Yes it was extremely acidic loaded with heavy transition metals.

Anyway, baby boomers just because of sheer number of them are going to put more strain on the natural resources. If human population was less than a billion, we wouldn't be having the problem we are having today to large extent.

Today's younger generation are more likely to opt out of car ownership but I think that has to do with $$.

Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Eh .. I told my kids to hold an auction for what they don't want after I am gone.
    Just haul it out to the curb!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I remember being in high school and the boys were worried about the draft and their lottery numbers. We had a debate in Civics class about whether 18 year olds should be able to vote if after all they are expected to go to war. Only one other in my class besides me believed that 18 year old were responsible enough to vote.

Ever since I have been dismayed by my generation.

I went from growing up with a dad who taught us how to hunt and how to gather wild foods to eat and live off the land, to being a conspicuous consumer, with two homes, a motorhome, a couple of cars and assorted toys. I am at times dismayed at myself. I recycle but I question its value. http://www.english.umd.edu/sites/def...ettehadieh.pdf I eat local and organic, but not because it is healthier as that is questionable, but to support the local economies. Which may be to the detriment to other economies. I only eat meat that is not "factory farmed" for moral reasons, but I actually believe I should not eat mammals or birds at all. I ride my bike to the local grocery store but then drive 500 miles to visit a friend.

At least I did not reproduce.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 10-01-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: ďThe first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.Ē

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Too bad your niece prefers gymnastics instead of walking. I have seen far too many kids permanently injured from excessive training and competition in sports when their joints are developing. Ask former gold medal winners/athletes from the 70's- 80's how they are dealing with arthritis now.
    We'll see. She's not competing for Olympic nor provincial level entry. She's probably simply training double the amount of time per wk. vs. kids enrolled in gymnastics as a start. What is good to see is a sport which a kid works towards in a goal-oriented way and learns about self-discipline and perseverance along the way. Skills that will help any kid later in life. If she does get some arthritis, better than diabetes or heart problems later when not physically active at all?

So boomers get blamed for burdening the health care system later/soon. We'll see...if soon the younger generation if some don't adopt healthier lifestyle, may need medical care for some health problems that could have been prevented. After all, we seem to hear, read enough about increasingly inactive kids/ sedentary lifestyle, etc.

Agree, that TE is not representative of all women with our lifestyles / cycling tendencies.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I am extremely proud to be of my generation. I've been rebellious all of my life and I was born at the perfect time for it.
    My own kids covered their ears and said "I don't want to hear it," when I would reminisce about the late 60s/early 70s.
    Of course, by the time I was 22 or so, it was out of my system, but I've done my part by steadfastly clinging to my belief that my life would not be defined by my kids and never stopping my career. Oh yeah, and my DH staying home with the kid for half a year, in 1983 caused quite a commotion. Frankly, these things seemed more important to me than others. I hate the holier than thou attitude some of my neighbors have. It's like reverse snobbery.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I think a lot of people who moan about "baby boomers" have no clue what a baby boomer actually is. They don't realize that the generation spans 20 years, which means that the youngest "boomers" could be the children of the oldest. They will even point to quite elderly people to make their point, not realizing that a person well past 70 is NOT a baby boomer.
    And of course, they'll go on and on about how lucky we are, how we had everything handed to us on a silver plate, etc, etc. Well, in terms of financial luck, the baby boomers were not the luckiest generation. That title belongs to people born between 1932 and 1940, for several reasons:
    - They were a relatively small cohort, because people had fewer children during the great depression. Smaller class sizes in school, less competition to get into good universities if they wanted to do that.
    - Although they lived through the depression and the second world war, they weren't old enough to have to deal with the problems directly, their parents did.
    - When they became old enough to work in the 1950s, employers were desperate for workers. It was very easy to get and keep a job.
    The whole notion of moving to the suburbs, having two cars, and driving everywhere came about in the 1950s. The boomers were children then, it was their parents who embraced this lifestyle.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Nuliajuk, I was going to say that. The problem wasn't so much the boomers. The car-dependent suburbs (and the shift in infrastructure to accommodate it), consumer culture, etc. are products of the boomers' parents more than the boomers themselves.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I thought I'd post this link. Its a bit of a one sided take, but the point it's trying to make is both the older and younger generations have had differing ways of conserving and being "green" even if it wasn't called that.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Sylvia, I love this article. Already sent it to my boomer cohorts.

I could rant, but I have a question. There are so many countries that don't think 'green', have the green rules that many 1st world countries have. What about them?

I'm 52, my adult childrena are 29 and 23.
    My mother (born in 1935) didn't have a dryer until about 15 years ago. I don't use my dryer that often. I use a clothes line, because it saves money.My father (born 1929) grew up in a house with no indoor plumbing, because they didn't have the money.

In my first marriage, we had one car for the first 8 years, because we didn't have the money. I walked everywhere with an infant.
    Now I have a little more money, but habits are hard to change. I love paper bags, I had plastic bags. We have a water filter and re-fill our own water bottles. I save my change in a glass jar. I have a vegetable garden. I re-use containers.

I thought the young kids were not buying cars because for whatever reason they have no desire for independence. Maybe it's that their parents are helicopter parents and they just don't mind. I don't get it. I work with someone who has two kids in college. They call her at least once a day. I was more independent at 14 than these kids are in their early 20's.
    cryin' won't help ya prayin' won't do ya no good

Yeah, me, too. But my kids only called a couple of times a week. Sometimes we IM'd. When DS 2 was deployed (6 times, 4 in "dangerous" places), he generally called once a week, unless he was off doing his secret intelligence stuff. One of my adult sons and his wife live about 30 minutes away. We speak every week, sometimes 10 days go by, and how often we see each other depends on the time of year. Sometimes 3-4 weeks go by and we don't see them, but then it starts feeling a little weird. We are both very busy, but he makes an effort and we enjoy spending time with them. And they only have one car , by choice. My other son and DIL live in CA, and we talk every couple of weeks, but usually there's email and FB messages in between. They both call DH to talk about stuff that is more in his area of expertise, sometimes when he is at work.
    One of my close friends in AZ talks to her adult kids incessently (they are the same age as my kids). I mean, I am just as close to my kids, but I don't feel the need to do that.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I had understood that at least some kids living in big cities (that tend to have higher rental costs or home ownership costs) and if they have graduated from university/college with debt, they simply can't afford a car at this point in life. They need their money....for technology, laptop/mobile devices, paying for Internet use, as well as living expenses etc. Regardless of whether or not they live on their own or with a parent.

Well some parents have better relationships with adult children than other parent-adult child relationships.

I really don't want to hear at work a parent on the job, talking with their adult, just-graduated-from-university child (who is still living with parent), about various chores/where are you? Etc. And yes, I do blame some boomer parents being way too involved in child's life. Let the adult child figure it out, make mistakes, etc. Sustainability means sustaining a healthy relationship among family members too with lots of room for people to grow.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I really don't want to hear at work a parent on the job, talking with their adult, just-graduated-from-university child (who is still living with parent), about various chores/where are you? Etc. And yes, I do blame some boomer parents being way too involved in child's life. Let the adult child figure it out, make mistakes, etc. Sustainability means sustaining a healthy relationship among family members too with lots of room for people to grow.
    Hmmm....I'm trying to figure out a way to argue that "sustainability" means minding your own business and not eavesdropping.

I think that talking about any generation as if it's monolithic in character, whether it's X, Y, boomer, or any other label, has VERY limited real meaning.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I really don't want to hear at work a parent on the job, talking with their adult, just-graduated-from-university child (who is still living with parent), about various chores/where are you? Etc.
    Do you know this person and his or her adult child well?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett