Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Seacost Century=FAIL

To disable ads, please log-in.

We didn't finish the ride.... not because of the terrible tragedy that happened at the beginning, though. The ride starts out with a loop to the south for 18 miles, and then you ride past the start and head north, along the water in NH. When we were about half a mile from completing the loop, we saw all of the riders stopped (maybe 200) and flashing lights. Apparently, a woman just veered over into the left lane of the bridge and hit 4 cyclists. Two or three died. We didn't know this at the time; we turned around before we saw anything (I knew better). I had a bad feeling about some of the riders and the ride in general. But, we took a very long detour around the Hampton River, onto busy roads, strip malls. Rt.1, which sucked. We finally turned onto Rt. 111, which took us back to Ocean Blvd., in Rye, NH. Beautiful views, and we were going fast. We went through Rye, and were in New Castle, just about into Portsmouth, when DH slowed because there was a turn with no street sign and riders were acting all confused. He was confirming with his GPS. I was sprinting about 20 to catch him when he slowed and I crashed into him. I'm fine, with just road rash on my elbow and a smallish bruise on the side of my leg. But, DH's bike needs the wheel trued. First, he thought the frame was bent and was quite upset, but we figured out it's the wheel. And, my bar tape is trashed. A really nice guy came out of his house and talked to us for most of the 30 minutes we waited for the sag guy. We were only about 10 miles from the start, so we were glad to get back. The sag guy told us what happened.
    This ride can be done on either Sat. or Sunday. Last time we did it on Sunday, and the weather was iffy both days. Rain is forecast for tomorrow, so there were 1600 riders today. I just am not comfortable with that many people close to me, even though you can start at any time (no mass start). Because we started early, we were with mostly the racer types, and not people doing the 25, 50, or metric. I think if I ever do an organized century again, it will be one from my own club, where I know most of the people. I've never had so many people pass me. Once we found out what had happened, we didn't feel so badly. This ride has been going on for years and it's the first time there's been a death.
    But, I did ride 44 miles, with an average just under 16, so that's not nothing for me.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/2...in-hampton-nh/
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh, man. That's awful.

Glad you and DH and your bikes are okay, anyway.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yeah, though when DH went to re-do my bar tape he realized my left shifter is trashed. It's an R700 short reach shifter that we had to order from the UK when we did the custom build. I don't know why you can't get these in the US very easily. Anyway, we found one on line, again from the UK, and it was very reasonably priced. DH is off to the LBS to have them look at his bike and fix the wheel, as he just does not want to mess with it, although he could.
    I think I'm having a little acute stress disorder, here, but my elbow is nicely covered with a bandage and the application of the Bacitracin right away seemed to have helped. I do have 2 smaller bruises/swelling, one on my left thigh, on the side (nicely padded area!) and the other on the lower outside of my knee. They don't hurt and I have a good supply of Arnica. My left side is feeling stiff and I know it will be worse tomorrow.
    But, it's nothing compared to what happened.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Yikes! Just heard about the people who were killed. Glad you guys are OK, if a little banged up. I'm with you on not being comfortable with so many people so close--that's just a recipe for a bad crash IMHO.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

you can read the entire article here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/car-slams-cycl...195554508.html
    I am sure I will have gazillion relatives call me and tell me it is time to quit riding.

I really like the comments:

It's hard to drive when your looking at your phone.

""The 20-year-old motorist involved in the crash ...""
    Any bets that they were texting while driving? Any?
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Glad to hear that everyone here is Ok... that's tragic!! My thoughts and prayers are with the families...

Arrrrgh - yet again a car does the action, rather than a driver.... I wish reporters would start telling it like it really is.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I am glad you are okay except for being banged up and a few scratches. I also send my prayers to the families who lost a loved one. Thank G-d, there were not more. I am not sure not riding close in this ride would have made a difference.

I am with you also, I dislike riding close in the big rides. I love riding in the MS150. There over 3000 riders in that. I tend to stay all by myself whenever I can. Believe it or not, you can really do that! I didn't come in with the rest of my team, but I sure had a more comfortable ride. And I finished both 75 miles days with no sag wagon.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Wow, sorry to hear about your biff, glad you and DH are mostly okay!

And yet another senseless tragedy, those poor people.

That was tragic Crankin, so glad you weren't there when it happened Very glad to hear you and DH are basically ok!

I've basically stopped riding in organized rides with large numbers of cyclists, I am just too used to riding by myself and I am always afraid that I will get into trouble because of that.

Re: Seacost Century=FAIL

How sad and tragic

Glad y'all made it home okay.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    How sad and tragic

Glad y'all made it home okay.
    This.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Holy cow.

I'm glad you and your DH are okay, maybe a little banged up.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

(((((Crankin))))))

What a horrible day. I hope things are better for you tomorrow. What a tragedy.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I had kind of a fitful night's sleep, but mentally, I feel much better this morning. It's pouring out, and it will be nice to spend a lazy, rainy day at home. I probably will do some recovery yoga, to help move the stiffness along. It's amazing what Arnica does; my 2 bruises are already decreasing. The scrape on my elbow is a bit smaller, too, but I think that will take a little longer healing time. Apparently, all of the weight training I do and taking Prolia have increased my bone density quite a bit... I hit the ground hard and definitely am fine.
    I didn't stay up for the 11 PM news, where one channel was saying they had new information about the driver. Waiting a bit to put the TV on now. I have some paperwork to do, so I can listen and not be totally absorbed by it.
    Thank you for all of your kind words. My son and DIL are coming over later, so we will have a quiet, family day.
    ETA: We are thinking of doing the ride on our own, in a couple of weeks. It's not out in the middle of nowhere, so no need for rest stops, etc. for food. And, if there's another mechanical, well, it's not that far from home that someone couldn't come get us. I really wanted to do another century before my 60th birthday and I only have a few weeks. This is the flattest one around!
    Last edited by Crankin; 09-22-2013 at 05:32 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura