Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: DI2 Depression.

Hybrid View

It is my understanding that the Shimano electronic shifting will not prevent cross-chaining. And I was not pleased with the extra wiring & battery pack that goes along with it. I am especially good at cross-chaining myself & when I heard that the electronic shifting doesn't prevent my careless shifting -pffff!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokie View Post
    It is my understanding that the Shimano electronic shifting will not prevent cross-chaining. And I was not pleased with the extra wiring & battery pack that goes along with it. I am especially good at cross-chaining myself & when I heard that the electronic shifting doesn't prevent my careless shifting -pffff!
    Well, the front derailleur will be correctly trimmed when cross-chaining with electronics Technology does have a way of evolving into better systems!! There will probably be wireless, programmable (to not cross-chain etc.) and very small battery systems in the future!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Electronic shifting is less of a drastic change than clip-less pedals were. Does anyone else remember when they came in, back in the 80s? At that time, criterium races were started from a standing start - the commissaire fired the gun as you stood at the start line and you tried to get your feet in your toe clips and tighten your straps as you rolled forward. Clip-less pedals were seen as unfair, so many commissaires started doing a rolling neutral lap to level the field. Today many still do, even though you never see toe clips in races any more.
    The point is, bicycling has always been a sport of ever-improving technology and most of the things we use and take for granted on our present day bikes were "unfair" to someone at some point in the past.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Maybe I am misunderstanding what DI2 is. As far as I understood it, the electronic DI2 only helped you shift better and smoother but does NOT assist with how well you can power your bike with your legs. Therefore, I don't understand how DI2 is "cheating" in terms of being a fully human-pedaling bike.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Mostly the issue will be about the haves and have nots, same old same old, no? Cheating is in the eye of the checkbook holder when it comes down to equipment envy or disgust. It is a lot of money for an upgrade.