Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

In which Owlie and her bikes are reunited

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally have my bikes back, and they're in a rideable state! (Well, the Charge still needs some work...)

I built them at BF's parents' house, where there are easy-to-clean floors and less "help" from my four-footed roommate who has a taste for Park Tool's grease and dirty chain lube. BF's dad took the road bike's drive train apart and thoroughly cleaned it. It was pretty gross. (BF: "How does your bike get that dirty?!" Me: "I actually ride it..."*)

Of course, when it came time to put everything back together, we found a problem. The parts box had exploded, and one of the bolts for the stem was missing. It was about this time that we discovered we were out of degreaser, so off to the one place in town that's open on Sunday. They didn't have a stem bolt, specifically, but they did have bottle cage bolts that were the same diameter, and close in length. We put almost everything else back on, and discovered that the bolt didn't fit. Not because of the bolt itself, but because the washer was too big, and you can't take the washer off the bolt. (Who thought that up?!)

By comparison, the other two bikes went together very easily (although one of the bottle cage bolts from the Iguana got lost), although I think I'm going to have to pay someone to deal with the brakes on the Charge. I went on a lovely 10-mile ride with DBF's family on the road bike. (I took one of the bolts from the Charge's stem for the occasion. I put it back!) I'm still trying to get everything dialed back in fit-wise, especially the handlebar rotation on the road bike. And I did find a replacement bolt for the Avail.

So: if you ship your bike, note where everything is and take a picture so you have a reference when it's time to put it back together. Also, if you're packing it yourself, put a TON of tape on the parts box and put the bolts in a plastic bag, since I'm not sure FedEx reads the instructions on the side of the box that says "Do not lay flat" in all-caps.

*Despite my best efforts, he's ridden about 20 miles this year. And this is the one that got me into cycling...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Glad they're (mostly) back together.

FWIW, I just thread all fasteners hand tight back into the holes they belong in. That way they don't get lost. The only parts that are separated during shipping are the pedals and QR spindles, which go in a little nylon zip bag. "Ton of tape" gets reserved for the RD, which I remove from the frame but *not* from the chain or cable, so it takes a lot of tape and foam to keep it from rattling around and scratching the chainstays. Removing the chain for shipping would be more elegant, but I don't bother with that unless I plan to replace it on arrival.

As far as handlebar placement, what I do is put a tiny dot on the handlebars with a Sharpie on each side of the clamp. It's barely visible once everything is back together. Piece of electrical tape to mark the seatpost height, unless there are markings already on the post that I've recorded.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-07-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Glad you've got them back and mostly ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    ... since I'm not sure FedEx reads the instructions on the side of the box that says "Do not lay flat" in all-caps.
    Just a heads up for anyone who ships... I drove for Airborne (now DHL), on the sort line anything like "fragile" or "this end up" usually means the guys will kick it, throw it, spin it, or generally act like grade school kids with it. It's better to pack things as though they are going to be abused and just avoid the outside labeling.

It's always a great feeling to get bikes reassembled!! Last time we moved I had the fixie in the back of my car so I had something to placate me, but I was so excited to get the road bike back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone who ships... I drove for Airborne (now DHL), on the sort line anything like "fragile" or "this end up" usually means the guys will kick it, throw it, spin it, or generally act like grade school kids with it. It's better to pack things as though they are going to be abused and just avoid the outside labeling.
    I've always wondered about this... (and assumed this is what happens, to be honest). What if I write "PLEASE THROW ME" on the outside? Will reverse psychology work?

WOW! A BIG CONTRATULATIONS ON BUILDING YOUR BIKES. WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT.

I am a "credit card Mechanic." I pay the LBS to do that stuff. If I took my bike apart, I doubt I could get it back together safe enough to ride if I could get it back togetherr at all. The only thing I am comfortable is taking the chain off! I even have nightmares about removing the front wheel.
    kajero
    2013 Trek FX 7.6 WSD
    2012 Specialized Ruby WSD
    2004 Schwinn (I think that is the year)

Quote Originally Posted by carlotta View Post
    I've always wondered about this... (and assumed this is what happens, to be honest). What if I write "PLEASE THROW ME" on the outside? Will reverse psychology work?
    Nope, they'd most likely see how far they could throw it. It's a very strange work environment.

I'm a credit card mechanic too! My helmet is off to you, Owlie. BTW, Fair Wheels on 6th street across from the stadium is a great bike place. They took care of my Trek Project One nightmare for free.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid