Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Riding patched tires?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got a 5mm diagonal puncture in the middle of my brand new GP4000 tires.

I patched it and rode the bike home.

Obviously, no one is supposed to tell me that riding a patched tire is safe.

But, would you keep riding this patched tire or would you throw out this $50 tire that I just bought and get a new one?
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

The cut is in the tire, not the tube? I know people who have ridden many miles on booted tires. You can cut up old inner tubes and use a piece for a boot. Or you can buy one at the LBS. Or you can use a dollar bill, which I've done as an emergency boot during a ride. Whatever you use, put it between the inner tube and the inside of the tire, covering the hole.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

First, where are you finding GP4000s for $50? I'm used to paying $70...

Anyway, if it's that small I probably wouldn't worry about it. What did you use to boot it? Exactly where in the tread is it? Is it 5 mm on the inside of the tire wall, the outside, or both straight through? Clean slit or chewed up?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    First, where are you finding GP4000s for $50? I'm used to paying $70...

Anyway, if it's that small I probably wouldn't worry about it. What did you use to boot it? Exactly where in the tread is it? Is it 5 mm on the inside of the tire wall, the outside, or both straight through? Clean slit or chewed up?
    EBAY. Free shipping too.

I used a patch. I did not do a "boot" yet.

It is a clean slit 5mm puncture through the tire wall down the middle of the tire (not the tire side walls).
    2014 Liv Lust

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Like a tube patch? Just be sure it's well lubricated with cornstarch so it doesn't stick to the tube, and I wouldn't worry about it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

With a 5mm cut I'd boot to get home and replace the tire. Half that size or less would be the limit of my confidence level in a tire I do my rides on.

Unfortunately, my new GP4000 tire decided to answer this post. My tube pressure was 30mmhg.

Glad I got home via the patch. But, obviously, since my new tube got popped by the patched tire....no re-using this tire.

Bye, Bye $50
    2014 Liv Lust

I'd never ride on a patched tire, once I got home. I've had to use a dollar bill twice in 12 years.
    Of course, I don't patch tubes, either. Why bother? We keep a huge supply at home, and always 2 in my seatbag.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

If it were me I would contact the seller and/or Conti. and let them know what happened & about how many miles you had on the tire. You might get at least part of the cost for a new tire back.
    "Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" (Robert F. Kennedy)

I have nothing useful to add, just some sympathy and I'm glad you got home ok.

A tire boot should be non-stretchy material, not a tube patch or piece of inner tube, though that would be better than nothing to get you home in an emergency. I've had dollar bills and other patches (piece of sewup works nicely) inside a tire I've ridden on for months. If I can boot the tire and not have a bulge or spread-open gap at the slit with full inflation, than I'm happy to keep riding on the tire.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72