Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Heat rash

Hybrid View

I wonder if those instant ice packs would work as well?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I used to have this problem when I lived in NC and was often riding in the hottest part of the day. For me, it happened on my thighs, regardless of the shorts, sunscreen or what was covered and what wasn't. Pouring ice water on my legs did nothing to stop it. Some days, it was so violent that they were huge welts for days and a full week before the discoloration went away.

As someone else mentioned, it's your core. Keep the core cool (ice in a buff on my head helped me) by whatever methods possible and you can reduce the effect. BUT, once it starts, there is no stopping it. It has to be prevented to work.

I used to feel this odd tingling feeling when it was happening...minutes later, the welts would start to appear. I was riding this past Saturday in the worst heat I've biked during the last 5 years and I felt the tingling again. Luckily, we were able to immediately move into a shady area and I doused myself with ice water and was able to avoid the reaction this time. I think it helped that relatively speaking...it wasn't THAT hot out this time.

PS - there were a couple of threads about this a few years back if you try searching for something like 'weird rash'.
    Last edited by GLC1968; 07-03-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom