Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
You didn't get an inkling when the area you are living in is called "Shawnee Hills"? Yes, Toto you are in Kansas, but not rural Kansas! The Flint "hills" are just to the west of KC, so again "hills". It's flat in central and western Kansas, but have fun with the wind!
We aren't living in Shawnee Hills, though; in fact, I've never heard of that, but I believe I have ridden them now! We are actually living in Prairie Village. Most of our rides take us to Overland Park, Merriam, Mission, and Shawnee, depending on where we're going. I just had no idea of the terrain. My NC relatives are amazed too, as all thought Kansas was flat. Wind, I expected, and yes, it is windy, though through the residential areas, we are sheltered from it somewhat. It's a beautiful area to ride, just not what I expected! It's also much greener and lusher than I thought it would be, with huge trees and many parks. Love that!

We drove up to Weston, MO yesterday and hiked at Weston Bend State Park. Gorgeous, but again, nowhere near flat. Then walked into the city of Weston, also hilly.

I absolutely love this part of the country for many reasons, and the good thing about it not being flat is that I'll be in much better shape than I expected from walks and rides here!