Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

HEY! I have been there! We were out that way last summer, staying in Bend. Drove up and over that pass from Sisters. We must have said about 1000x on the way up what a great bike ride it would be.

Going down the backside was the most carsick I have been since I was a little kid. OY is that road twisty. It is so weird that you go from lava on one side to rain forest on the other. Good Job!

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    This weekend we did our first overnight "tour" from home. We left Saturday morning and meandered towards Redmond, and stayed overnight at the Marriott in the Town Center. That's my kind of roughing it. I wasn't too heavily loaded, but I am having gearing issues on my Jamis, so the grade coming back home was a bit of a grind.

Still it was a nice test ride for the longer tour we want to do in Idaho next month. It was about a 50 mile round trip. Nice and relaxed pace.
    There is some nice scenery out there too. Were you over near Smith Rock?
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

I did a total of 87 miles (7miles of mountain biking) for the whole long weekend (Friday through Monday) All group rides. Can't wait for my favorite group ride today after work ,32mi of hilly terrain. Yes!

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

It sounds like everybody had a good weekend.
    I went up to Maine, where it rained hard on Sat & most of Sun, but Mon was beautiful. We got a short, muddy ride in on Sun afternoon and a longer, muddy ride in on Mon morning.

We stuck to ATV trails - friend going though one of the many mud puddles
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	16266
    Me.

Name:	018 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	16267
    It was a dirty ride, but fun. :-)

Name:	027 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	16268
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

My husband and I were camping on Mt. Lemmon, about 7500, above Tucson. We rode from our campsite to the ski lift area, about 14 miles round trip. The main ridge gets a little over 8000 feet, drops back down and then climbs up again to the ski lift. The last mile or so is definitely steeper (and above 8000 feet) so I saw the speed drop to about 4 miles an hour at one point. It's possible to go another mile or so the summit, over 9000 feet but that's just too much of a challenge for me.

The next day, after packing up our campsite, my husband took the car and i rode the bike down the mountain. That went fine, an hour of descending takes a lot of concentration, with all the weekend traffic coming up, but it went fine. However, I must have used up all my concentration because on the last leg of the ride home, I had an unpleasant and unexpected encounter with an object in the road, leading my first ever bike crash. I let my attention waver ever so briefly. I'm basically okay, just suffering a pretty banged up knee, but I'll put up a separate account.

I was recovered enough to be able to take a gentle spin Monday to a sales event at the Kia car dealership that sponsors my women's bike group, where we did some promotional photos with the "Hamstar" mascot, and a bright red Kia Soul. (Our team is called Team Soul, after the car). I guess Saturday they had a much bigger crowd and they didn't really need us to help out on Monday, so we just did photos, hung around and chatted and went home.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Memorial Day Weekend rides

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    There is some nice scenery out there too. Were you over near Smith Rock?
    Oops, I meant Redmond Washington. I keep forgetting there is another Redmond. I have been to Smith Rock too though, what an incredibly scenic spot! There is probably some good biking out there too.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    Oops, I meant Redmond Washington. I keep forgetting there is another Redmond. I have been to Smith Rock too though, what an incredibly scenic spot! There is probably some good biking out there too.
    Yup, the Sisters to Smith Rock scenic bikeway - beautiful and only 37 miles one way so it's easy to ride out, hike around and ride back in the same day.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

First time since I started riding that I didn't get the chance to ride on the holiday weekend (other activities required a physcial break), and THIS weekend doesn't look so good either (weather this time). It is, however, a good sign that I am missing it I've enjoyed reading about the riding our lucky members were able to do however!