Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Side aches

Side aches

To disable ads, please log-in.

O.K., the other day I was doing my quickie 15 mile ride (somewhat hilly) and my side just kind of cramped up and then radiated to my abdomen. I could barely breathe and had to call to get picked up (OH THE SHAME!). Luckily, DH got lost so I had to cripple home and I completed my ride - thereby avoiding the humiliation.

The difference in this time was that DH had gotten home from work unexpectedly and immediately asked, "Do you want to ride before the sun goes down?" So, I had to hurry and get my stuff together and cram a clif bar and a Goo down my throat (I had had no lunch).

Usually, I eat a nice mini meal and am mentally prepared for any rides, but maybe I jumped the gun this time?

sounds like 'the stitch' to me - and for all the years I got "the stitch" at school when running round the block, I still dont know what it is... is it a form of cramp?

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I think a stitch is a cramp of the diaphragm. I have to be careful what I eat before running as too full a stomach will cause them due to all the food bouncing around. I used to get them cycling a couple of years ago when I first started mountain biking. I think it was due to my "breathing muscles" (certainly around my ribcage) being put under a lot of strain with the inhalation effort of going up steep offroad hills. I still breathe hard on those efforts but I think my body is used to it now and can cope. Once I had a stitch I really had to calm my breathing down to try to get rid of it.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    For me, a side stitch or cramp is an indicator of dehydration. And GU without plenty of water can wreak havoc with your system. Were you dehydrated as well as low on calories?