Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chafing in an unusual place

To disable ads, please log-in.

Or, at least it was unusual to me . . .

I chafed yesterday where the grippy leg bands hit my legs at the bottom of my shorts.

Any advice? I really like the chamois, and I don't want to change to another pair before the century (although I'll take suggestions). I thought about putting Body Glide around that part of my leg, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the grip strips?
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

I get a rash from silicone grippers - it's not chafing, it's a sensitivity reaction, but I can see how they could chafe.

I just turn the grippers up so they're on the outside. They still provide some reinforcement to keep the fabric tight so the legs don't ride up, although if the shorts are already short on you, that will make them shorter. Some brands actually print their logo upside down on the grippers so that it's right-ways up when you do this.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Specialized RBX, and they're shorter than I'd like - but again, I really like the chamois.

This is the first time I've had problems with them, but then, this was also the first ride that I'd truly consider "warm" (we live in the South). Maybe I'll just apply the Body Glide there as well and deal with it?

I wonder if it is really chafing and not a heat-type rash like I get. When I started getting it, it would only happen in hot weather. As time went on, now it bothers me all the time. I get a lot of heat rashes from running (under my socks, bra and kinesio tape), but that's the only one I ever get cycling.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I'm another one who is sensitive to things like that.

What is the chamois like? FWIW, Louis Garneau Neo Power shorts are very comfy, and no grippers.
    Super thick in the back, much thinner in front (I'm guessing this is typical?), and it matches the saddle pretty well (I guess I lucked out with the stock saddle that came with the bike).

My only complaint is that these are the "shorty" shorts, so I'd prefer a longer leg, but that's what the lbs had when dh and I were looking (and getting the nice discount when he bought his bike).

I just looked at the Louis Garneau. Since I can rarely see the chamois in real time when I look at shorts (selection at most places is not all that extensive), I'm usually relying on others to tell me if it's worth it to try out a pair for $120. (Thanks for the suggestion!)

I used to use Chamois Butt'r under the front seams of my old Shebeest Century shorts, because the seams chafed the front of my hips. It totally solved the problem.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I don't think anyone can really tell you if a pair of expensive shorts are worth it or not. I have three pairs ( all gifts from family in spite of my asking just for gift cards.) Two I regard as rather like a brooks saddle, I have to ride in them to break them in, but since they become very uncomfortable after 50 miles, its a duty of determination and bloody mindedness rather than love. The third pair eventually got to be ok, not great, but ok and I can at least tolerate a long ride in them. I hate to give any of them up simply because the length and the rest of the short is great.

I think we all end up with pieces of gear we really love ( which usually goes away right before you decide to buy another couple before they go away), some which although we don't love, we are ok with, gear we are still learning to live with, and some that goes immediately into " for donation to a women's biking team somewhere in the third world" bag.

Good luck on your hunt. If you find a pair you really love, buy two more immediately because you miss them when they go away.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    The LG Chamois is light all over. And quite minimal.

Do you like the thicker rear because you ride more upright? (Do you ride more upright? I know it could be either on a Ruby).

There are many reviews for those particular shorts. That could help you decide.
    Yep.

I'll check out the reviews!

I'm happy with the LG Neo Power shorts, enough that I bought a second pair. In general, cycling shorts is a product category where higher price does mean better quality. If you're gonna be on the bike long enough to ride 100 miles, it's worth the investment for really good shorts.

It looks like the RBX shorts are available in two lengths. If you have the shorter ones, your best bet might be to get the longer version and turn the cuffs up on them.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr...s-road-apparel

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My husband doesn't like the leg grippers either, so he just rolls the hems of the shorts up so the grippy stuff is on the outside and not touching his skin
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"