Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sora Vs. Tiagra, please help

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I used to bike pretty regularly 20 years ago, now I'm mid forties and have been trying to back into it the last couple of years. Not knowing my level of commitment, I bought a cheap bike on Bikes Direct with 2300 shifters, and Sora rear (not sure about front). I hated riding it, the thumb shifters were horrible, I had the chain fall off, not happy and I just got rid of it. So now I am looking for a little bit better bike, with nicer components but still not ready to break the bank, since I have yet to enjoy my riding experience much and am still unsure how committed I will be with a nicer bike.

20 years ago I had a Centurion Sport DLX (CroMo) and loved it, and I would say it was a mid-entry level bike (still going for 250 used! Wow!). And I really enjoyed riding. I would like to capture this feeling again. So far, my top choice at my LBS (and I've been to many) is a Raleigh Capri. The frame fits me really well (I'm 5 foot 2 and 1/2 - I count the half) and I didn't feel stretched. It was quite comfy. But it has Sora componentry (nothing higher until you go to Carbon). From what I have heard/read, Sora is one step above 2300. With the 2013 Sora maybe being a little better than that. I did notice a bit of a difference between the Sora and the 2300, but I made the mistake of also testing a full Tiagra bike and noticed a huge difference there.

But my question is... will I be happy with Sora long-term? I don't want to make the mistake of buying another bike that I end up regretting purchasing. I want this purchase to last. But at the same time, I don't want to spend a lot over $800, since I am not sure, even with a nicer bike (at my age now) if I will really enjoy it like I used to. So is it worth it to spend the extra money to get Tiagra?

What experience do you gals out there have with each component group? What advice would you give to help me decide.
    THANKS!
    Last edited by angcenturion; 05-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Please try and find a Tiagra equipped bike if you can. 2012 + is a totally redesigned and is the equivalent to 105 level in 2006.

Sora is Shimano's budget road componentry and so is made to a price and will always be not quite as good. 2300 is basically for big store box bikes and really doesn't even count as road worthy spec.

Maybe try and see what is available second hand. Get the measurements of the Raleigh and use them as a guide to compare to second hand bikes on the market.

My advice is to always go with the best components you can afford, even if it means financing some of the bike. Nice riding bike = one you will enjoy riding.

Have you tried a Specialized Dolce or Trek Lexa? They aren't high priced and ride pretty nice. I especially like Specialized. The lowest level Dolce lists for $830, but many (most?) shops will negotiate price and I'd be looking to go up on the component group. Also, the 2014s will be coming out by late summer and many shops will be having sale prices soon on their 2013s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    Please try and find a Tiagra equipped bike if you can. 2012 + is a totally redesigned and is the equivalent to 105 level in 2006.

Sora is Shimano's budget road componentry and so is made to a price and will always be not quite as good. 2300 is basically for big store box bikes and really doesn't even count as road worthy spec.

Maybe try and see what is available second hand. Get the measurements of the Raleigh and use them as a guide to compare to second hand bikes on the market.
    Well, 2300 is nicer than it used to be, and that's most of what's on my road bike. I've had very few problems with it thus far, save a finicky front derailleur (and I think I put more mileage on it than intended). It has a place, certainly, if you only want to ride sometimes. However, if you buy with the intention of riding frequently, it's something you'll rapidly outgrow, and Sora is the same. And while New Sora is nicer than Old Sora, if I had to buy a new entry-level bike all over again, I'd get Tiagra.

Can you try out a Lexa, a Specialized Dolce or a Fuji Finest? Those aren't terribly expensive bikes.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

If you can afford the better shifter, definitely do it! If you can feel and notice the better quality (especially since you are an experienced biker), you will regret going cheaper, especially since you plan on having this bike long term. The more you enjoy riding your bike, the more likely you will bike and stay fit for years to come!
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

I second checking out used - there seems to be some nice bikes on CL at any given time. Maybe you can get more bang for your buck there. I agree that the nicer your bike (and components), the more you'l use it and enjoy it. Good luck!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD

BD has great bang for your buck, but if you need hand holding then your LBS is going to have to be your choice, used is going to be a potential issue for size and set up. I think your budget needs to be at least a K though. WHo set up your BD bike and why did you choose thumb shifters? Chain falling off is a set up problem, not a component issue. While it is nice to get a new bike, components are not going to make you love riding. Bike set up and maintenance and tweaking is part of the activity, so if you need someone to do that then you are going to want a relationship with your local bike shop. My first and second bikes are from BD but I sleep with my bike fixing man. My friends with less practical husbands pay other people to do the sort of stuff that keeps a bike riding well. For sure my first BD bike was a bit of a learning experience, but due to our set up, nothing else. Many people will pay a local bike shop to make sure these bikes are properly tweaked.

I decided on a Nashbar bike. They had a blank white womens specific frame with Shimano 105 components and adjustable shifters for small hands. I got a coupon for 25% off and it even worked on the bike. Got it for a steal at $525. Delivered tomorrow, am excited!