Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Brake release

Brake release

To disable ads, please log-in.

My Gunner has V-brakes and I can no longer release them. Front or back. I used to be able to, and my LBS guys can. Granted, the levers are very close to the bars because of my reach and I like 'snappy' brakes. This makes me nervous about solo riding. What if I have a flat?

I am seeing my fitter in a few weeks about something else and will ask about this also, perhaps something is out of adjustment.

Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?

You can always put the wheel back in without the tire 100% inflated and then fully inflate in case of an emergency.

Without seeing the setup, it's hard to know what the problem could be or how to fix it. Some brakes have releases - do yours? Sometimes it's just a different hand position on the noodle. Lots of possibilities.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I have arthritis in my hands. I use a clamp like this http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Grip-546...eywords=clamps. Probably not too portable.

A releasable zip tie like this might also work http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-12-i...sable+zip+ties.

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Splice an inline barrel adjuster into the cable housing?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Blueberry - I can't get the tire off without releasing the brakes. Indeed the clearance is so close that I also have to let all the air out of the tire to get it on/off.

The last time I tried to release either brake was at my LBS, and it was quite embarrassing We even GREATLY loosened my front brake and THAT didn't help, it didn't much matter where I grasped the noodle. I DO have a bit of arthritis, but my hands have improved since then! I can deadlift more than my body weight without grip issues - but of course my fingers are in a very different position in that grip so that probably doesn't matter.

I will make a list of your suggestions and discuss them with my fitter on the 21st. He is greatly skilled and is the only reason I CAN ride, I am confident that we will be able to work out something. P2, I didn't know there was such a thing as a releasable zip tie, and Oak, that is also an interesting suggestion.

If there are other suggestions please post them, I am making a list for Jonathan & I to consider.

I originally wanted disc brakes when we designed this bike, but I allowed Jonathan to talk me out of it because of the additional weight - part of me now wishes I had stuck with it!
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-04-2013 at 10:19 AM.

I saw my fitter this afternoon, and after we made a couple of adjustments to my bike he checked out the brakes for me. As it turned out the front noodle was actually broken (it wasn't obvious) and the other wrenches at my LBS doesn't know that bike as well as he. Because of my short reach they must be adjusted perfectly, and HE knows how it should be. He said they didn't do anything wrong, they did the usual things for that problem but in my case the "usual" doesn't work. $10 later I've perfectly working brake releases once again. I KNEW that there was something wrong...