Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Ouch! Not professional

Yesterday I had an aide show up outside my classroom with a student from another class, with a schedule saying he was suppose to come to me for 30 minutes. First I'd heard that I was getting a 2nd grader in my 4th grade class.

The student had had a sub the day before and the child had not behaved well. The teacher's consequence was to have him miss the entire morning with her. I don't see that as a reasonable consequence, missing out on an entire morning's worth of instruction. Plus, she didn't even ask if I would take the kid!

I understand that she is probably very frustrated by this child, but it makes me wonder just how often is she booting him out. How many gaps does he have? And is this why so many of my current students came to me super low?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I teach middle school and our team uses time outs occasionally, but by agreement in advance, and followed up with a conference/consequences, and the student comes with work. Just dumping a student is not going to be a successful approach, IMHO
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

You know kids are smart. My son figured out early on that if he acted up at school, I would get a phone call to come pick him up for the day. Even if I sent him to his room for the day, or made him sit in a corner and twiddle his thumbs, he was still out of school. Snowballed into a very bad situation with him missing so much, not being able to tell when he was acting out or faking it, kids picking on him. So sad that the solution to reprimand a child is to remove them from the learning environment rather than make some sort of consequence with in the classroom itself. I wasn't perfect, I spent my share of days at a desk in the back of the room and recesses sitting on the bench watching the other kids play, but never, was my grandmother called to come pick me up or was I removed from the classroom.
    L

2011 Giant Cypress ST W
    2012 Giant Avail Inspire

That's beyond unprofessional. I would report this to someone... or confront the teacher.
    What Azfiddle is describing is part of the Responsive classroom procedure for removing a disruptive child. There is a pre-established plan.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    That's beyond unprofessional. I would report this to someone... or confront the teacher.
    What Azfiddle is describing is part of the Responsive classroom procedure for removing a disruptive child. There is a pre-established plan.
    I did confront her. She had lots of very not nice things to say about the child. She assured me that next time she would ask. I don't like how she is handling the situation, but honestly our primary staff overall does not have good classroom management. Our clientele has changed and they have not.

We have two retired principals sharing leadership of our school right now. They are both very good, but they don't need the additional work of dealing with a personnel issue.

Veronia
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com