Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are your cycling best and worst recomendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since spring is here or almost here, I thought it would be a good idea to share what cycling related clothing, shoes, lights, saddles, etc that have enhanced your cycling experience and have been well worth the $$, and then there are those items that look great, cost a lot, but don't quite function as advertised.

I'll start.
    For me, hands down best purchase has been any of the PI amfib line. I have the lobster gloves awesome for cold weather riding. PI amfib drop tail bibs well worth the money, great for cold/raining weather kept me warm and dry all winter. PI amfib shoes covers kept the toes nice and warm/dry. The one thing I have purchased for the bike that I didn't think was worth the money was a camelback podium water bottle (LBS price $18 +tax), its ok to use in cooler weather but useless in the summer. In the summer I usually fill mine with ice then add a bit of water but after an hour or so out on the bike you end up drinking warmish water (yuck!)I need to find a water bottle that fits in the water bottle cage, is insulated, and holds at least 16 oz H2O.

Looking for good summer bibs, any suggestions?

I have the podium ice bottle. I fill it with water and then freeze it. It's my daily water bottle at work and the water is still cold at the end of the day. My classroom temp ranges from 72 - 78 and the bottle sits on my desk

There is a stainless steel insulated version. My husband did a test with the stainless steel and a couple of other bottles to see how they all compared. You can read about it here.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I was thinking the SS was the way to go, thanks so much for the info

BEST REC: Keep trying saddles until you find one that works for you.
    WORST REC: "This is a comfortable saddle!"

Second worst recommendation: "You (i.e. malkin) should be the tandem captain because you are a more experienced (and opinionated) cyclist.
    Second best recommendation: The stronger and heavier person should captain the tandem.

Even better recommendation: Fuel, refuel, hydrate, and rehydrate!

Even better Bestest Recommendation: Go Ride Your Bike!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

http://www.velofred.com/klickfix-con...aul-p-453.html

This bag fits on the seatpost of my very, very small framed bike. Finally I can go for long rides and have a place to put all my stuff, from food to discarded warm clothing.

My bad buy was the mini seat post bag, which would fit on the same klickfix adapter. The bag hangs too low and rubs my rear tire. Otherwise, it is a really nice bag. Unfortunately, I tossed the receipt and tags and can't return it. Maybe I can find a different bike to put it on.

I also don't like the podium bottle much. It is kind of hard to get it out of my bottle holders. But, I might get used to it.

I love my Giro Aeon hi viz helmet. It is bright. It fits perfect. It is light and well vented. http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodGO_2030473.html

Generally, I have been buying and wearing more high visibility clothing after wintering in Florida where the drivers are frightening. I have some high viz screaming yellow jersey's from TE, a high viz jacket, a vest, and a blaze orange jersey. TE has one of the best collections of high viz stuff anywhere.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

My favorite things that I use the most are
    (1) my Cannondale jacket with removable sleeves. What I like best about it is that the sleeves attach with magnets, and it is SO easy to take them off and put back on compared to zippers. They also come off as one unit and could even be worn as a bolero. The remaining vest has lots of pockets which come in handy. I'm not sure Cannonale still makes it.
    (2) my Terry bolero. Perfect for cool mornings and packs away to almost nothing.
    (3) Falcon Safety Aquablast air horn for dog deterent
    (4) a bento box that attaches to my top tube. Very handy.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

LOL at Velominati.

Best and worst was probably my road bike. I think we've all heard enough about that. But...I learned my lesson, and it sort of created a monster, regardless of how it fits.

Beyond that...
    Best: Most of my Pearl Izumi gear. The things that gets the most use are the shorts (the In-R-Cool Elite shorts) and gloves (Gel-Vent), of course, but I love my safety orange convertible barrier jacket. I've had one chance to use the Am-fib tights during a very slushy cross bike ride, and I liked how they performed. Also, my Polar bottles. I need to get 20oz ones for the cross bike because the 24oz ones don't fit!
    HUGE Topeak seat bags, for both bikes.
    My CX bike.
    The stash of Specialized Jetts that I am amassing...

Worst:
    Cheap Performance shorts. Their re-vamped higher-end ones are actually pretty good (not Pearl-good, but still), but the lower end ones...not so much.
    Wired computers with cadence.
    A Serfas wireless bike computer. There were some things I liked about it (easy to read, for one), but it was very easy to accidentally reset and it was very prone to interference. I replaced it with a Cateye and I am happy.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I got the Terry bolero light. They also make one that is heavier weight with a more fleecy lining. TE carries that one as well as some boleros by other manufacturers. The bolero light ran small and pulled across my upper back when I wore it. I wear a size small in every top I have, but I had to send the small/med bolero back and get a Large/XL size, which fits with plenty of room under it for even a long sleeved jersey for an extra layer.

https://www.performancebike.com/revi...ero-Light.html

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    My favorite things that I use the most are
    (1) my Cannondale jacket with removable sleeves. What I like best about it is that the sleeves attach with magnets, and it is SO easy to take them off and put back on compared to zippers. They also come off as one unit and could even be worn as a bolero. The remaining vest has lots of pockets which come in handy. I'm not sure Cannonale still makes it.
    (I have one for sale if anyone's interested....PM me. It's size medium and white with blue and black trim.)

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Bests: Luna, France, Italy, Bike Friday
    Worsts: Brooks saddles, worn out shorts that become, uh, revealing.

Someone once told me the only suspension a road bike has is the tires. I've also read that the most performance you can get for the money is in tires.
    So my #1 recommendation is to get the best tires you possibly can and run them at the pressure appropriate for your size.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Bike helmet with a visor: I like more sunshade in addition to my sunglasses. I don't pay attention to helmets in the store that don't have a visor.
    Lobster gloves: Best for winter cycling and if you get paranoid when you have Reynauld's syndrome in your hands, like I do.
    Schwable Marathon Plus tires: Very sturdy, strong. Less prone to flats.
    Cycling skort (or a running skort for shorter rides): Great especially if you bike in Europe, where you want to blend in a bit more with locals, rather than look overly-spandaxed.
    Fun bike bell. Yea, I got me a little bell ringer: he's a construction guy wearing a brass helmet: ding-ding! I'm a kid all over again. Yea, I got this little guy, on my commuter bike.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Worst recommendation/advice: "High visibility (clothing, accessories, gear, trim, etc) will make you safe."
    No clothing - or color - has such magical properties. Unless it's a full body air bag or something. But that would be sort of awkward on a bike.
    Color can help (no guarantees tho) make you visible, but that is a far different animal than "safe."

Best recommendation/advice: Assume that idiot in the car doesn't see you.
    Corollary: Ride like you are invisible.
    Ride defensively and ride safely.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Worst recommendation/advice: "High visibility (clothing, accessories, gear, trim, etc) will make you safe."
    No clothing - or color - has such magical properties. Unless it's a full body air bag or something. But that would be sort of awkward on a bike.
    Color can help (no guarantees tho) make you visible, but that is a far different animal than "safe."

Best recommendation/advice: Assume that idiot in the car doesn't see you.
    Corollary: Ride like you are invisible.
    Ride defensively and ride safely.

3X on these sentiments- I have half seriously told my bike friends that I am getting an orange flag like my Grandma put on her bike.....

Worst Recommendation: Garmin 800. Extremely difficult to use and expensive and, supposedly, you have to pay extra for the Garmin maps; but it is the only GPS map device that is small for biking with long battery life that I know of. I am not a computer genius, but both my husband and I have trouble downloading and seeing bike routes and getting turn-by-turn directions.

Best Recommendation: biking gloves are a must. The gloves help prevent skinning your hands when you fall, preventing hand sunburns, used to wipe your "snot", prevents branches from scratching you up, etc. I throw my gloves/albuterol inhaler into my helmet and hang the helmet on my bike, so that I will forget neither my helmet nor my gloves.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)