Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How many took the 30 day pledge?

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://30daysofbiking.com/pledge I took it and today being the first day I couldn't wimp out so it was a shortie. 35F, 25mph north winds, what was that? A snowflake? Heck ya! I think the first week of this is going to be the hardest due to weather cause I REALLY don't like riding in the cold. But a pledge is a pledge so I'll give it my best.

Now, this last weekend was just utterly wonderful weather and it was great to be out on a few springtime rides.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

I would love that sort of pledge, but my life just isn't laid out that way right now. I've been getting in four to five days a week, and that's all I can fit in. I suppose I could ride around my block for a couple times just to say I did, but........
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I am just too much of a cold-temperature wimp to take this challenge. Now, if it were in JUNE I would seriously consider it. I am just happy that I just had two of my three rides for 2013

I know I would never do it, so I won't take the pledge.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Being obligated to cycle every day would make me hate my bike. I cycle all winter and (sometimes) in rain -- but committing to cycle every day? No thank you.
    Last edited by PamNY; 04-02-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Thank you for posting this, Bike Writer. I took the pledge...it's a challenge and it's supposed to be challenging, to get us doing something different, change things up a bit, for the better. It is challenging me to get on my bike every day, even for a ride around the block or to the post office. Today I went to a meeting on my bike. Tomorrow I have another meeting downtown, and I will go by bike. Thursday I don't have any meetings, but I'll ride to the post office. Friday I'll be on an actual bike trip, so no problem, there. It's inspiring me to find reasons to ride my bike every day. Next week I'm going to try a new cafe several times during the week--on my bike. Not only will I ride my bike but I'll also have an excuse to check out some new cafes that have sprung up. Win-Win!

I pledged too. I already try to ride to work most days but this will get me to do it in iffy weather when I might otherwise decide to drive. Today was rainy but I rode and it was kind of fun to be out in different conditions - and my raincoat worked just fine. Plus I'll do more early season recreational rides and that'll help me get ready for a big organized ride I'm doing in June. Some days I probably will just ride around the block to keep the streak going, but I'm OK with that. For me, it does feel like a fun win-win. But I can understand not wanting to sign up if it would make you feel like you HAVE to ride instead of WANT to ride.
    Road bike: Specialized Ruby Comp (2011)
    Commuter: Salsa Vaya (2012)

I wish I could, but I am going to be out of the country once this month for two weeks and out of state for another. I do ride on our bike commute challenge month. I didn't miss a day of that.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

I didn't take the pledge because it's not the right thing for me (I basically ride every day, it's not really a challenge), but I enjoy this sort of thing and I support everyone who is doing it. Way to go!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Today was about 15 degrees cooler than yesterday with a north wind. Taking that pledge nudged me into going out anyway and I was so glad I did. Spring is so iffy around here a little motivation goes a long way.
    Bike Writer

Wow, that's a great idea but I think it's too late now. And also next week I'll be on a running race out of town and I won't be able to take my bike. Anyway, I think riding about 300-320 days per year is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Anelia View Post
    ...I think riding about 300-320 days per year is enough
    Whoa, this is pretty awesome, YOU are a rock-star

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm not sure about meeting this 30 day pledge of consecutive cycling in Apr. Where I live, I have to gauge each day, weather-wise. We'll see but we are prone to a snowfall even in April.

But in previous years, I have cycled 30 days maybe once during each year. Not that I plan it, it's just the way how things worked out. Being car-free also helps meet this pledge more easily...because sometimes I have little choice if I want to do loads of shopping or get to work in a pleasant/quicker way.

But it is a feat to cycle in this dedicated way...without hating the bike. Usually I find I need a day off the bike after 3 wks. or so.

Malkin, you must be in great shape by now.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Writer View Post
    Today was about 15 degrees cooler than yesterday with a north wind. Taking that pledge nudged me into going out anyway and I was so glad I did. Spring is so iffy around here a little motivation goes a long way.
    Way to go! Some of my friends are doing it and I enjoy seeing their posts every day.

We had a SOUTH wind-- opposite of yours-- uh oh, maybe the two winds are going to meet up and give us some tornadoes! A friend & I went south for almost an hour and then turned around. I don't think it took us 20 minutes to get back! On the way back we did not drop below 17 mph (and my bike is not built for speed).
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

April is gone and it's time to answer the challenge. I signed up for 30 days and fell short. I'm not surprised with our "spring that wasn't" so far, but taking the challenge got me out more days than I would have otherwise and I rode farther and longer than if I had not challenged myself. So all in all I'm glad I did! It was really stupid weather but it's all good this week. In Michigan we sprang right past spring and into summer. 80's this week!
    Bike Writer