Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for a little guidance...

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I traded in the Giant Escape I bought last month for a 2012 Giant Avail Composite 2. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/9047/48930/

I got it for 1300. I feel like I got a pretty good deal, but i'm so new to this so i don't really know. I did change the pedals to shimano multis with a clip on just one side because i'm not really confident about clipping in and where i live there are loads of hills (I am not ashamed to say I get off the bike and walk it up the hill if i'm dying).

My questions are:

1) Did i get a pretty decent bike? I can find NO reviews about this bike on the net which concerns me a tad.

2) What kind of shoes do you recommend for clipping in when you don't want to spend a fortune and aren't super confident yet?

3) Any general advice for a newbie???

That is a beautiful looking bike! I don't know much about SRAM components, but I think you got a decent bike Never heard anyone complain about a Giant.

I only started clipping in last year, and I use Look Keo 2's because, well, that's what the LBS suggested. I've been very happy with them, and because they are what I learned on and have nothing to compare them to, I think they are fine. I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions. Practice clipping and unclipping over and over in a parking lot or quiet street. I find it is helpful to focus on having my clipped in foot down at 6 o'clock when i come to a stop, so I am in a stable position when I put my other foot down.

Any beginner group rides near you through the LBS or online? I've learned a lot from group rides. Ask your LBS lots of questions! Ride!
    Enjoy your new bike!

Your username makes me giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowkungpow View Post
    So I traded in the Giant Escape I bought last month for a 2012 Giant Avail Composite 2. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/9047/48930/

I got it for 1300. I feel like I got a pretty good deal, but i'm so new to this so i don't really know. I did change the pedals to shimano multis with a clip on just one side because i'm not really confident about clipping in and where i live there are loads of hills (I am not ashamed to say I get off the bike and walk it up the hill if i'm dying).

My questions are:

1) Did i get a pretty decent bike? I can find NO reviews about this bike on the net which concerns me a tad.

2) What kind of shoes do you recommend for clipping in when you don't want to spend a fortune and aren't super confident yet?

3) Any general advice for a newbie???
    You have a pretty nice bike. FWIW, my Apex-equipped CX bike with steel frame retails for about $1600, and a carbon road bike with Tiagra (the approximate Shimano equivalent of Apex) would run about $2000 or so, so you got a steal there! Yes, Apex is entry-level SRAM, but it's nicer than entry-level Shimano. (This is coming from someone who prefers Shimano, even though I've ridden with higher-end Shimano maybe twice and have entry-level Shimano on my road bike.)

Shoes...What can you go try on in your area? Fit comes first. Boyfriend's mom wasn't looking to spend a whole bunch when she bought her shoes, but it turns out that the only ones that fit her were Sidi and therefore sell-a-kidney expensive. Look for a mountain bike shoe that you can use with your dual-sided pedals.

General advice: Perhaps take a class or two on bike maintenance and 'rules of the road' if you can. Ride around in a parking lot (school lots on weekends are great) or on grass to practice clipping in and out. Read the saddle threads, as I almost guarantee that the saddle it came with sucks. The important things, of course, are to ride your bike and have fun.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Your username makes me giggle.

You have a pretty nice bike. FWIW, my Apex-equipped CX bike with steel frame retails for about $1600, and a carbon road bike with Tiagra (the approximate Shimano equivalent of Apex) would run about $2000 or so, so you got a steal there! Yes, Apex is entry-level SRAM, but it's nicer than entry-level Shimano. (This is coming from someone who prefers Shimano, even though I've ridden with higher-end Shimano maybe twice and have entry-level Shimano on my road bike.)

Shoes...What can you go try on in your area? Fit comes first. Boyfriend's mom wasn't looking to spend a whole bunch when she bought her shoes, but it turns out that the only ones that fit her were Sidi and therefore sell-a-kidney expensive. Look for a mountain bike shoe that you can use with your dual-sided pedals.

General advice: Perhaps take a class or two on bike maintenance and 'rules of the road' if you can. Ride around in a parking lot (school lots on weekends are great) or on grass to practice clipping in and out. Read the saddle threads, as I almost guarantee that the saddle it came with sucks. The important things, of course, are to ride your bike and have fun.
    My username makes me giggle too. I like cats... like to pet them, not to eat them.

I ordered some mtn bike shoes so i would not have to ice skate if trying to walk up a hill. I was so excited to try to practice clipping in, and then this Friday night i twisted my ankle WALKING in tennis shoes. I had been working out and doing regular hours of cardio and now i can barely walk without inventing new swear words!

Sigh, SOON. its so tempting to just ride anyway... but i know i shouldn't because I won't have the ankle strength to get off the bike if i need to stop!