Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How to get more women into cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

It didn't really strike a chord with me. Obviously I would support ways to get women into biking, but the article just struck me as women need extra help BECAUSE we are women. I needed extra help because I was a BEGINNER!

I guess I was lucky because as a beginner, I found a great shop on my second try. The first shop was condescending, but I didn't think it was because I was a woman...more because I was not knowledgeable about bikes and they just have overall crappy cust svc. Second shop was great. I was also able to find some great beginner groups to join, that just so happened to be all women's. I would have gone to a co-ed beginner's group, but couldn't find a single one. How do beginner guys learn??

As for telling bike shops to stock more small bikes for women...umm, not all women are small I can't exactly walk into any shop and find bikes in my size to ride. (I prefer WSD which are not usually stocked in my size) Shops aren't going to stock a ton on either side of the norm, so this just goes with the territory of not being an average size (whether you are short or tall).
    And while I get that lots of women don't want to wear pink or purple clothes all the time, I would just be happy if they could make cycling clothing for women that matches how street clothing is sized.

Just read the facebook posts too....I see her frustration a bit more.

I guess I've also been lucky, had an awesome bike shop where I used to live. Those guys are great and treat everyone the same when you walk into their shop. The new shop that opened here is also great. I've had mixed experiences with shops in Raleigh, NC. There's a Trek dealer downtown that is great and a Specialized dealer near one of the small universities that is also good and Preformance is good. Then there's another Trek store that is horrible. The stores in Fayetteville are also both pretty lousy. One of my huge frustrations that was not even mentioned in her article is that not all women even want women's clothing or bikes. With my build men's clothing fits me so much better and men's bikes (if I can find them small enough) are also a much better fit. I prefer men's bikes and I can promise that they will never stock the size I need in men's version of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny4 View Post
    It didn't really strike a chord with me. Obviously I would support ways to get women into biking, but the article just struck me as women need extra help BECAUSE we are women. I needed extra help because I was a BEGINNER!

I guess I was lucky because as a beginner, I found a great shop on my second try. The first shop was condescending, but I didn't think it was because I was a woman...more because I was not knowledgeable about bikes and they just have overall crappy cust svc. Second shop was great. I was also able to find some great beginner groups to join, that just so happened to be all women's. I would have gone to a co-ed beginner's group, but couldn't find a single one. How do beginner guys learn??

As for telling bike shops to stock more small bikes for women...umm, not all women are small I can't exactly walk into any shop and find bikes in my size to ride. (I prefer WSD which are not usually stocked in my size) Shops aren't going to stock a ton on either side of the norm, so this just goes with the territory of not being an average size (whether you are short or tall).
    And while I get that lots of women don't want to wear pink or purple clothes all the time, I would just be happy if they could make cycling clothing for women that matches how street clothing is sized.
    I didn't get "women need extra help" out of it at all, at least, for the non-industry side of it (bike shops included). I got "stop being obnoxious." I think the bit where we do need extra help is finding appropriately-sized bikes. Last year we had only a few women's road bikes (and one mountain bike) at work, and small ones only in the lowest-end. We got a glut of WSD road bikes early this year, and we've sold most of them already! We have a hard time keeping them around. But I do understand where you're coming from. I can handle WSD or unisex bikes--it's just a matter of getting the top tube length right. (I'm looking a unisex Fuji or a WSD Cannondale and Specialized for my next road bike.) I'm too tall for what many shops stock in WSD bikes, especially Specialized, but too short for shops to stock unisex bikes in my size.

There's no consistency in street clothes sizing, so I'm not sure that matching cycling clothes sizing to street clothes sizing is going to help anything!

My boss has been really good about hiring women, and I'm sure many customers, especially women just getting into riding (from my experience) appreciate that. They still tend to gravitate to the men for road bikes, and then there are men (and women) of A Certain Age who pretty much assume that we're stupid because we're young, female and working in retail. (Different rant entirely)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I DO think that more shops should stock smaller bikes - at least one for each bike style. It is really hard to have to commit to something before you have a chance to try it on for size. That has nothing to do with being a woman and everything to do with being short. I am sure that some men would appreciate that as well... It is a hard balance. It is understandable why they don't want to stock the smaller sizes that have a smaller market. The ideal would be if they could work something out with their sources so they could perhaps return the smaller sizes if they are ordered and it turns out the bike doesn't fit. Not all WSD sizes even come small enough (as I learned with my old Trek FX)

As far as clothing size is concerned, there isn't consistency with street clothes sizing so there isn't a surprise that this is an issue here. Of course bike clothes, by their nature, are meant to fit differently which doesn't help.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I would say in the past few years, over 75% of the LBS staff have been fine in terms of addressing my questions and whenever I need a bike repair done. To me, it helps that I do talk knowledgeably, confidently by referring to bike parts, I am wearing (used) cycling shoes and some of my clothing does indicate I'm a cyclist without looking overly too kitted-out.

Some of the stores have female staff and those stores do make a difference overall in general treatment.

I am 5'1", so smaller bike size is a constant problem to me. There is a lot less choice on this smaller end.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-14-2013 at 03:07 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I, personally, understand everything the author said. Maybe I would state it a bit differently, but I have experienced every one of the issues she spoke to. I don't like any of the shops around here and my DH is my mechanic; enough said. I pretty much stay out of bike shops.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

last I heard, average height for a woman was 64". That's a 1/2 inch taller than me. Now, I ride a custom 50cm bike because most bike manufacturers do not go down that far and i got tired of trying to make bikes work. So here i am within an inch of average height, and they don't stock bikes my size??

That means a HUGE proportion of women that want to ride can't easily find a bike!!

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...ht-chart.shtml Height charts for all over the world here.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

haha, just read the article. "hang out in bike shops" LOL sure, we've all got plenty of time to do that.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I haven't had time to fully digest the article, but it pains me that she used the word "girl" as much as she did. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I find it an especially bad word choice given the subject matter of the article.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I haven't had time to fully digest the article, but it pains me that she used the word "girl" as much as she did. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I find it an especially bad word choice given the subject matter of the article.
    even as she castigates men for using the same terminology...!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    even as she castigates men for using the same terminology...!
    Exactly!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I didn't think of it there, desensitized I guess, but it tends to bug me otherwise. "Woman" is a perfectly good word for describing an adult female, and there's no need to pretty us up by calling us "ladies" or cutesify us by calling us "girls". (I don't mean in a casual or informal setting, for friends I'd use ladies, girls, gals, whatever as the mood takes me.) But when speaking of women in a general sense where you would conversely speak of "men", just say women for heavens sake!

I'm only a lady sometimes, and I haven't been a girl for 20 years...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Re: How to get more women into cycling

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    last I heard, average height for a woman was 64". That's a 1/2 inch taller than me. Now, I ride a custom 50cm bike because most bike manufacturers do not go down that far and i got tired of trying to make bikes work. So here i am within an inch of average height, and they don't stock bikes my size??

That means a HUGE proportion of women that want to ride can't easily find a bike!!
    I didn't think about this until your post. I am 63 inches tall and can never find a bike in stock that fits. If the average is only 64 then that tells me they don't even consider the average height for women.