Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

The very smallest Soma Buena Vista mixte has a 42cm frame and a 25" standover. Since your inseam is about 25", you might want to check with Soma to see where that measurement is taken. Or better yet see if there is a dealer near you that might have one in stock.

You should definitely be able to get a Bike Friday that will fit (I'm a fellow 25" inseamer and have a Bike Friday). Otherwise you may need to see what is available with 24" wheels or try a Terry mixte (if you can find one).
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

yes, the top tube on the 46 LHT measures 50cm (we have one in the shop) We have several customers who use more of a swept back handlebar along with a stem length to help counter that issue.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    yes, the top tube on the 46 LHT measures 50cm (we have one in the shop) We have several customers who use more of a swept back handlebar along with a stem length to help counter that issue.
    Can you suggest some bars?
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

goldfinch, take a minute and look at the photos in our traveler's gallery You will see several with "swept back" bars like the Nitto "albatross" also look at components-handlebars-upright - Upright is a bit of a misnomer for the category because I also want you to see the "upside down mounting" that Genevieve did on her Sam Hillborne (10th photo from the bottom of all the photos) as you can tell, that shortens her reach by quite a bit - a similar look to a moustache but not as stretched out.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

A couple more questions, if you don't mind, Sky King. These swept back bars look interesting. I ride drop bars and on my hybrid had the bars cut off to be shorter as I am a very narrow shouldered person. Do people feel these swept back bars are too wide? Is there much variability in widths available?

Also, how do people like the hand position for long rides? It looks like you pretty much have to keep your hands in one place except for the mustache bars, which won't work to reduce reach anyway as they are way too far forward.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated and I hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Another vote for the Soma Buena Vista. I'm drooling over one as my 'all-things' bike. I'll use it around town, for commuting and for light touring. The smallest frame size is a 42cm and it fits 26" wheels. I'm certain the stand-over is short though I don't know the exact height. (just looked it up: 25" stand-over)

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/buena-vista
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I've been wanting a mixte...that Soma looks amazing!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I didn't realize my thread was still going. My LBS mentioned building up a Soma, so that has been a consideration. On the description page, it says the frame is "more sporty, than comfy". I wonder if that means the geometry or the ride/stiffness?

A friend and I might take a trip out west this summer and decided we might just have to swing by the Bike Friday factory. I don't think I actually need a folding bike, but it's just so tempting!
    Sky King - thanks for posting those photos. I'd love to stop by your shop as well! There are some great ideas shown. The picture below the one with the Albatross bar: what kind of bike is that?Mixte frame, begins with "L"?
    Last edited by IBrakeforPastry; 02-19-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    the picture below the one with the Albatross bar: what kind of bike is that?Mixte frame, begins with "L"?
    That is a Linus. A nice bike for round town commuting
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Yes, with a swept back you give up a few hand positions. Have you ever seen any of the you tube video's by 3 Wheel Dave - look for 3 wheel journey. He rode over 10,000 miles around the USA and he has swept backs on his bike. Anyhoooo, if drops are important than I would go back to a combination of stem and handlebar configurations. Although I am pretty intrigued by the way Genevieve set her bike up I typically have 2 primary positions when I ride - one on the grips and one on the flat section of my bars so I am probably not the best person to ask that. Anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    A couple more questions, if you don't mind, Sky King. These swept back bars look interesting. I ride drop bars and on my hybrid had the bars cut off to be shorter as I am a very narrow shouldered person. Do people feel these swept back bars are too wide? Is there much variability in widths available?

Also, how do people like the hand position for long rides? It looks like you pretty much have to keep your hands in one place except for the mustache bars, which won't work to reduce reach anyway as they are way too far forward.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated and I hope this isn't too much of a thread hijack.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by IBrakeforPastry View Post
    A friend and I might take a trip out west this summer and decided we might just have to swing by the Bike Friday factory. I don't think I actually need a folding bike, but it's just so tempting!
    We hardly ever even fold our Bike Fridays, but they're great little utility and touring bikes even without being folded. Steel bikes are always nice. And you will get LOTS of attention on a Bike Friday. This can be good and bad depending on how chatty you are feeling and whether you have time to answer questions. Sometimes it's just a thumb's up or "cool bike" (said mostly by teenagers).
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    We hardly ever even fold our Bike Fridays, but they're great little utility and touring bikes even without being folded. Steel bikes are always nice. And you will get LOTS of attention on a Bike Friday. This can be good and bad depending on how chatty you are feeling and whether you have time to answer questions. Sometimes it's just a thumb's up or "cool bike" (said mostly by teenagers).
    I've done self-supported and supported touring on my Bike Friday, and it's great. The advantage is that I can take it places that I can't take a regular-sized bike, and it can fit in smaller cars (like rentals and taxis). I don't notice a difference when I'm riding it.

Since the OP had concerns about finding a bike with enough standover height, I thought I'd post a link to a blog about the importance of standover height when you have a really short inseam (like me )
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Emily, one time DH and I were riding, just around town, and he was on his Friday. The comment he got from a teenager was, "What the hell????"This was followed by a long laugh.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Emily, one time DH and I were riding, just around town, and he was on his Friday. The comment he got from a teenager was, "What the hell????"This was followed by a long laugh.
    I'm sure people must think that a lot when we ride ours, but we get lots of positive comments. Usually riding our Fridays we have racks and panniers, so people think we're traveling, even if we're just buying groceries. Maybe that's what they are responding to more than the bikes themselves.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow