Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trainer recommendations and budget

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer seems to be the one most people like, and I found one on CL for $275. If I wanted to stay under $200, are there any good recommendations?

I haven't quite decided on a budget. I might be willing to spring for the Kurt Kinetic if I can justify the reasons for spending more than on, say, a magnetic trainer. I've looked into rollers, and have decided that a trainer would be best for me at this time. If money and space were no object, I'd look into getting a Keiser bike, but that's not in the equation right now.

Are there any issues with a trainer potentially damaging a bike? How do I avoid that? I only have the one road bike, so I don't have a spare just for trainer use.

Any other little tidbits I need to know?

Thanks!
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

we love our rollers- cheap, easy to store/small, you just place your bike off/on (we all just have one road bike)...for me the biggest advantage is keeping balance and bike handling sharp when not riding outside.....

I have a Giant Cyclotron (see my signature), for under $200, and I absolutely adore it. I did put a trainer tire on my wheel at the LBS, and when it's time to go outdoors I'll get the regular tire put back on the wheel. For what it's worth, I prefer cycling on the trainer to going to spinning class!
    2012 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Giant Cyclotron Mag II Trainer

I'd keep watching CL. I got my KK trainer for $125.

You can wear out your rear tire is the only "issue" I know of.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I recently bought a CycleOps Magneto trainer off CL for $125, which included the front tire riser and sweat "catcher". I love it!! It does everything I would want it to do.

If at all possible, try them out.
    The Kurt Kinetic and the Cycleops Fluid trainers are really nice, but quite spendy unless you get a deal on them. If you want a fluid trainer, though, you'll have to go for something nicer than the entry-level ones, because those aren't as smooth a ride. If that's all your budget will allow, get a nice magnetic trainer instead. There are some good ones out there that are less than $200. I've got a Minoura that I quite like, and there are some other ones out there that I've found through work that I like.

As for bike damage, unlikely. I've heard about some issues with bikes with carbon rear triangles but aluminum front triangles, but those aren't terribly common and I imagine would result from far more use of a trainer than most of us care to do. The only issue really is the rear tire. If you've got a good tires, take the rear off and put on a cheap tire or a trainer tire. (If you have old ones that are no longer road-worthy lying around, even better!) If you're going to be replacing your tires in spring anyway, go ahead and use them up. If you're planning on going outside when possible, I would stay away from the trainer tire unless you have a spare wheel, because those things are a pain to mount.
    Last edited by Owlie; 01-10-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Check out Cascade Trainers www.cascadebiketrainers.com

They are a team sponsor for me, and while I don't have one- my teammates are all really happy

Check out Cascade Trainers www.cascadebiketrainers.com

They are a team sponsor for me, and while I don't have one- my teammates are all really happy

As another poster said, keep your eye on craigslist. I got my trainer from CL, it was about 1/2 of what I'd pay in a store. I've not experienced any issues with it harming my bike but I do use a special tire instead of my regular tire. The special tire is for three reasons, noise (it's a slick), keep from wrecking my good tire, and to keep it cleaner. Trainer tires don't break down as easily against the trainer and thus avoiding black rubber speckling from carpets and walls.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011