Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ran another 3 today. Not quite as much running as last time. My feet hurt!
    A bit overdressed, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Back outside today at last! The past 2 days' runs were on the treadmill due to the cold. Today was a lot warmer-- 30F-- so I piled on too many layers and hit the sidewalks. I was planning on going 8 miles but cut it short at 6.5 as my hamstring was feeling a bit cranky. The weekend's supposed to be warmer, but I'm going to be quite busy so may not get out again until Monday. Oh well. It's Advent and life gets crazy...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Did a crazy hard trail half marathon today in Tulsa. Now, you mountain dwellers would laugh, but it was HARD for this flatlander. It was on Turkey Mtn. in Tulsa, and it schooled me. Crazy hard ascents and descents (well, crazy for someone who uses overpasses for hill training). I wore my new Hokas and I FLEW down the very rocky, technical descents like they were flat as a pancake. Those shoes are AMAZING!! I wish they would pull me uphill a little faster, but I'll take running downhill like a runaway truck over what I used to do downhill. I stepped on some of the pointiest rocks and never felt a thing. Is that what being fast feels like?
    Now my time is nothing to write home about, but time doesn't matter to me anymore. What matters is being out there and experiencing nature. That's all I care about anymore.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Great job, Tri Girl. It sounds like a lot of fun, and I love your attitude.

Did about five miles outside today and three on Friday. It was 51 degrees at 9 a.m. Weird and troubling, but perfect for a run.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Icy this morning, so I did 30 min on the treadmill. Did run walk intervals, with some hill walking intervals thrown in for fun.
    I missed going to boot camp but I am glad I have the TM at home for days like this.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

2nd day in a row on the treadmill for me. Yesterday was raining, today extremely windy, so off to the gym. They are in the midst of replacing all the cardio equipment, so right now there are just some treadmills and elipticals set up in the multi-purpose room. I've been doing my treadmill time staring at a concrete block wall... But tomorrow the new stuff is supposed to be up and running. Hopefully I'll be running outside, though! Don't much like the look of the new treadmills; they are very hi-tech looking, and you're supposed to be able to surf the web and watch your very own video screen. But all I want is a simple display with accurate distance and time and pace (both current and average), and easy to use controls... Oh well. I'm withholding final judgement until I use one a few times. Problem is that at the gym they think everyone is there to work out or exercise; I'm just there to run. That's fun/ sport/ spiritual discipline, not exercise, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, today's 4 miles were in 32:36, an 8:09 pace! My current treadmill goal is to get to 4 miles averaging a sub-8 minute pace, should be entirely doable...

Great pace, skhill!

I have a question for those that run on treadmills: I recently read a few articles on the differences between treadmill and outdoor running that suggest running on a treadmill at a 1% incline to better replicate outdoor running (assuming a flat course). Do any of you do that?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Great pace, skhill!

I have a question for those that run on treadmills: I recently read a few articles on the differences between treadmill and outdoor running that suggest running on a treadmill at a 1% incline to better replicate outdoor running (assuming a flat course). Do any of you do that?
    Our treadmill stays at 1% when we run. Sometimes I put it at 2%. I have read the same things and believe it's probably true.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I've found that varying the incline helps keep my mechanics together. If I do a couple treadmill runs on the flat, the first time I'm back outside my stride is kinda goofy...

With the nasty storm engulfing much of the middle of the US, it was treadmill time again today. I'm not crazy about the new machines, but I'm giving them a chance. The deck feels good at least, even if there's a lot to go through to get the data I want up on the screen. Not talking anything fancy, but it took some doing to get pace up on the screen. It was my (treadmill) standard 4 miles, today in 33:15. The weather's looking to be every bit as bad tomorrow morning...

Thanks for the suggestions re: incline, ladies. I think I'll mix it up on tomorrow's treadmill run.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

First thing this morning I packed up my bag and headed off to the gym to use the treadmill. When I opened it up in the locker room, I found that I had packed 2 right shoes. (Hey it was early and both pair of VFFs were right there together!). A buddy of mine was working the desk, and he didn't have a problem with me going barefoot despite the rules. So I hopped up on the treadmill and started on my first ever truly barefoot run. Went just one mile. Turns out that my stride is fine with no shoes, but I do not have tough enough soles for the treadmill's belt...

Darn, skhill! I hate when I forget to put something in my gym back. A few weeks ago, I forgot my yoga pants and last week it was my sports bra.

Just finished 4.5 treadmill miles. I did them at a 1% incline. It felt good!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I hate it when I forget my underwear! I generally just go to the gym to swim and just wear my suit and then change after. The one time I forgot my underwear, I was glad it was cold because I had brought sweat pants for after instead of my usual wrap skirt.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I ran 3 miles today, outside. Today I did a different route, which involves more uphill, but I was able to run a lot more of it than when I ran outside last week. I am keeping my speed down (I'd estimate I'm doing 11:30-12 mm), which seems to make the whole thing a lot more enjoyable. The thing is, I can run faster, but my whole body seems to hate me when I do.
    It was very windy, about 36 degrees. I was slightly overdressed, could have worn a thinner jacket or jersey, but not enough to make me really horribly overheated.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, I've slowed my pace down a fraction, too, and it's made a world of difference in my enjoyment level. I'd like to go faster, but I'd also like to continue to run without my hamstring bothering me too much, so slower it is. Glad it's working for you.

--Mary Anne Radmacher