Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Election Day!

Election Day!

To disable ads, please log-in.

So thankful that the ads are coming to an end!

I had no line. Probably had something to do with the polling place being moved since 2008, and no sign was posted at the old place directing people to the new place. New location is hard to get to on foot, in a precinct where many voters don't drive. No bike rack either, and they wouldn't let me bring my bike in with me. Seriously. They were prepared to refuse to let me vote because I came by bike and was not willing to leave my wheels leaned up unlocked and unguarded outside. Stood up for myself and they ended up letting me vote with my bike present.

While out walking my dog very early this morning, I had the honor of being able to help 6 of my fellow citizens find their new polling locations (a lot of local precincts have been moved over the last 4 years). That's an election day mitzvah...

My brother who is now in Columbus OH had an interesting day. He was expecting to have problems, as he hasn't gotten an Ohio driver's license yet. So he put on his best suit and brought printouts of Ohio voting law with him, and did his best imitation of a lawyer. He managed to vote despite being challenged, and helped 2 other voters who were about to be turned away.

So, how was your election day? Hopefully less exciting than what my family faced!

I voted by mail a couple of weeks ago.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    No long lines at my polling location when I went...right after the pre-work rush since I work evenings and had the day off anyway. SO glad to be done with the darn political ads (and hearing about politics constantly)!! Is it just me, or were the ads worse this year?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    No long lines at my polling location when I went...right after the pre-work rush since I work evenings and had the day off anyway. SO glad to be done with the darn political ads (and hearing about politics constantly)!! Is it just me, or were the ads worse this year?
    They were terrible, and I'm not in the worst of the battleground states. Between the ads and the calls, I've been going nuts!! We voted this afternoon prior to the after work rush - no line, no wait at all.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

For some reason we put it off until today and I didn't get home until almost 4, and since we walked to the polling place (about 2.7 miles) people were starting to get off work and there was a bit of a line. Not too bad though, we're in a rural location, so we were back home before full dark (thank goodness, I'm not much on being out on rural roads after dark).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My neighbor waited for 2.5 hours this morning. Many others in Arlington county waited that long.

I got there around noon and waited just about an hour. The woman in front of me was wearing too much perfume so I had to hang back to keep from sneezing.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

mail ballots rule. I can't wait for all this to be over.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

So now I am watching the returns and just finished cooking for the next 3 days... For some reason I associate election night with cooking - and I've been taking care of business!

I had a client cancel and I was able to go home at 1, to vote. I rode there, voted, did a loop, and then ride to my client's house. I voted at 2:15 or so and it was busy, but no line at all. Saw a few neighbors, who seemed surprised I rode, since it's the coldest day of the season. I ended up sitting and waiting to pass the time at Ferns country store, as I didn't want to stay in Concord center and be tempted to buy stuff. Saw 2 cyclists there, but they were not friendly. By the time I left there, I had my front light blinking and my back light on, too. Got to my client's house around 3:45 and left at 5:30. It was fully dark, and about 33 when I got home. I did not have my warmest gloves on, and I needed them. Was happy to see my hill, as that was what warmed my hands up.
    I had an 18.8 mile ride to celebrate election day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I voted by absentee ballot, so no lines! The leasing office of a friend's apartment complex, however, was a polling place, and they didn't see fit to tell anyone. She had a very hard time getting out. A different friend waited for around 2-2.5 hours.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Finally, no more robo calls. no more flyers stuck on the door. no more canvassers knocking on door... I am so burnt out on the ordeal. Life is back to near normal once again. Yes we voted early by mail chuffed!!

And i don't have to bother people at their homes. Yes I was one of those pesky people canvassing door to door multiple times.

"Hey, weren't you here before?"
    "Looks familiar but I was sent here by God"* LOL...

The two candidates I supported looks like won so even better.

* really wanted to say that but I said something else.

Like NY, I'm in Arlington, VA and the line was very long. We waited about 70 minutes and were given the option of touch screen or paper ballot. Went w/the touch screen. It was so great to see that people got out and voted.

Was very very happy to see the our local Parks Bond went through so now the County can build a big aquatics/fitness center!!!

Smilingcat, thank you for canvassing.

I have to admit, I miss the spirited political discussions we used to have on TE!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

It took me 30 minutes to vote which was about 27 minutes longer than usual (small district). But a neighboring city where I work, they had people that waited 4 hours!!! It was almost midnight before they cast their vote Crazy. Glad its over.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

No, lines and I went after work around 6:30 pm. There was a longer line to get a pizza..
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

NH was a battleground state so my land line phone rang constantly - this last week, I didn't even bother to look at when rang, I figured if someone who knew me wanted to get a'hold of me they would call my cell.
    I rode my bike the 1.4 miles to the polling place around 11 am. The only excitement was when a Cadillac Escalade, looking right at me, started to pull out of the parking lot in front of me, but I stuck my hand up in a stop gesture and he stopped.
    I had to wait about 10 minutes, but that was only because the M - S line was really long. There were only 1 or 2 people in line for all the other letters of the alphabet.
    There is a new (totally unnecessary) voter ID law here in NH, so I said hello & handed the nice lady behind the table my drivers licence, she looked at me and looked at my licence, and asked me "What is your name?" I pointed to my driver licence in her hand and she said in an exasperated voice "You have to say your name." opps, ok. She must have been getting that all morning.
    I did hear the lines were very, very long later in the day.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more