Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Finally checking in from New Jersey. We live about an hour from the coast and our are was hit really hard. We just got our power back, but many roads are impassible with trees uprooted everywhere. One of the biggest problems for us right now if finding gas. When one station gets a delivery, hundreds instantly line up.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

We're surviving in Manhattan. No damage to my building. We don't have power, water or heat and probably won't for a while. I'm not evacuating because I have a very old bulldog and don't know if he could handle the stairs (I live on the 26th floor). Inconvenient, but we are better off than a lot of people.

Best wishes to everyone who is coping with this mess.

Pam

Pam, that sounds rough...how are you handling your dog not being able to go "out"?

So sorry for you and everyone going through hardships right now. We were out of power for three days in both Hurricane Fran and in a freak ice storm a few years after that, but in both cases we could at least get our dogs outside. And in Fran we did have water, and it was warm. In the ice storm we were on a well so couldn't use water b/c of the well pump, but we were able to melt ice/snow from outside by our woodstove to occasionally flush the toilet.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Fortunately I have power at my apartment but my school is still closed because of no power. At first I thought it was kinda cool but now after realizing how much more my next month is gonna suck... I'm no longer stoked. Went to Whole Foods this evening after spin class for dinner and the computers kept going down so I was standing in a huge line of people just buying food to eat bc so many are still without power. Anyone in line with platters or ready made food they let leave without paying for the food. That was very cool of them and made my crappy schedule seem a little less crappy. Take care of each other out there everyone.

Glad to see people checking in.

Good article here as NYC helps cyclists use our bikes to get around:

http://www.streetsblog.org/2012/10/3...rrows-commute/
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Nice article and shows people new ways of looking at all of this. I don't know about everyone else but all of the destruction, misery and loss incurred in the last few days has really made me depressed. I keep hearing of everyone struggling to get back to some kind of normal and it is so easy to get sucked in to the negative side of it all. Articles like the one Trek put up make me feel better to see people turning a bad situation into a much more palatable one :-)

Greetings from the Jersey Shore, or what is left of it. I am in Manahawkin, the mainland to Long Beach Island. About a mile from the beach as the crow flies. Needless to say we got pounded. The Island is still closed. Many of my friends and my students do not know if they have a home to return to. We had huge trees down all over the place, but my house is still standing. No school for the rest of the week and we had off for fall break next week anyway, so that will be a blessing.

I do not scare easily and I was scared. I would never ride out any storm stronger than that. Yikes.

We did not have power for a few days and it was shocking to finally get the news and see the aftermath. It is breaking my heart.

Thanks for checking in, all. Keeping the good thoughts flowing to the region....
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Watched the television coverage last night, particularly of the evacuation of Bellevue Hospital. So hard to fathom the massive devastation. I get that (as they say) people will get through this but in the meantime, my heart goes out to everyone trying to cope with it all and get their 'normal' back. Beyond comprehension!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

It's horrifying. I can't imagine. How can we help?

Here are more cyclists pitching in: http://grist.org/news/post-sandy-bik...kXlpx5Y.reddit
    Last edited by Trek420; 11-01-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

We just got power back -- ironically I'm at my friend's house in Brooklyn to charge various devices and take a shower. We won't have heat or hot water for a while I'm told, but internet service is working.

It wasn't pleasant -- I hated ignoring the dog's pleas to go outside, but he is very old and I feared he would get injured going down 26 floors. We could have gone to stay with friends, but I felt keeping him safe was more important.

I've only had radio for news, so like everyone else I'm slowly absorbing the scale of destruction brought by Sandy.

I saw a lot of cyclists in Manhattan and Brooklyn -- clearly bikes saved the day for some commuters. Alas, I couldn't get my bike down all those stairs, but I do have my Xootr.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    How can we help?
    Since no one in the affected region has chimed in on that ...

my general feeling is that the organizations in the best position to do disaster relief are the ones who were on the ground before it happened. Here's New York Magazine's annual list of best charities in the city. I couldn't find anything similar for New Jersey, but as always, when considering giving to a charity you're not familiar with, research it on Charity Navigator, Guidestar, and if it's a smaller organization, on their state regulatory agency's website.

And don't forget the devastation in the Caribbean islands, either. The usual suspects are at work there: Mercy Corps, Doctors without Borders, International Red Cross, Partners in Health are among the organizations at the top of my list.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Sandy was bust here in Albany.
    Professionally , however....
    I'm a computer programmer for NYS' Office of Temporary and Disablity Assitance. I work excuslivey with NYC's Human Resources Authority(HRA),
    Things have been a mess. Right now, we going to issue emergency Food Stamp money to 350,000 folks, with more to come. Since I did the emergency money for Irene, I've gotten tasked with this again. We're alsi supposed to sending some money out, and I'm writining some code for that, which should be ready for Tuesday. Needless to say, not much bike riding this weekend. Probably will head to work as soon as I read the Times Union.

I was able to return home Wed. when the flood waters receeded. I had water to about 24" -36" throughout the neighborhood, maybe a little higher. I have not yet measured the high water mark, but it was about 2" below the top of my crawl space access hatch. The crawl space was flooded, but the water is mostly gone. There is nothing in there but wiring and ductwork hanging from the ceiling of the crawl so as long as there are no tears in the ductwork, I should be ok. I still need to slither under there and check things out but I'm waiting for it to dry out a little more.

Still there are puddles of deep water here and there. My pilel of firewood is scattered all over the yard, tree limbs, branches, and a few trashcans worth of pine cones and pine needles are everywhere, but it's still too wet to go out and clean up. There is a tree down behind my house, but it's not my tree, and it didn't hit any houses. My office mate lost 5 trees. I was lucky, no water entered my house, and the windows and sliding door are intact.

The highway that runs along the coast has been closed since Sunday due first to deeop water on the road, and then millions of pounds of sand. About 1/2 mile of dune was lost and relocated on the highway. They do not expect it to be cleared, inspected, and ready to reopen until Monday. This affects the residents of all the neighboring towns because there is a 20 mile detour to go around. My normal route to work is 13 miles, now it's 32 slow agonizing miles in bumper to bumper traffic for 20 miles of 2 lane road with lots of traffic lights. Last night it took me almost 2 hours to get home from work!

Many homes nearby, but not in my neighborhood, were not so lucky - 2-3' of water inside. Fortunately it's a resort community, most of these houses are 2nd homes, but still it's a terrible loss to go through this. My heart really goes out to those who have lost everything. Having lost an entire house and contents to fire a few years ago, I have some experience with this. I've had many scuba diving trips off of Long Beach Island - I really feel for all of those people who have lost their homes. Well everywhere. I had one friend whose car was flooded (totaled), and siding ripped off her house, but is otherwise OK. We lost power where I was staying for about 18 hours, but don't seem to have lost any power at my own house; some clocks were blinking, but my kitchen clock radio, and stove clocks had the correct time. I have had some brief DSL outages but they seemed to be measured in minutes, not hours.

LOL - my biggest inconvenience is that I ordered a new Kindle Fire, and it's been delayed by the storm, but it might show up today.

I was able to return home Wed. when the flood waters receeded. I had water to about 24" -36" throughout the neighborhood, maybe a little higher. I have not yet measured the high water mark at my house, but it was about 2" below the top of my crawl space access hatch. The crawl space was flooded, but the water is mostly gone. There is nothing in there but wiring and ductwork hanging from the ceiling of the crawl so as long as there are no tears in the ductwork, I should be ok. I still need to slither under there and check things out but I'm waiting for it to dry out a little more.

Still there are puddles of deep water here and there. My pile of firewood is scattered all over the yard, tree limbs, branches, and a few trashcans worth of pine cones and pine needles are everywhere, but it's still too wet to go out and clean up. There is a tree down behind my house, but it's not my tree, and it didn't hit any houses. My office mate lost 5 trees. I was lucky, no water entered my house, and the windows and sliding door are intact.

The highway that runs along the coast has been closed since Sunday due first to deeop water on the road, and then millions of pounds of sand - up to 5' deep! About 1/2 mile of dune was lost and relocated on the highway. They do not expect it to be cleared, inspected, and ready to reopen until Monday. This affects the residents of all the neighboring towns because there is a 20 mile detour to go around. My normal route to work is 13 miles, now it's 32 slow agonizing miles in bumper to bumper traffic for 20 miles of 2 lane road with lots of traffic lights. Last night it took me almost 2 hours to get home from work!

Many homes nearby, but not in my neighborhood, were not so lucky with 2-3' of water inside. Fortunately it's a resort community, most of these houses are 2nd homes, but still it's a terrible loss to go through this. My heart really goes out to those who have lost everything. Having lost an entire house and contents to fire a few years ago, I have some experience with this. I've had many scuba diving trips off of Long Beach Island - I really feel for all of those people who have lost their homes. Well everywhere. I had one friend whose car was flooded (totaled), and siding ripped off her house, but is otherwise OK. We lost power where I was staying for about 18 hours, but don't seem to have lost any power at my own house; some clocks were blinking, but my kitchen clock radio, and stove clocks had the correct time. I have had some brief DSL outages but they seemed to be measured in minutes, not hours.

LOL - my biggest inconvenience is that I ordered a new Kindle Fire, and it's been delayed by the storm, but it might show up today.