Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by laughlaugh18
    Thanks, Tracy! We'll see if my inner 8 year old (you know, the one who was always slowest in the crowd and hated it) feels like she can ride with the big girls , even if just for a bit.
    You can do it Cathy. I'm totally new...I just got my bike a few weeks ago and I've only taken it out four times so far. Just do what you're comfortable with!

So I went ahead and signed up for Cool Breeze... I just couldn't pass up that jersey. It's so cool (like I need another jersey - what am I thinking????)

So if I can't talk Wayne or Richard into doing the ride I was hoping I could ride with either with one of your guys. Not certain if I will be ready for a Century. Guess I have June and July to start training and getting serious about some road riding. It's getting hot anyway so usually I switch to road from mountain biking until it gets cooler. I do like the Ride and didn't want to miss it.

I usually drive up the day of. It's not all that difficult to do. The day starts early but oh well. If only doing the metric then I don't care if I start as late of 9 but if doing the century I probably need to be ready by 7:30 to ride. We'll see.

TE girls - if you are planning to do this ride, then you need to start doing some of my hilly rides with me. Even on the metric there is a fair amount of climbing. But what I like is there is about 15 - 20 miles to warm up on flats before the climbs* and you end on a flat. It's just that big middle part you have to worry about!

*That means scary downhills as well.
    Last edited by bcipam; 06-02-2006 at 11:58 AM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    *That means scary downhills as well.
    ok..... i don't remember any scary downhills on cool breeze???? at least no where near what potrero is! but then.... my brain probably got fried from the one hill (climb) i talked about in the other thread!

not sure if it's part of the metric (although i'm pretty sure it's part of the century).... the only scary part i recall is on the beach... in santa barbara... and a TON of traffic! i mean TONS! not like with the grand tour... where you are on PCH and have a really WIDE bike lane... but it was VERY trafficky! and TONS of pedestrians!

i start just as soon as i get registered! but then... since i'm slow and going 120+ miles... in need all the time i can get! lol!

we also drive up the same day (3 hours w/no traffic)... but then.... we drive same day to all rides! usually the mornings are fine... it's getting home in the evenings with the traffic that takes so long (last year took us an hour just to get from the grand tour (malibu) to the 10 freeway!! *GASP* which is what...???? 10-15 miles? but i digress!)

maybe we need to start a cool breeze thread so we can talk about it in there!?!

Cali:

I agree not really any scary hills at least for me. But some of the TE gals are new riders and there are hills (like through Summerland) which are steep and winding and of course, there is the descent off the back side of the Century. A hell of a fun ride down but can be intimidating for a newbie. For me the only reason to climb is to take the downhills!!!

Cali - how long will it take you to do the double metric? Last time I did the Century it took me (including stops and lunch) 8 hours. I'm fast on the flats but very slow on all those hills.
    Last edited by bcipam; 06-02-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Cali:

I agree not really any scary hills at least for me. But some of the TE gals are new riders and there are hills (like through Summerland) which are steep and winding and of course, there is the descent off the back side of the Century. A hell of a fun ride down but can be intimidating for a newbie. For me the only reason to climb is to take the downhills!!!.
    It's okay Pam...you can just say my name! My name is Brandy and I am afraid of descending. I'm part of the white knuckle club

Hee Hee what makes you think I was talking about you?!?!?!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Cali:

I agree not really any scary hills at least for me. But some of the TE gals are new riders and there are hills (like through Summerland) which are steep and winding and of course, there is the descent off the back side of the Century. A hell of a fun ride down but can be intimidating for a newbie. For me the only reason to climb is to take the downhills!!!

Cali - how long will it take you to do the double metric? Last time I did the Century it took me (including stops and lunch) 8 hours. I'm fast on the flats but very slow on all those hills.

ok.... naughty me..... i forgot... i thought you were referring to tracy... and potrero being a scary descent! (and i'm the one over at bikejournal "yelling" at the guys not to scare of the newbie that's asking questions! and here i'm doing at the forum i'm telling her to come to! BAD, cali!!!!!!!!!!)

ok... don't laugh at me... i've NEVER claimed i have SPEED! and always admit that i'm a slow rider!!!!!!!!!!!!! it took me 9:23 ride time! (i post ride time in my bikejournal... so don't know stop time.. i do try to keep stops brief though! cuz i know i'm slow on the road!)

128 miles.... 4863 calories and 7230 feet of elevation gain according to my polar! oh... foggy and misty in the morning... cool... then sunny and nice... with a ride average of 73 degrees... low 57.... high 88.... average speed was 13.7.... i WISH i had hit a lap on that hill so i had known how steep it was! the closest hills i've done since that one (in steepness) was at the redlands savage hill climb.... not sure which ones were worse... cuz the cool breeze one was at 100ish mile mark.. and the redlands ones had 7 steep climbs encompassed in a metric (or just shy of a metric) (and AGAIN... anyone not doing the metric will NOT have to climb that hill... ALL other rides go a different route! so don't be scared off!)

now that i think back.... i do remember one section they had marked with temporary signs about SLOW... cuz it was steep! but not sure which routes would have that descent! (it was after the steep climb for me... but may have met back up with the century route by then!)

"It's okay Pam...you can just say my name! My name is Brandy and I am afraid of descending. I'm part of the white knuckle club "

My husband just came in the room to ask what on earth I was laughing at! That is SO funny!!!! Brandy, by then, you will be much more comfortable AND, you can always walk down the hills as well. I'm part of the white knuckle club too but mine aren't quite as white as Brandy's! As long as there's nothing like Potero, I'll be fine... slow, but fine

Pam, I would love it if you and Brandy and I could ride together but if so, I'd want to start the second they let us! Did you talk Wayne into coming too??? For some reason I find his presence comforting!

This will be a great ride, Pam, I am really glad you broke down and decided to do this ride!

Tracy

Tracy:

The Waynster is going get such a big head (like he doesn't have one already!) from all this attention. Hopefully he can come. He is great to ride with - very supportive, and encouraging and can fix a flat like that! He's got me through some difficult rides. If he does the MTB ride next Saturday try and talk him into it. Me? he won't listen.

PS: Did I tell you his nickname is "The Punisher"? For good reason I tell ya! It's that wicked hub of his!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

did I tell ya that my hub makes a noise??? Ooooh, I am SO cool!

T~

ps. I'll happily work on Wayne on the 10th!