Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Veronica, the petite pants of late have to be hemmed, even when I am wearing 2 inch heels. I mean clothes that I would wear to work, or out at night. I can sometimes get away with no hemming in my current, ridiculous vanity size, but if I go up to my former normal size, the pants are way too long. Are people getting that much taller?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm Canadian as well, and most larger name brand women clothing stores usually have a fairly extensive petite section. I occasionally wear petite size as I tend to be short waisted and they fit better torso wise, but my biggest problem is getting the chest area to fit. I wish it was too big, at least then i would have the option of taking it in.
    I'm not against wearing something unisex.....I just want it to fit and be comfortable wearing it, and avoid the dreaded squished uniboob look.
    When I look at the petite offerings now in fashion store..many styles look "old". Then the other extreme too teeny-boppy-near sexy wear which I'm not interested.

When I wear any cycling jacket, I look as if I don't have boobs. (Shrug). Yes a Pearl Izumi jacket does that and I like more form fitting jackets. Keeps the jacket from ballooning in the wind. I really doubt people look at me for that (boobs). They're just looking at me on bike or notice me walking around in my gear....because there aren't many Asian women cycling in our city (although our population is growing noticeably). Now that I've said the latter, I suddenly realize how true of what I just said. Quite different from the other 2 Canadian cities.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-16-2012 at 03:49 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

One would think we would all learn - when we actually find something that fits well we should always buy two! Of course, I rarely do that thus most of my bike gear is somewhat tired looking.
    I did find a great long sleeved jersey last year from maloja -but alas the store that sold them is no longer. I do see that backcountry.com may have them in stock. HOWEVER they run small, I bought a large and I am typically a size 6 with a 34b/c chest
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

What I've read is that just as "Misses" are made for women 5'7", Petites are made for women 5'4". Anyone much shorter than that has to have things shortened, but it's easier to shorten clothing than to lengthen it.

Just in general ... mass produced clothes are just that, mass produced. Human bodies ain't. Each of us probably has two or three brands that fits us pretty well, and nothing else even comes close. Hope you find "your" brands soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I also think that slacks and jean, as in non-clothing clothing, have to run longer because the fashion trend is platform high heels. To paraphrase Oak, you can't make something longer.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    One would think we would all learn - when we actually find something that fits well we should always buy two! Of course, I rarely do that thus most of my bike gear is somewhat tired looking.
    I did find a great long sleeved jersey last year from maloja -but alas the store that sold them is no longer. I do see that backcountry.com may have them in stock. HOWEVER they run small, I bought a large and I am typically a size 6 with a 34b/c chest
    Your a size 6 and due to the small sizing you had to purchase a large ?? WOW!!.
    So what do women size 8 and up wear?. That's my point, the sizes tend to be small. Funny how the price stays the same considering there getting away with using less fabric and call it a large.

My experience is that everything is getting bigger. Way bigger.
    The only things that run consistently small are extremely expensive designer brands or things made in Europe that really are more in line with what sizes "used" to be. By that, I mean, my five foot tall, 100 pound mom consistently wore a size 4 or 6. And that's what I wear if I try something on in Italy. I come home and wear a size 0. Really???
    Shooting Star, I agree. Most petite styles look "old" and I definitely don't want to shop in the junior department. I buy most of my clothes at Banana Republic, the Gap, and a little at J Crew. Mostly classic stuff, with a nod to style. I used to buy tons at the Loft, as it is the only store near my house, but the clothes seem poorly made and they keep getting bigger and trashy looking at the same time!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    This is what I have done if I feel like spending money-- I have 4 jerseys that are 2 same designs. Fine by me and on sale. Whereas it took me several years to find a pair of jeans that I liked. I paid $100.00. I liked them so much that 6 months later (at least I waited, ok?) and bought another pair. They ended up being black colour.

Now I don't have to waste time for the next 2-3 yrs.(?) or more (hopefully) ,searching for a new pr. of jeans. It is an incentive that I also not gain any weight to keep on wearing them! They are a classic boot cut, not low and wear them to the office 50% of the time.

In old women's sizing, or Vogue pattern sizing, I am...size 4. I have to buy size 0 from the store clothes rack now.

I do buy some teen boy's clothing. But even for a small woman, they have some (small) curves, so the cut of vests and pants are still kind of straight on me. I was stunned to ...wear child's size 10 fleecy vest. I noticed some children's wear have gotten bigger.

To stop this rantin', I should get back to sewing. Well, maybe I will in about a decade. I'm just content to making minor alterations to new clothing. There is a new large, fabric store I am curious to visit one day..near a bike path.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    That jacket is SWEET!!!!!! It's exactly what I'm looking for. Have you worn it in cold weather? Just wondering how warm it would be. I bought the Shebeest winter vibe, love the jacket but not so crazy about How it fits across the chest as its tighter than I like.
    Well -- I live in California, so that depends on your definition of cold. I have worn it on some "colder" mornings (40s,) and some wet, windy days and been really happy with it, but it isn't that cold here and I tend to run hot when I'm riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What is now a 6 used to be a 12. Vanity sizing.
    I always think it's funny when people trot out that Marilyn was a size 14. Yes, she was a size 14, but her size 14 dresses have been measured and today she'd be a 6.

Years ago I lost enough weight that I was in smaller sizes than I was in HS--but I was not actually smaller than I was in HS.

That said, I find that sizing is ALL over the place in women's clothing--sometimes even within the same brand...and sometimes even within the same MODEL from year-to-year. That drives me nucking futs. Sometimes I can order online safely, but other times I end up returning stuff that is nowhere near what their sizing chart suggests it should be.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    \sizing is ALL over the place in women's clothing--sometimes even within the same brand...and sometimes even within the same MODEL from year-to-year.
    It varies regionally too, and then there's good old quality control.

Last year I bought two inexpensive Brooks running tops right here on TE. Bought them at the same time. Same model, same labeled size, I didn't check the date, but one is at least an inch larger in all measurements, maybe two.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've had the same thing with Sugoi tights. Mid zeros are snug. Sub zeros loose. Bought at same time.

Ha, I got you all beat! Two weeks ago I was shopping for flats. Found a pair I loved (in store) but they only had one pair left in my size in the color I wanted. Unfortunately, even though that pair had two shoes labeled size 7...one was a 7 and the other was about a 5.5! I couldn't even squeeze my foot into them. Talk about quality control issues!!

Oak is right in that petites are designed on a 5'4" model. That 5'4" model also has long legs (like most women), so women like me who are also 5'4" but have a long torso and shorter legs cannot wear petites at all. Pants are ALWAYS too long and then too short in the rise and the waists on petite dresses sit in my arm pits. Standard clothing? Pffft!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

When I was in grad school in the late 70's I wore a size 6 petite and weighed about what I do now. I was going through boxes at our old family home ( where me and all my relatives store way too much crap) and found some clothes from back then. I currently am a 4 petite. The sixes in the box fit about the same as my current 4s. So, it isn't a big difference. Ugly clothes though. Maybe then, like now, cheaper clothes were bigger than the more expensive stuff.

I agree with those who say that petite lengths keep getting longer. I now look for ankle pants because those are about right as full length pants.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Maybe then, like now, cheaper clothes were bigger than the more expensive stuff.
    ??? I have always thought just the opposite. I wear a size 2P at Ann Taylor or Talbot's, but 4P if I order from LL Bean, and take me to a Wal-Mart and I'd need at least two sizes larger! I thought it was vanity sizing so that wealthier women would feel better about themselves.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow