Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedplay Frogs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    Yes, mine showed serious signs of wear on the front lip of the cleat. My right foot tended to rotate as I pedaled and I always pull up with my right foot, and there is up-down play in the cleat-pedal connection which probably added to the wear.
    This is helpful, mine shows no sign at all. The guy at Speedplay explained what is probably going on with my cleat, hopefully the thingie he is sending will take care of things...no riding until this is fixed (at least on the road). Apparently now all new Frogs now ship with this...whatever it is...so it is a common problem.

The little part arrived from Speedplay and was installed yesterday on the offending cleat. I've plans to check things out in my favorite local park tonight before dark to see if this problem is fixed. My LBS did the warranty work but the only hills significant enough to cause the problem are miles away from the shop and I didn't want to get out THAT far to find the problem remains.

Sadly very short rides have been my fate these last two weeks when I've tried to road ride - but I rode the exact same route as the last time with the same hills. There were no problems with my cleats The fix that Speedplay suggested appears to have fixed the problem and I am a happy froggie user once again!

I wore my winter mountain shoes Saturday, first time with my Frogs. My left foot was flying out of the pedal like crazy, especially on climbs. So, I am deducing the issue is the cleat, not the actual mechanism on the pedal. I kept my heels turned inward and it still happened. I could also hear and feel the cleat engage with the pedal.
    DH reminded me that the Frog cleats do not fit very well into the PI winter shoes and he had to carve the area out to get them into the shoe. These shoes worked well with spds. My Frog cleats on my regular mtb shoes have settled in, though I still have to remind myself to keep the heels in. I have the cleats also installed on my Keen cycling sandals and I am too nervous to try these.
    I will be searching for the mountain version of the winter shoes that I have for my road pedals; I couldn't find them in my size last year, so hopefully this will be a better fit with the Frogs.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I wore my winter mountain shoes Saturday, first time with my Frogs. My left foot was flying out of the pedal like crazy, especially on climbs. So, I am deducing the issue is the cleat, not the actual mechanism on the pedal. I kept my heels turned inward and it still happened. I could also hear and feel the cleat engage with the pedal.
    DH reminded me that the Frog cleats do not fit very well into the PI winter shoes and he had to carve the area out to get them into the shoe. These shoes worked well with spds. My Frog cleats on my regular mtb shoes have settled in, though I still have to remind myself to keep the heels in. I have the cleats also installed on my Keen cycling sandals and I am too nervous to try these.
    I will be searching for the mountain version of the winter shoes that I have for my road pedals; I couldn't find them in my size last year, so hopefully this will be a better fit with the Frogs.
    We have learned recently that the bolts on the Frog cleats are quite soft and strip very easily. My LBS has had to order new bolts for mine, though we have them working like new for now I would say if he had to do surgery on the shoes to get the larger Frogs to fit then that is quite likely what the problem is. I hope the Keens work for you - back when I was still riding SPD pedals I tried them in my Keen cycling sandals and was most unhappy with the experiment as I found the Keens to be too soft - the sandals collapsed around the pedal. I also found them much harder to clip in/out of then my normal riding shoe and figured it was for the same reason. You may have a different experience than I did, I know there are women here who love clipping in with those sandals.