Lots of great advice. All good tips. Here's some more based on riding in nightmare Chicago traffic for six plus years.

Go slow, as in don't bite off more than you can chew as far as handling traffic and road conditions. If you find yourself trapped in a more than you can handle, there is no shame in pulling off the road and walking your bike. It takes experience and lot's of it to deal with serious traffic on a bicycle. Even with my experience, I did it now and then in Chicago.

Mirrors, yes, but you also need to learn how to turn your head and check to In the rear without losing control of the bike. Mirrors on bikes have blind spots, just like mirror on cars. Take the lane when at stop signs or stop lights or I guarantee, someone will turn right, right over the top of you. Make eye contact with cars on the other side of the intersection. Make sure they see you before moving out into the intersection. Lights in heavy traffic, even during the day. Bright clothing, always. Hand signals, hand signals, hand signals. Ride in a predictable fashion, no sudden moves. If you're having trouble riding a tight line on the right of the road, time to slow down or even get off the road and walk the bike. Being confrontational and stubborn and insisting that you own your part of the road with a line of angry cars behind you is something I never did. Take a moment, pull off and let everyone pass if possible.

Dealing with cars is all important, of course, but it's not the only thing. Road conditions can really compound things in a hurry. Prior knowledge as to the hazards along your route - sand, gravel, potholes, road cracks, narrow shoulders, bad intersections, bad shoulders, tight spots, bridges and so on - is gold. Be very cautious on unexplored roads and routes.

All in all, I depended as much on my hearing as my vision to stay safe. Leave the earphones at home, always!