Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glute Exercises

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've had chronic hamstring pain for two seasons now. When my hamstrings got really bad, my calf would also hurt. I'm finally getting relief after an instructor at my massage therapy school who's well known for his functional integrated training assessed my condition.

For the past few months I've been doing strength training exercises (single leg deadlift, side lunge, rear lunge, side leg lifts, ball glute bridge, rear leg lifts) along with core work, mainly working the transverse plane and I'm also targeting my QLs in one exercise. My glutes are noticeably larger and I feel so much more powerful when I ride now. When doing strength training, it's important to address the muscular chain, not just isolate the glutes. If you find another muscle, like your hamstring, trying to compensate for the glutes, refocus until you feel it in the correct spot. This can be difficult, especially if your glutes are extremely weak, as mine were. I couldn't even lift my leg behind me when I first started. My hamstring pain worsened as I did the exercises, but eventually the glutes took over, relieving the hamstring and slowly getting stronger. This took a while though (at least a month), so stick with the exercises.

A few other things:

- People in general, but cyclists specifically, tend to be overdeveloped and tight in the front of their bodies and weak in the rear. This is why it's really important to stretch/massage the quads and hip flexors and strengthen the rear muscles. Use whatever you can to work the tightness out of the hip flexors, especially the TFL. Sometimes I can get them with a foam roller; other times I'll use a small ball. Always stretch them after you ride.

- Begin your workout by activating your glutes. I'll swing my legs back and forth, side to side and do circles with my knee. You can also lift your leg behind you as you lie flat on your stomach. Actively try to engage them before you begin working out.

- Check your bike fit. I had mine done two years ago and decided to try a new fitter. It turns out that my heel was externally rotating as I pedaled, likely stressing my calf. Two wedges under my cleat later, and that pain has largely gone away.

- A foam roller can make a huge difference. Of course I love massage therapy, but when I use my foam roller once a day, targeting and sinking into my trouble spots for at least 30 seconds, I can do a lot of the maintenance work on my own.

Someone posted this link and it's full of good information: http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Thanks, again, everyone for the helpful information. I'm recovering strength in my glutes and right leg, although I have a way to go. I'm also getting back into doing Pilates a few times a week (not at a studio). Mari Windsor has a new beginner's pilates DVD out that really focuses on proper technique. I've discovered that the key is really finding and activating my glutes is following her tips for activating your powerhouse.

Like bluebug, my glutes are getting noticeably larger and firmer. Bootylicious. haha!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Bootylicious is good! It's also nice to feel stronger on the bike.

I have to continually tell my butt to get to work however. I try to engage it as much as possible when doing everyday activities and especially when I'm cycling. Whenever I feel my hamstring tense up, I know that I have to stop and mentally tell my glute to pick up the slack.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I have been dealing with glut and hamstring pain since March. It started as mostly glut pain which eventually became only hamstring pain/tightness. I've been to two PT's for this. According to them, my glut is weak so my hamstring is compensating. As a result, I have hamstring tendonitis. I've been given several glut strengthening exercises but since I'm not very consistent with them, the hamstring pain continues. Reading this thread reminds me I need to buckle down and get back to my regimen. It's just hard to find 30-45 minutes every day, especially during the week. Thanks for the reminder to get back at it. Chronic pain sucks!
    2010 Trek 2.1 WSD