DH recently had to switch jobs (was in newspaper industry - position eliminated) and went with a much smaller company which does not provide health insurance, so I have been insurance shopping until my head spins, and boy, does it suck.

It is so hard to compare plans with the differing deductibles (per person, per family) and taking into account OOM and what is included in that, and the varying co-pays and RX deductibles. To top it off, since DH has had two serious spine surgeries in the last 3 years, we were very concerned he would be turned down and we would have to go to our state's high risk pool or even form a corporation of 2 people so we could get our own group plan.

He was approved for coverage, but, not surprisingly, at a high premium. After exhaustive spreadsheet analysis by yours truly, who was truly out of her depth ( I did get some help from an independent broker), the HDHSA account, and I'm talking high to the tune of $10,000 per family deductible high, turned out to be the best deal since we could come up with $10,000 if we had to. I compared a normal year for our family among 5 plans and then a year with a major surgery thrown in.

We are basically out of pocket unless catastrophe strikes, but at least the premiums are lower and we can put money into a HSA which carries over year to year, not that we expect to have any left in it to carry over.

Now, onto investigating ordering our drugs from Canada.