Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bar tape - color suggestions

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm suffering from pretty serious new bike envy (just helped my dad buy a new road bike) and looking for ways to make my reliable ride more attractive so it will take the edge off the envy.

I have a 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - It's a dark Navy blue with some carbon showing through and silver lettering and currently silver bar tape. (exactly like the stock picture here)

It's kind of guy-ish and while I'm not a total girly-girl it does bother me sometimes. I think the cheapest way to spruce it up would be new bar tape (also looking into upgrading the stock wheels, but budget may put that off for a while). I'd love to hear suggestions on bar tape colors to consider.

My bike being more attractive will make me faster, right?
    2005 Specialized Roubaix

I like the silver. Given the simplicity of the bike's color scheme, I'm not sure anything other than navy, silver or black would look particularly good--but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to color/pattern etc. Cinelli offers several patterned tapes that might appeal to you. I'm sure other brands do, too, but I'm partial to Cinelli so it's the one I'm most familiar with.

By the way, if your bike is going to need to be serviced soon for new cables or any other maintenance that requires the bars to be unwrapped, you should probably wait to have it all done at once.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I'm partial to white tape, but you know the drawbacks.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I think something like the one for the Colnago would be pretty cool myself

http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html

You get white, blue and a small splash of pink and from what I hear, this tape feels darn nice too. I'd prob opt for blue stitch and pink underneath though to go with your bike.

The one above it with the white and titanium showing through is rather nice as well.
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Wow Roguedog, that site is amazing, however I think that the shipping alone from Aus to Texas would put me a tad over budget, not to mention the cost of the tape! But so so beautiful. The Cinelli Caleido looks similar-ish and I kind of dig it.
    I looked up a color wheel to see what colors 'contrast' my navy and it suggested a bright orange, however I've never been much of an orange colored anything fan.
    2005 Specialized Roubaix

Let me suggest green accents... Lizard Skins has some apple green tape [see here]; Salsa has green titanium skewers [here]. And Brooks has a green B-17 [here]. I might be green with envy...

I googled images of my bike and saw sopme ppl who had red tape and decided that I don't know what I want but I do know I don't like red tape on my bike. Wondering if I can muster up the courage to go into my LBS and hold tape up to my bike. It's a bit of a 'boys club' but I'm getting braver in there.
    2005 Specialized Roubaix

If you're feeling patriotic, you could go red, white, and blue.

Or how 'bout a harlequin pattern wrap?
    http://www.wastedlife.org/bike/harlequin/index.html
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by barrelgal View Post
    Wow Roguedog, that site is amazing, however I think that the shipping alone from Aus to Texas would put me a tad over budget, not to mention the cost of the tape! But so so beautiful. The Cinelli Caleido looks similar-ish and I kind of dig it.
    I looked up a color wheel to see what colors 'contrast' my navy and it suggested a bright orange, however I've never been much of an orange colored anything fan.
    Ha ha! I was going to suggest orange. But not necessarily bright orange, perhaps there is a darker, burnt orange color available?

If you just want to get an idea of what a particular color of bar tape would like, you can get a scrap of fabric or whatever you have handy and put it around the bars to see, generally, what it would look like.

I did something similar with my cages. I wanted to see what red cages would look like on my bike and all I had handy in the right shade of red was a fabric measuring tape. I wrapped around the old cages to get an idea.

I recently tried white shoelaces to see what white cable housing would look like and realized it wouldn't make much of a difference on my bike. Glad I saved myself the trouble.

I was going to suggest orange since it's wonderful with navy, but if you're not a fan I second the apple green recommendation. I love bright colors though. A light blue might look nice too if it's a lighter shade of the navy.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Add some bling with this!

Deda makes a bar tape called "chrome" and it looks like shiny chrome........

Here is a link to it:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...country=UNITED STATES

This is a UK company but I am sure you can find it for less in the US - likely on ebay......????

This is something you won't see anyone with!!!
    "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet - only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved" - Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Gowest View Post
    Deda makes a bar tape called "chrome" and it looks like shiny chrome........

Here is a link to it:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...country=UNITED STATES

This is a UK company but I am sure you can find it for less in the US - likely on ebay......????

This is something you won't see anyone with!!!
    It's really cheap in Amazon. I am not a fan of how the bars look with it. Along similar lines, Soma has metallic tape in bronze (so this could cross over to the orange without being orange). I like how the Fizik silver tape looks. It's more gray than silver.

The look of an antique brown leather bar tape with blue is nice. It's expensive, though.

ETA: If you go the shiny route, be prepared for people looking at your bike. I had my LBS surprise me with their choice of tape and the guys put a Fizik glossy red tape. Initially, I was shocked, but now I like a lot. It makes my bike look fast and it attracts some attention.

ETA #2: Whatever you do, have fun with it. It's not a permanent change, so you can try one and then change your mind in a couple of months or next season.
    Last edited by pll; 08-02-2012 at 03:54 PM.

I love Navy and Yellow together.

I would also do pink, but i happen to love pink.

How about a lighter blue?

I think white would look classy. (The word classy unfortunately reminds me of Donald Trump, who generally uses it to describe things that are the epitome of tackiness, but I honestly do think white would be pretty on that bike - more elegant than the silver in my opinion).

Edit: Especially with a white saddle.

Another edit: if I were to add color, it would probably be cages - and there are a lot of options that would be fun there.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 08-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.