Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

I think that Jamis is beautiful!

I can completely recommend the Specialized Vita, which is on the faster end of the hybrid spectrum. I'm not sure what the pricing is in dollars however. I learned to ride at 43 on a comfort bike, moved to a Vita and was just blown away by how much it changed and inspired my riding. It's not a road bike, but as Muirenn said will help you find your legs, and then when you do want a road bike as well you can just pop a rack and fenders onto the Vita and have a great utility bike too The Specialized Dolce might be an option too but I'm afraid I have no ideal on pricing.

Welcome to TE and congratulations on your weight-loss so far!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Keep it up! 44pounds lost...Wow!!!

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    Keep it up! 44pounds lost...Wow!!!

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle
    Thank you! It's been an interesting 6 months. I hope to lose another 26 in the next 6 months. My goal is to be 130, though if I were heavier, but with less than 20% body fat I'd be with with that as well.

On another note I stopped by the shop that carries the Jamis bikes. I had a mixed experience. The first clerk that helped me was clueless about almost everything and didn't offer to get me someone who could answer my questions. When I asked for someone the manager came over and he was very nice and knowledgeable.

I tried a 51 cm steel bike that I liked, but was just too tall. I would have injured some very important parts on that bike. The next size down was a white Ventura 48cm. I loved it! It was aluminum with a carbon fork and seatpost? I think he said.... For whatever reason I'm obsessed with white vehicles. I love white cars, motorcycles, bikes....

Anyway, things you don't think about as a new to cycles person....weight! The first thing he had me do was stand over the bike and pick it up to see how much room I had. I was shocked at how light it was. That was the first time I've ever actually picked up a road bike. All my bike experiences have been with Walmart bikes and they weigh a ton so I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking it would be heavy.

They did have some flat bar bikes there as well that were nice. All their 2011 models were on sale. If they had the steel in a smaller size I would have been seriously tempted. It had been reduced to $560.
    Last edited by thekarens; 07-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.