I've lurked for awhile but never been super active on TE. I'm a regular on another forum, and have trouble finding where I fit in here.

That said, I'm in a quandry. Next Friday I fly to the midwest to see the in-laws. I will be there for 3 whole days, plus 2 travel days. I looked into renting a road bike, but there are no lbs that rent road bikes. (What sort of hell am I flying myself into? )

My airline will charge me $20 to fly Claire in a box each way. Money is not an issue. I'm mostly concerned with hassle and damage. If the hassle of flying with Claire is not worth the potential 3 days of riding I will get, I'll leave her home. Likewise with the potential for damage.

The draw: Cycling, like skiing, is my drug. I've been ill for a few weeks, and not been on Claire much. I have the itch BAD right now. So, I could attempt to ride mid-week a bit to try and quell the thirst, but this idea has taken root in my brain, and you know the rest.

Plus, I live at altitude, and I'm kinda interested how being at relative sea level will change my mph average, or anything else I may feel.

If you've flown with your bike, do you think it would be worth it for a 3 day trip? It's to visit my in-laws, so it would give my DH time to visit with his parents, and give me necessary alone time. Thoughts?