Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Introduction and Some Questions

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I'm Jenn and I'm a newbie. I've been riding for a little over a month now and so far I love it! I can feel myself getting stronger with every ride. I ride with my boyfriend and sometimes another couple. I'm grateful to have my boyfriend to teach me and ride with me, and love having a sport that we can enjoy together.

I have a 2012 Giant Defy Composite 3, in a 44 cm. It's a men's bike, but the standover height is actually a teeny bit shorter than the women's version. When you're only 4'11", every little bit helps! The LBS switched out the handlebar for a more narrow one that fits me better (at no charge), and we added hot pink handlebar tape to make it look more "girly", lol. I'm still using toe clip pedals, but plan on getting clipless pedals when I'm comfortable enough. I absolutely love my bike and really enjoy riding it.

Questions are a couple of posts down.

Last edited by CyclingJenn; 07-15-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Awesome bike you have!...

So excited another Giant owner here... My Defy is on it's way. Should be here in a few weeks and I just can't wait. I am getting the men's model as well.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Nice! It's been a really great bike so far. I tried several different brands/models and I liked this one the best. My boyfriend and our other friend also have Giants, so we represent well when we ride together.

Introduction and Some Questions

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd just post some questions here.

First off, the saddle. I know this is more of an individual preference, but some recommendations would be a nice place to start. I'm riding the stock saddle that came with my bike. It's bothered me since the beginning, but I thought I would put some miles on it and then see how it felt. It still hurts. Even more so now that I am riding farther. I did 18 miles yesterday, with more climbing than I have done before. My lady bits were hurting pretty badly by the end of the ride. It feels like there is a lot of pressure on the soft tissue/sensitive area, plus some irritation from rubbing. I've tried tilting my seat down a bit in the front, but it hasn't helped. Any recommendations? What about places to buy? Ideally I'd like to try out some saddles first, but I'm not sure if my LBS carries any brands other than the specific bike brands that they sell.

Secondly, pedals and shoes. I don't think I'm quite ready to make the switch, since I am still getting used to riding and already concentrating on so many things. But, I do want to switch to clipless pedals sometime soon. I have small feet, so they would have to come in smaller sizes. I wear a 5 1/2 to a 6. Are there any pedals that are easier to get in and out of?

Lastly, are there any kinds of exercises or conditioning tricks that I can do outside of riding that would help me when riding?

[QUOTE=CyclingJenn;647034Are there any pedals that are easier to get in and out of?

Lastly, are there any kinds of exercises or conditioning tricks that I can do outside of riding that would help me when riding?[/QUOTE]

First, welcome to TE! Your bike is gorgeous!

Can't help you much with saddle questions as it is a hugely personal choice, and unfortunately, you might have to go through some duds to find saddle nirvana (if such a thing exists). It also takes a bit of riding to toughen up before you know if a saddle will work for you or not. I personally do well on Terry Butterfly, but it doesn't work for everyone. I have never had any success at all with non-cutout saddles. I get too much chafing on my inner tissues, and it hurts to pee after a ride. Can't deal with that.

Speedplay Frog pedals are the easiest pedals to get into and out of that I've ever used. However, they are "mountain" pedals so don't work with road shoes. However, I prefer "mountain" shoes because the cleats are recessed and they are easier to walk in than "road shoes" with external cleats. YMMV.

As far as your last question, it's better to ride than to do "other" exercises or activities. If you want to be a better, stronger, faster rider, then RIDE. It's really as simple as that. Core strength is helpful too, but other sports, such as running, weight training etc. don't translate as much as you might think to cycling. Just keep on riding and you will improve. Riding with people a little better than you (but not so much better/faster that you are miserable) is a great way to improve your technique and fitness.

Hope this helps a little!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by CyclingJenn View Post
    Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd just post some questions here.

First off, the saddle. I know this is more of an individual preference, but some recommendations would be a nice place to start. I'm riding the stock saddle that came with my bike. It's bothered me since the beginning, but I thought I would put some miles on it and then see how it felt. It still hurts. Even more so now that I am riding farther. I did 18 miles yesterday, with more climbing than I have done before. My lady bits were hurting pretty badly by the end of the ride. It feels like there is a lot of pressure on the soft tissue/sensitive area, plus some irritation from rubbing. I've tried tilting my seat down a bit in the front, but it hasn't helped. Any recommendations? What about places to buy? Ideally I'd like to try out some saddles first, but I'm not sure if my LBS carries any brands other than the specific bike brands that they sell.

Secondly, pedals and shoes. I don't think I'm quite ready to make the switch, since I am still getting used to riding and already concentrating on so many things. But, I do want to switch to clipless pedals sometime soon. I have small feet, so they would have to come in smaller sizes. I wear a 5 1/2 to a 6. Are there any pedals that are easier to get in and out of?

Lastly, are there any kinds of exercises or conditioning tricks that I can do outside of riding that would help me when riding?
    Welcome to TE! Woohoo, another Giant owner! I have the women's model from a few years ago.

The stock saddles that come on Giants are horrible! (I think I gave mine a week...) You have to make sure that the saddle is wide enough for your sit bones and determine whether or not you need a cut-out or indentation, and from there it's a lot of trial and error.
    Specialized's saddles have done well for me, and before that I had a Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow. Selle Italia makes nice saddles. They're just not the right shape for me. Take a gander at this thread for some tips.
    A few other questions: Are you wearing bike shorts? Without underwear? If you're not wearing cycling shorts with a chamois, you might consider doing so--the lack of seams near soft tissue helps with chafing, as does not wearing underwear with them. Chamois butter may also help, but my money is on the implement of torture that Giant thinks is a saddle.

Speedplays are supposed to be pretty easy to get in and out of.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Welcome! I am just shy of 4'11" so I understand how hard it is to find a bike that fits. I am impressed that two bottle cages fit in that small frame. My bike will only take one.

I do core exercise and some strength training, in part because I have arthritis and I need to keep my upper body strong. I like these for the core: www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047

I also have small feet. It is pretty easy to find small cycling shoes and the sizes in general seem to run small. I use road pedals, the Speedplay x series. Because I am a small person with narrow hips I had to special order pedals with the shortest shaft. Before ordering pedals you might work with a fitter to make sure that you are getting pedals that will work for you. I also had the opportunity to try several bike saddles when I was getting a fit and that helped me narrow down my choices to a t shape saddle.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 07-15-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Thank you for the replies, ladies.

Emily, thanks for the suggestion on the shoes. As for other exercises, I know that riding more will ultimately help me get better. I just meant, are there any other things that I can do in addition to riding that will help me. Like yoga, for example. I was trying to use my yoga breathing to help me with my climbing, which helps some, but I still get really winded. I ride with people who are better than me, but my boyfriend hangs back with me. I'm going to look into some group rides around my area. I'm hoping to find a women's group.

Owlie, I am wearing Sugoi bike shorts, with no underwear. Shorts and a helmet were the first two things I bought, and at the LBS. Everything else I waited and bought online. I'll look at that link, take my measurements, and go from there on the saddle. I'm glad it's not just me with the Giant saddle! I thought it might be just because I am new to road biking and needed to get used to the harder seat. But, I've put in some time with it and it is still horrible!

Goldfinch, it was really hard finding a bike that fit me. What bike do you have? I initially wanted to buy a used bike, but after searching for weeks and weeks, I finally realized that a used 44 cm would be hard to come by, much less one that actually worked for me. The two bottle cages just barely fit. I have a larger bottle on the lower one and a small bottle on the upper one. It's definitely a pretty tight fit! I'll look into those exercises. I think strengthening my core will be helpful. Thanks for the tips!

Welcome. Saddles are most definitely a personal choice. I'm just a bit taller than you, I'm 5'0. I own a Trek 2000 47cm (which I got lucky enough to find used) and last year bought a bran new Felt F5, which I love. I changed out the saddle after two rides with my Felt. The saddle that came on my Trek actually isn't too bad, but the one on that came on my Felt is horrible. I use Forte Pro which is actually a men's saddle.
    As for peddles I use ones that are clipless on one side and platform on the other side. I have no issues clipping in with my left foot, but still have issues with my right foot. I also like having the option to wear regular tennis shoes for a shorter ride as well.

Goldfinch, it was really hard finding a bike that fit me. What bike do you have? I initially wanted to buy a used bike, but after searching for weeks and weeks, I finally realized that a used 44 cm would be hard to come by, much less one that actually worked for me. The two bottle cages just barely fit. I have a larger bottle on the lower one and a small bottle on the upper one. It's definitely a pretty tight fit! I'll look into those exercises. I think strengthening my core will be helpful. Thanks for the tips!
    I have a Trek Madone that is the 43cm size with smaller wheels, 650s. Trek no longer makes a size this small.

You might check with your LBS to see if they have a program to try out saddles. Or, if they have used saddles or exchanged saddles to purchase for cheap or to try out.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 07-16-2012 at 03:31 AM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I love the pink accents with your black/white bike

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Performance and REI will let you return saddles as long as they are still like new. Specialized dealers will also usually let you try a saddle for 30 days as will Bontrager dealers. Make sure you don't go past the allowed trial time, and you might try putting some tape on the rails to make sure they don't get scratched.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Thanks Tigermom! I think the pink accents are great with the black too. I love, love, love my bike!

Thanks again for all the suggestions on finding a saddle. Two bike shops close to me let you try out the saddles, so I'm going to do that. I'll check out REI too. I'm going to measure my sit bones first and get a general idea of what I'm looking for first. It's just something I'm going to have to research more and then just try them out.

Koronin, what kind of pedals do you use? Are they road or mtb? I like the idea of having a platform on one side, for those times I just want to jump on my bike for a quick ride around the neighborhood without having to change into bike shoes first.

Koronin, what kind of pedals do you use? Are they road or mtb? I like the idea of having a platform on one side, for those times I just want to jump on my bike for a quick ride around the neighborhood without having to change into bike shoes first.
    I'm not Koronin, but I can tell you what I have on my hybrid... Shimano A530's. I use my hybrid for errands, riding with my family on the local MUPs, and ice cream runs to the DQ. The pedals take the two-bolt mountain bike SPD cleat on one side and are flat on the other. I almost never use the flat side, but like that it's there just in case. I have a pair of Keen Presidio Pedal shoes that I usually wear with them, although I have other shoes that are fitted with this cleat. If you want to be able to walk around, this pedal with a pair of mountain bike shoes would be a good system, IMO.

Awesome bike, btw. Cool pink accents! Good Luck!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

As a newbie and someone who wants to be comfortable, I bought mountain bike style shoes (so that I don't have to slap on plastic cleat covers whenever I walk around to get food/go to the bathroom).

I have the Shimano PD-M530 pedals/cleats. The clipless pedals have a huge bracket on them so that I can easily pedal with normal shoes or my clipless shoes. They are dual sided for easy clipless entry. However, these pedals are heavy. But I don't have to worry about flipping pedal sides for clipless/regular shoes.

I got them because I was worried that I would not be able to go fully clipless due to my clumsiness.

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle