Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach?

Coach?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So many of you have mentioned having a coach. Is this someone you see regularly? Is it on line? What do you think has been the biggest benefit to having a coach?

I wonder sometimes about hiring a coach for myself. I worry that it would take the fun out of training. "Now that I've paid someone to lay out a plan, if I don't follow through, it's a waste of money."

My swimming and biking are exactly where they were when I started 5 years ago. I've put zero focus into training those areas. My running has improved, but I wonder what I could I do if I had someone knowledgeable helping out.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

My biggest fear about working with a coach is that it's going to be like trying to find a good doctor, chiropractor, massage therapist, dentist, friend, spouse. I don't know if I can endure the bad ones to find the good one, and I don't know that I know enough people to get a good referral.

I am also a little afraid of a coach that is all about training professional/elite amateur athletes, though I know they have to make their money off of more than just that.

A lot of coaches have multiple levels - from just providing training plans, to the occasional phone consultation, to regular phone/email, to in-person.

I also wonder about women being coached by men vs. women. Is there a benefit? Does it matter?

I like the idea of someone who can take a training plan and make it work for me because when I compromise on a training plan I might be missing something important or just skipping rather than re-working. Having to sit down with someone and work through it might make for something that's more well-suited for me and helps me focus on where I need/want to improve.

I'm also interested in whether they help with nutrition, provide referral to nutritionist/dietitian, or something else. Food is such an important part of training and racing.

Looking forward to the answers to this one.

I don't have a coach (I have in the past...but not for tri), but I do have one in mind. He is someone I met through a friend and I've had the opportunity to watch him actually coaching his clients in two situations. One was for a timed TT simulation (20 minute indoor thing) and the other was at the tail end of a HIM. I liked his coaching style and I think we'd mesh well together. When (and if) I ever get back to running and tri, I'm going to secure his services.

Susan should have some feedback on this one. She's had multiple coaches for multiple sports, so she probably has some helpful advice.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

My personal trainer has a minor in sports nutrition and my work with her has really helped me to lose some body fat and changed how I eat. It hasn't made my sweet tooth go away though. . I'm also pretty convinced that all the weight work, core exercises and plyos have helped strengthen all the "little" muscles and have increased my power.

There's no way I 'd give up my time with her.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Hi V.

I've worked with coaches and I've done my own plans. I think it's really helpful to have a plan worked out and written up especially when you're trying to improve in a specific area. But, I don't think it has to come from a coach.

When I was a coached athlete I was sick more often and ended up with injuries because I would listen to my coach before I would listen to myself. When I started coaching myself (writing my own programs using the frame work set out in Joe Friel's book, The Triathelete's Training Bible) I learned to listen to my body's feedback better and I managed to do well in my last few seasons without the illness and injury. Keep in mind that most of my coaching was happening on line and not face to face. If I told my coaches I was tired, they would often encourage me to push through it. I realize now that when I was tired, I was really tired, not just being a wimp about training. I don't think my coaches could see that. Maybe they would have if the coaching was done more face to face.

I'm not quite done with my comments on this topic but that'll have to be it for now. I've got to get back to work. I hope to post a bit more later.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I've been looking at the Virtual Coach option at Training Peaks. I've been rather aimless in my training this year. That's my made my two races rather stress free so far, which kinda was my plan. And I'm having a lot of fun with my biking and running - but it hasn't really been "training" I think. I'm starting to think I'm ready to be a bit more purposeful. I have at least three more races scheduled this year - one a month.

I have Joe Friel's book and it makes sense, but the actually planning out of workouts and filling out forms seems overwhelming and tedious. I'd like a pick list.

You know, let me put in the dates of my races and the computer creates a calendar with what phase I should be in when. And then I can choose from a list what I need to do based on my limiters and schedule.

Does that make me lazy?

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

That thread belongs in the "Accessories" section.

You sound like my mother-in-law, "Can't use that; it's too nice." Use the bag.

That's also why we started drinking a bottle of champagne every weekend. Life is short,why leave it only for special occasions?

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

I have been coached and have coached others - endurance and ultra endurance events being the goals for both. I think it is great to work with someone as long as there are realistic goals and benchmarks and regular check ins to make sure everything is working.

I worked with Roger Rintala at Wenzel coaching. I also worked with him when I was coaching the Death Ride. He is wonderful The friends I have coached for doubles I was a little less structured, but it still worked (and now one of them regularly kicks my a$$. . ).
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I also have 2 Coach bags, but I am using my Roots ones now and prefer them.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I have a lovely Coach cashmere scarf. It's brown.

I'm interested in the discussion as well, because I've considered the possibility of a coach. I get bored very easily unless I'm pushed and challenged, but I'm also very skittish about going out on my own and trying new things. I feel like a coach could take me places (performance-wise) that I'd never get to on my own. I danced for 12 years, but the three I was in a performance group were infinitely more rigorous and demanding than the rest of them...and therefore more enjoyable to me. I like things to be achievable challenges, and with my riding right now, I'm not sure I even know what a reasonable challenge is.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

I've been using a coach since October of 2010. I was getting over an Achilles injury and wanted help with safely ramping up my running again. She got me through a winter solstice 5 miler and then I kept working with her for triathlon.

There have been so many positive for me from the experience. One is that I no longer have to try to puzzle out what I should be doing day-to-day and week-to-week. I could never quite figure out how to do build periods, rest weeks, etc, and it drove me crazy. Now, I get my "assignments" one or two weeks at a time and all I have to do is follow the plan. Second, she pushes me harder than I would push myself, but she pushes me in just the right ways to see real results. She listens to me and understands how I like to train and race and is good with working with my schedule.

The first tri season we worked together I went from being FOMOP to hitting the podium. My swim is stronger, my bike is stronger, my run is stronger, my confidence is improved, and I have a race strategy that works for me.

She's in Texas and I'm in Maryland. We work by email, text, Facebook, Beginner Triathlete, and telephone, as needed.

BTW, I first met her here, but she's no longer active: KSH. i lover her to death!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by HillSlugger View Post
    BTW, I first met her here, but she's no longer active: KSH. i lover her to death!
    Cool! I wondered how she was doing
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by HillSlugger View Post
    She's in Texas and I'm in Maryland. We work by email, text, Facebook, Beginner Triathlete, and telephone, as needed.

Very awesome! Also glad to hear she's doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I've been looking at the Virtual Coach option at Training Peaks. I've been rather aimless in my training this year. That's my made my two races rather stress free so far, which kinda was my plan. And I'm having a lot of fun with my biking and running - but it hasn't really been "training" I think. I'm starting to think I'm ready to be a bit more purposeful. I have at least three more races scheduled this year - one a month.

I have Joe Friel's book and it makes sense, but the actually planning out of workouts and filling out forms seems overwhelming and tedious. I'd like a pick list.

You know, let me put in the dates of my races and the computer creates a calendar with what phase I should be in when. And then I can choose from a list what I need to do based on my limiters and schedule.

Does that make me lazy?

Veronica
    I think that lazy is the last word that I would associate with you.

I think that what you've described may be the perfect solution. I just caution people that are uber-achievers about the dangers of putting it all into the hands of another. It's easy to get caught up in the plan and stop monitoring yourself properly. For one thing, many plans don't take into account our other day to day actoivities and stressors and like it or not, those impact our ability to train, recover from training and keep from getting injured or sick.

I am all for coaches. I better be since I am one!! I just think it's important to remember to self monitor appropriately. That's especially important if you have an online coach who does not get to see you face to face. Who can't see the bags under your eyes or the irritability that comes with over training. But a good coach is invaluable when it comes to improving your weak points and getting you past plateaus.

I hope that helps.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I have been using a coach for the last 1-1/2 years. I originally started with him just to work on my swimming and started using him as a tri coach when I decided I wanted to train for a HIM and IM.

He is local (works at my gym) and we meet 1:1 once a month, use training peaks to track my workouts and then email. Also since he's at my gym if I have other questions I know where to find him.

I tried originally doing my own plans but found with work and being so busy it was hard to figure everything out and get the right plan. I do agree that you need someone that understands you goals as well as can manage around your schedule (I work 50-60 hours a week and travel about 1 week every 5-6 weeks). I probably follow the schedule 90% of the time and he understands if I need to switch things around shorten or change if needed.

I think the two major benefits I have seen from the training is that it has prevented me from overtraining as well as I have seen a real improvement in my run time that last year. On my 1/2 marathon PR which was 5 minutes faster than my previous 1/2 marathon time I don't even think I would have tried to go at the pace I did if he hadn't based on my data told me I could do it :-)

Sharon