Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Stretchy shoelaces...good, bad or up to me...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been quiet & lurking in the hallways of TE for a while...THought I might jump into the light & ask about shoelaces of all things.

I've recently discovered these wonderful things called stretchy shoelaces but am now curious of whether or not to do distance events in them? Someone mentioned to me today that they're great if you're a triathlete & need them for transition but not for regular running.

Is this another "it's up to you & test it out Charlie Brown" thought...

Anywho, thanks & still not too sure how to accept that I ran a marathon yesterday...I was focused on the time it took me & not the event... *duh*

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I've been quiet & lurking in the hallways of TE for a while...THought I might jump into the light & ask about shoelaces of all things.

I've recently discovered these wonderful things called stretchy shoelaces but am now curious of whether or not to do distance events in them? Someone mentioned to me today that they're great if you're a triathlete & need them for transition but not for regular running.

Is this another "it's up to you & test it out Charlie Brown" thought...

Anywho, thanks & still not too sure how to accept that I ran a marathon yesterday...I was focused on the time it took me & not the event... *duh*
    I put stretchy shoelaces in my running shoes when I wore them (I wear FiveFingers now) originally for triathlons and just kept them in for all running. I probably ran hundreds of miles that way. Too lazy to change them? They were comfortable, my feet seemed fine in them, good enough for me!

Congrats on your marathon. It might take a couple days to soak in.

I haven't ever tried them. But I'm one of those people who laces their shoes very specifically to keep my feet from sliding this way and that, so I probably wouldn't want the extra give. Might be up to you

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I believe that you are referring to lock-laces or other shoe-laces that you don't have to tie.

I originally started uses them for tri but like them for all my running. I like them because they don't become un-tied or losen while you are running. I hate having to stop and tie my shoes during a race and this always seems to happen :-)

I also find that the fit is more secure and than with regular shoe-laces.
    The stretchiness helps in getting them on/off but they are very secure when walking/running.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Welcome back, crazycanuck- wondered where you ran off to. Don't be such a stranger, alright?

Congrats on your first mary!!

There are lots of options. These are the two most common ones you'll see. I have tried both. I currently have the Xtenex, but have used the lock laces. The Xtenex are nice because you can make certain parts of the shoe tighter than others (I like the toe box loose, the midfoot tight and the top loose)- can't do that with the lock laces. I use them for tris, but have them on my shoes all the time. I've run marathons, 5K's and ultras with them and have had no issues. Personally I love them.
    My hubs has the lock laces and loves them as much as I love my Xtenex. Give them a try and see what you think.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

test

Thanks for the replies

I decided to relace one of my pairs of running shoes with normal laces & my feet feel a bit better. I'll play around with the tightness of the stretchy laces my other pair of shoes as i've not broken them in yet...

The quest to decide continues....