Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Thanks Eden. I went to an in-store intro class at REI last week, which gave a good overview of different types of boats as well as related gear. Even if I love it, it won't be practical for me to buy a kayak anytime soon, but I could see investing in a good paddle and life jacket. Anyway after the class I bought a dry bag and zip-top bag for my phone. I also ordered a couple of long-sleeved swim shirts from LL Bean. Last summer I spent a lot of time looking for a new swimsuit that didn't look tragic on me, and found a tankini, a flippy little swim skirt and a pair of swim shorts. If at least one of the new swim shirts fits me, I'll have good options for hot or warm weather. I already have a pair of water shoes and a good lightweight baseball cap with a good visor. I'll dig out an old pair of cycling gloves for my hands.

Two things still to figure out -- I usually wear contact lenses. I don't expect to end up in the water during the intro class, but would like to be prepared just in case. (I am not the most coordinated person, and might end up moving the wrong way or otherwise doing something dumb that gets me soaked.) So I'm thinking of investing in a pair of tinted swim goggles. Otherwise I would wear my prescription sunglasses with Croakies to keep them from falling off.

The other thing I'm wondering is about drinks. I have plenty of water bottles, but am wondering if I need a bottle that could attach to the boat... if there is such a thing.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Swim goggles would get pretty uncomfortable after a bit, I paddle with my prescription sunglasses and croakies, work just fine even when I've had an oops.

Everything is attached when I paddle, unless it floats. A nalgene bottle floats nicely, my metal kanteen not so much, so it gets a carabiner in the loop and attached with a small piece of paracord.

Electra Townie 7D

I wear my prescription sunglasses with a strap that has some little floaties on the string so that even if they come off of my face I won't lose them. I usually just take a regular water bottle and stick it in my lap. The cycling gloves are an excellent idea - I often forget them and it's easy to get blisters from the paddle. I'm thinking I should get some un-padded ones someday, but bike gloves work fine. Oh- and buy a whistle - I believe it's required equipment when boating, they are cheap and you stick it in your mouth, so it's nice to have your own. Make sure you get a marine/outdoors one rather than a coach's whistle - some kinds won't work when wet.

I've only been unintentionally dumped into the water once... it was from a big boat wake that hit me just right to dump me over. On calm water it's easier to keep balanced than you think it will be.
    Last edited by Eden; 08-13-2017 at 12:11 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

So, the class was today. It was fun! We were on a lake in a state park, very flat with no waves or boat wakes to worry about. We practiced different types of strokes to go forward, backward and sideways, plus turns. We discussed what to do if you tip over but didn't actually practice it. The weather was pretty perfect, in the high 70s with enough clouds to keep the sun from being uncomfortable.

I am now looking into doing an outing or two before the cold weather sets in, so I can practice what I've learned. REI has a kayaking tour scheduled in a few weeks on a river that I'm very familiar with on land -- I do lots of cycling on both sides of it in the area where the tour will be held, including many visits to parks and wildlife sanctuaries on the shores. The skill level is beginner, but I would need to be able to paddle 8 miles. Would I be crazy to sign up for it?

The description says:

Explore a local wetland ecosystem by kayak
    Practice kayaking skills over a longer distance
    Get up close to migrating birds in their habitat.

I am thinking maybe this means there will be breaks and we will be going slowly at times.

Today's class was about 2.5-3 hours on the water. We paddled across the lake, practiced the different strokes, then circled around the lake on our way back to the launch. My arms did feel tired near the end. (I think I was using my arms too much and my core not enough -- something I need to work on.)

p.s. I was very glad to have had the advice of you ladies here before the class. It definitely helped me make sure I had the right gear. Thanks again!!

Gone but not forgotten:

Question: what to wear for flat-water kayaking in the fall, with air temps in the 60s-70s, maybe in the 50s? I do not plan to do any paddling in really cold conditions, but would like to try a few outings in Sept-Oct.

I have lots of winter bike gear. I was thinking (hoping) that tights (without a chamois) would be good. I have several, from unlined to somewhat lined and heavy AmFibs. Also I have some capris, including a wool pair.

For above the waist I have plenty of wool and fleece. For jackets I have a windbreaker (water resistant) as well as a Gore windstopper jacket.

For hands, do I need neoprene full finger gloves? And what about my feet? Wool socks inside my water shoes? My biggest problem with colder temps is ice-cold feet.

I am on a tight budget so am trying not to buy new gear unless it's really necessary.

Thanks!

Gone but not forgotten: