Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Running

June Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

6.2 miles on Sunday. It was quite warm, about 85 and no shade. I really wish tris did the swim last.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Today's run included some work on the track, and I had an audience. It was a little later in the morning than usual, maybe that was it. There were 4 or 5 people sitting out on their porch across the street watching, it was kinda creepy. Cool thing was the pair of little kids, walking to the day care in the community center, who actually cheered!

74 days until the Peak. It is full on humidity here in Florida. Luckily the sun was behind the clouds most of my run. 15 slow miles. I am giving myself permission to just run SLOW. And knowing I'll walk more in the later miles and I did. When I ran I held an OK pace. Since I normally only train for 1/2 marathons when I get above 13 miles it is new territory for me. I am working on endurance and mental toughness, what I think got me through Pikes Peak Ascent last year. I still need to work on getting in more runs and incline work on the treadmill mid week, but I am not getting in much. And this was a bad week as I had to put my 18 year old cat to sleep

Since I had this past Fri, Sat & Sunday off I did my 13 miles on Friday, biked 38 miles (rolling hills) Sat & first time Stand Up Paddle Boarding on Sunday. So very active week. And not much recovery time before I did todays 15 miler!

I have work and work conference (out of town) for the next 10 days straight...so hopefully I can do lots of short distance runs and time on TM for incline work .

K
    katluvr

((((((katluvr)))))) So sorry about your kitty. What a week you've had!

I'm getting somewhere with the PT now that we're working hard on the mid and upper back (the one place where I'm not having any symptoms). I've really started to notice it on my last couple of runs. I guess I knew in the back of my head how restricted my arm swing has been, but I never quite put it together. Hopefully I'll be coming out of this injury in better shape than I was before.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

After work I got in a nice 60 min run. I was afraid I was going to overheat as it is starting to get pretty warm here...upper 80s but it was not bad at all. Felt great then once I got home I did a quick 30 min weight workout.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Actually ran in my neighborhood this evening. It's been ages.
    Was supposed to do hill repeats with my running club's program at a local university. But....subway was late. Bus was late. Cats were needy. There was no way I was going to be able to take care of all I needed to at the house, get dressed, and get to the school (35 minute drive without traffic, which in next to never). So, I figured...I have to do hill work. I have lots of rolling hills right outside my front door. No need to drive to run. So...I did my 4 miles right out my door. Was actually a nice change of pace. And, my knee/peroneal tendon, which I had re-aggravated during Sunday's race, didn't bother me. So that was great. I'm still going to take late summer off of running (after my program's goal race and one last duathlon), and allow this to heal up properly. So, after mid-July, I'm on a self-imposed running exile. I intend to start up again at the beginning of October to prepare for the 5-mile Celtic Solstice in Baltimore in December.
    Still...happy to do 4 today.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

After all that heat in May, it's been unusually cool so far in June-- hooray! Amazing how much easier it is to go fast at 50F than 70F. Today was a tempo run, on the track this time in hope of maintaining a more even pace. Did 2 miles in 15:50 then slowed down considerably, 'cause I was sure feeling it. Still, I'm feeling good about this weekend's 5k. May not be a PR, but it should be a pretty good time, weather permitting, as it'll be the flattest race I've ever run.
    Last edited by skhill; 06-07-2012 at 08:46 AM.

So I'm in Minneapolis for the first time in my life. Here for a week long conf that starts this afternoon. So this AM was the only time I think I'll have free to enjoy and run outside. Hotel was about 8 blocks from the Mississippi River. Lots of friendly (walk/run/bike) trails here. It was gorgeous. Low humidity. I ran about 4 miles, lots of stops and walks to sight see. Lovely morning. Didn't pay much attention to pace, just enjoying myself!
    katluvr

I've been too sick to run since last Saturday - still coughing enough to make me uncomfortable. But I'm running the Garden of the Gods 10-miler tomorrow. Here goes nothing!

Good news is, it's supposed to be at least 10 degrees cooler than today. *fingers crossed*

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Good luck Jess!! I did that run many years ago and had a blast. Have fun.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    7 miles at a slow training pace with my program group this morning.
    Not a whisper of knee pain (but my quads were screaming with 1/4 mile to go - complaining about this plus that long bike ride yesterday with the N2 crew).
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

This morning was the "5k on the runway"-- a 5k run on the shorter runway out at our local airport. It was 2 laps around, quite flat, and the closest I've come to racing on a track. Except no track has jets taking off so nearby! I did a great job of maintaining an even pace, it just wasn't all that fast a pace. The first mile was 8:28, the second mile was 8:28, the third mile was 8:28. I did manage to step it up for the last little bit, and ended in 26:09 (I was hoping for about a minute faster than that). Don't know my placement yet-- I wasn't able to stick around for the awards and the results haven't been posted yet. But it was a good morning for a race, and an interesting location!

However, like most first-time events, there was one big hiccup. The portapottys weren't at the start/finish area, they were down at each end of the runway. Oops. Well, a lot of us got in a warmup dashing to and from the porta-potty shortly before start time!

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    Good luck Jess!! I did that run many years ago and had a blast. Have fun.
    That was one of the best organized races I've done. The first half of the course was really tough and mountain biking yesterday probably wasn't the smartest idea but I had a pretty good race. Finished in 1:37ish, I'm sore but not beat. The course was gorgeous, weather mostly cooperated (57-65 degrees, but a strong headwind for large chunks of the race). I highly recommen this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    That was one of the best organized races I've done. The first half of the course was really tough and mountain biking yesterday probably wasn't the smartest idea but I had a pretty good race. Finished in 1:37ish, I'm sore but not beat. The course was gorgeous, weather mostly cooperated (57-65 degrees, but a strong headwind for large chunks of the race). I highly recommen this one.
    Sounds great!! And you finished in a pretty darn good time too :-) Have you ever done the Georgetown to Idaho Springs run? That is a nice one too once you get away from I 70. Doesn't that run have some beautiful views?

No run for me today. Went for a nice long hike up in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    Sounds great!! And you finished in a pretty darn good time too :-) Have you ever done the Georgetown to Idaho Springs run? That is a nice one too once you get away from I 70. Doesn't that run have some beautiful views?

No run for me today. Went for a nice long hike up in the mountains.
    I'm thinking about it, but it's the week before Pikes. But it's mostly downhill, right? Net, anyway? Hmm. I just got talked into the Ragnar relay here too.

Also wanted to note, I have been racing in my Terry bike tunic (I have the gingobikes one but can't remember what the new ones are). It is absolutely my faaaaaavorite top to run in. And very easy to find in race pics I'm seriously enthralled with it.