Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last purchase was a Deuter Speedlite rucksack for commuting. Not glamorous but a real revelation and so much more comfortable than using my old Deuter hiking one.

Next purchase will be Carradice Kendal panniers http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php...&product_id=52 for my light tourer to replace my Ortliebs that have seen better days but are still functional. So, a while yet.

Yes, I have a thing about bags.

Last purchase was pedals and good old clips (pretty leather covered ones) for the folder.

Next probably a patch kit, because all the ones around here are way past prime.

Not too stylish, am I?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by NadiaMac View Post
    (I kind of want a geeky randonneur bike with a front rack)
    Why not keep the bike you have and install this:

http://www.rivbike.com/category-s/146.htm

If you don't have braze ons you can use clamps.

Last purchase Cateye Jido front light and Planet Bike Superflash rear light.

Next purchase: none. We already have plenty of Scotchlight reflective tape somewhere around this house which I plan to use creatively on the spokes for more side visibility. Also moving a spare bell to the road bike in case I use that on the trail.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Last purchase: new brake pads & a spare chain
    Next purchase: There are so many things my bike needs...Maybe a new battery for my downlow glow. Maybe a rear blinkie (I prefer to have 2, and only 1 works at the moment). I'm a bit desperate for a new jacket, the zipper on my pearl izumi is giving out finally after a good 4 years. Also desperate for shoes. Who knows which one will push its way to the top of the priorities.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Arkel bike panniers --they are wonderful, strong sturdy material and have several pockets which are useful for frequent commuting, bike touring trips and utilitarian rides to grocery stores. My current pannier will probably fall apart in about 18-24 months or so.

Ortelib are fine except most lines lack an extra built zippered pocket or so, for smaller things.

Then leftover money, a long cycling jersey (I only have 2 long sleeved cycling jerseys) and a lycra skort for short cycling around.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I'm a bit desperate for a new jacket, the zipper on my pearl izumi is giving out finally after a good 4 years.
    Zippers can be replaced for quite cheap. If you have an REI near you, that's an easy place to go. Drycleaners often do it also.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

My last commuting-related purchase was actually in the winter, and I bought the Light and Motion Vis-360 helmet lights. They are awesome! Between the cheap flasher on my bar, the very bright helmet light I've no problem seeing when I set off from home in pretty much total darkness. My part of Indianapolis doesn't have many street lights to begin with, but the first mile of my commute after leaving my complex has NO street lights at all. I don't commute every day, only once a week, but it makes my morning ride much safer. The light is USB chargeable

My next purchase will be another rear light to put on my Camelbak - I already have a tail-light on my rack, and the Vis360 has a huge red flasher on the back of my helmet. I might consider getting something reflective for my legs - the helmet light does emit an amber light to the sides so that helps.

Here is a YouTube video review of the 360.

Melalvai - how do you like the Downlow Glow? Is there any risk that it can scratch the paint? Is it easy to remove for non-commuting rides or is it a PITA to take on/off? How is the battery life? They currently have suspended sales as, apparently, they are preparing to come out with a new version of it. I will consider this for NEXT year if I stick with commuting...
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-31-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Like I said before I started commuting a week ago and I am loving it.

I went crazy this past weekend and pruchased

1. End bar rearview mirror
    2. Helmet/glasses rearview mirror
    3. New Helmet with LED safety light
    4. LED Spokelit
    5. Mini U-lock with security cable
    6. A couple cheap but nice looking bright color shirts for commuting

PS : I need a good water bottle that keeps my drink cold for at least 45 minutes . I also need a trunk bike rack (non hitch nor roof ) to hold at least 3 bikes (4 would be better though). I have a Toyota 4runner and a Volkswagen Golf hatchback. I need something that could go on both vehicles . Any suggestions?... something good but on the budget side. It will be use only on the weekends when I am planning on going bike riding with my kids and ocassionaly on family trips.

Thanks
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 06-18-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    I also need a trunk bike rack (non hitch nor roof ) to hold at least 3 bikes (4 would be better though). I have a Toyota 4runner and a Volkswagen Golf hatchback. I need something that could go on both vehicles . Any suggestions?... something good but on the budget side. It will be use only on the weekends when I am planning on going bike riding with my kids and ocassionaly on family trips.

Thanks
    With 4 bikes I'd be worried about a trunk rack. Can you at least get the kids bikes in the car leaving adult bikes on the trunk rack?

On the websites of the major rack mfr's websites Thule, Yakima, Saris etc you will be able to plug in your car make, model, year and it will tell you which racks fit your cars best. With a 4runner and a hatchback you may get two very different results.

Next bike purchase may be a seamstress alteration. My favorite rain jacket is an ancient Bellweather model. It's school buss yellow, vents well, has the pit zips, nicely lined collar, covered zipper. I really like it and they don't make these anymore.

I've lost weight, it fits differently. It fits well overall but catches on the seat as I dismount. I'll ride to my LSS (local seamstress shop) to ask what options they suggest.
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-18-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Thanks for the input Trek420.

My concern is that I really want to have room in the car or truck for a cooler , backpacks etc etc. I was thinking about a roof rack for the truck and one trunk bike rack to use on both vehicles ...but I really dont know how hard it is to mount the bikes on top of the roof . My kids have mountain bikes and I have a steel road bike for now (pretty heavy ). We sometimes invite a cousin or a friend to bike ride with us.